Menu

Doran or other chicken owners:

We just got 8 Americauna peeps today. These are much younger than the chickens we got last time, and my dd is very concerned they won't be warm enough if we put them in the garage (she has them set up in a nice big cardboard box in her room at the moment, sigh). I don't just want to force her to do this, I would like her to sort of come to the place on her own that this will be a good idea. With a heat light in the box with them, at what temperature does the area they are kept in need to be kept? It is still freezing at night here, I think that is what is worrying her. But I would rather not have to keep her door closed and worry about the cats getting in, or any ugly, weird, airborne baby chickie illnesses. If she reads here that one or more of you recommends that the garage is warm enough, that will help. TIA.

They need to be kept between 90 & 95 degrees for the first week. Then you reduce the temperature by 5 degrees a week until you get to 70 degrees. This is if you got day old chicks. If they are huddling together they are too cold. If they are searching out the corners of the box they are too hot. I don't know of anyplace in the US where they would survive a night in the garage just yet.

Here's my source:

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/chickcare.html

Good luck and enjoy them!

If they are newborns they need to be at 95 degrees. The heat can be gradually decreased after that. Regardless, if they are in an unheated garage and you still have freezing temps at night, I would give them a heat lamp. They are like human babies, in the beginning they cannot regulate their body temps.

The best way to tell if they need more heat or are too hot is by their position. If they are all heaped up on top of each other in a pile then they need more heat. If they are scattered away from the heat source then it is too hot.

This website might help:

http://backyardchickens.com/raising-chickens-basics.php

good luck! Keep us posted with how they do!

I should say, the garage will be fine if you put a light on them. A red light is better for chicks. The webist above reccomends a 250 watt red blub suspended 18" above the chicks. When they are under a white light 24/7 they tend to starting "picking" each other. They are canibalistic, you know. If you keep them clean and happy though, they don't turn on each other.

Ok, thanks for the reminder! We have the red light over them, but they are still staying together- I will turn her heat on and let them stay in her room for the rest of the week and see what happens- it is way to cold in the garage then. Thanks, and you can go to my blog to see pics of the peeps, too.

Maybe this will help since I'm in the same neck o' the woods as you. Whenever we get new chicks we keep them in the garage at first ~ and we usually get them around this time of year. Just put them in there with the heat lamp and they'll be fine.

:iagree:

The reason you are using a heat lamp (which, btw, is NOT the same as a red flood lamp bulb...it's a honkin' big wattage sucker like they use in them thar fancy hotel bathrooms! :001_smile:) is so that you can create an AREA that is 95°, and that is a large enough area that all the chicks can fit under/around the warm area at one time. Generally, they will circle up, around the ring of the light, where it is neither too hot, nor too cold. They also need areas outside the heat zone where they will run to eat/drink/scratch. I usually suspend a heat lamp from a well secured chain or drop cord (also be extraordinarily careful with securing it -- they are a fire hazard because they are so hot!) and set a simple household thermometer around the outside ring of light, adjusting the height in order to have that outer ring be about 95°. The lamp can be raised a bit each week after week one to gradually lower the overall ambient temperature.

Also, if they are day old chicks, you may need to show them how to drink by dipping their beaks in the waterer. Make sure they all do it.

What fun -- spring chicks! Yeah!

Doran

:iagree:

The reason you are using a heat lamp (which, btw, is NOT the same as a red flood lamp bulb...it's a honkin' big wattage sucker like they use in them thar fancy hotel bathrooms! :001_smile:) is so that you can create an AREA that is 95°, and that is a large enough area that all the chicks can fit under/around the warm area at one time. Generally, they will circle up, around the ring of the light, where it is neither too hot, nor too cold. They also need areas outside the heat zone where they will run to eat/drink/scratch. I usually suspend a heat lamp from a well secured chain or drop cord (also be extraordinarily careful with securing it -- they are a fire hazard because they are so hot!) and set a simple household thermometer around the outside ring of light, adjusting the height in order to have that outer ring be about 95°. The lamp can be raised a bit each week after week one to gradually lower the overall ambient temperature.

Also, if they are day old chicks, you may need to show them how to drink by dipping their beaks in the waterer. Make sure they all do it.

What fun -- spring chicks! Yeah!

Doran

Thank you! We have done all that- it was fun to show them how to drink- these peeps are much younger than the ones we got last time- they still have their little egg tooths!!

I am very glad we left them in dd's room though- it is SNOWING!!!! This is the latest in the year it has ever snowed here. They are much better off in dd's room tonight than out in the garage- even with the heat lamp.

Those little guys are ADORABLE!!! I miss having spring chicks to love!

May I be so bold as to make a small suggestion/correction. I *could* be wrong about this, so please let me know if I am. But, unless you went to a specialty breeder and paid a particularly large sum of money for your birds (which, undoubtedly, you could have), what you have are probably not true Araucanas. Araucanas are a rumpless breed which come, originally, from South America. They also have pronounced ear tufts. Here in America, we have popularized the blue/green egg laying bird by crossing it with a more productive breed. That means we actually get a fair number of eggs that also happen to be blue-green. However, the end result is that the birds we have are really mutts best known as Easter Eggers or just green egg layers, or sometimes Americanas. There is a breed called an Ameraucana which is fairly new and is recognized by the chicken authorities in some way (I'm not a big follower of these kinds of things). It has a tail, and ear muffs, which are different, I guess, than ear TUFTS. Here's one guy's take on the subject.

As far as I'm concerned, you can call them whatever you like. No skin off my nose :D. And, go ahead and serve me up some crow if you've actually got the really fancy breed. I just though I'd mention that.

Hugs,

Doran

I *could* be wrong about this, so please let me know if I am. But, unless you went to a specialty breeder and paid a particularly large sum of money for your birds (which, undoubtedly, you could have), what you have are probably not true Araucanas. Araucanas are a rumpless breed which come, originally, from South America. They also have pronounced ear tufts. Here in America, we have popularized the blue/green egg laying bird by crossing it with a more productive breed. That means we actually get a fair number of eggs that also happen to be blue-green. However, the end result is that the birds we have are really mutts best known as Easter Eggers or just green egg layers, or sometimes Americanas. There is a breed called an Ameraucana which is fairly new and is recognized by the chicken authorities in some way (I'm not a big follower of these kinds of things). It has a tail, and ear muffs, which are different, I guess, than ear TUFTS.

Hugs,

Doran

These *are* that blue-gray with tail and ear muffs- Ameraucaunas. If I wrote Araucanas, it was a grammar or spelling mistake, but yes, the breed we got is Ameraucauna. We paid the normal price, and got them because of the blue eggs (dd charges $5. a dozen and the folks that buy the eggs love the blue ones), and because they tend to be good pets. No fancy-shmancy breeds for us, nope!

Thanks for all your help with the chickens. The snow did not stick, but it was cold cold cold last night!

LB- we have an Americauna (or however you spell it) too. Her eggs are just a beautiful light green, all of our family's favorite color. (except Ava, she's still all about pink pink pink)

Did you mail order your chicks? We would like a few more, I think. Last year we decided on our breeds with the highly scientific method of the kids hovering over the huge container at Dell's and choosing the cutest ones. So we've got Buff Orpingtons, our best layers I think, Ameracuana, Rhode Island Red, and a Barred Rock. The Barred Rock has the most hysterical personality--she reminds us of Lady Cluck in the cartoon Robin Hood. She actually taunts our dogs when they are their pens.

Can you believe this snow? We have a couple inches on the ground, and it's still coming down.

They are in an un-attached garage right now. We have a cattle watering tank filled with a layer of sawdust, covered with old t-shirts (this way the dumb, cute little things don't eat the sawdust). They have a waterer and a feeder full of food--and food sprinkled around on the t-shirts, too. I have 2 heat lamps over them--I keep one going during the day and another added at night (although the 2nd only has a 100 watt bulb). I check their temp every 1 to 2 hours to be certain they are not frying or freezing during these first days of their lives--and change the lamps and bulbs (250/125/100 watt bulbs) to keep them at the right temp. Always keep a spare bulb around, because they have been known to shatter!

I just checked them--they were 100 degrees, and avoiding the heat lamp, so I turned off the 100 watt bulb and gave them some fresh t-shirts, water, and food.

I plan to post a picture of them on my blog tonight :-)))))

LB- we have an Americauna (or however you spell it) too. Her eggs are just a beautiful light green, all of our family's favorite color. (except Ava, she's still all about pink pink pink)

Did you mail order your chicks? We would like a few more, I think. Last year we decided on our breeds with the highly scientific method of the kids hovering over the huge container at Dell's and choosing the cutest ones. So we've got Buff Orpingtons, our best layers I think, Ameracuana, Rhode Island Red, and a Barred Rock. The Barred Rock has the most hysterical personality--she reminds us of Lady Cluck in the cartoon Robin Hood. She actually taunts our dogs when they are their pens.

Can you believe this snow? We have a couple inches on the ground, and it's still coming down.

We didn't mail order- we only wanted 8, so we drove out the the Grange in Issaquah- they get the chicks from the post office about 8:30, and they are usually gone by noon, so we were there bright and squirrelly. We picked Ameracuanas because they didn't have Buff Orpingtons, and the folks there told us that they thought Ameracuanas made better pets than the Orps. We also have 3 Wyandottes, and one Rhode Island Red.

We are very excited about having the green-blue eggs! The snow didn't last at our house- it was gone by 3 am. I was actually glad, as we needed to be somewhere today.

No advice -

But yeah! for the chickies!!!

We got our first batch a year ago - they are laying the most lovely, yummy eggs. We share with folks, and they can't BELIEVE the beautiful blue and green ones! It's so much fun. . . . . .the chickens (we have 7, now) treat my 9 yo like their mama. My girls pick 'em up and carry them around. . . very funny stuff.

BUT - just today I was wondering - they've been laying steady since January. How long til they stop? And THEN what do I do with them?

Funny story - In January, I called my 89 yo grandmother - former farm wife - to ask what you do for hens that won't lay. I'm expecting some nice, elderly, quaint folksy wisdom. You know, "make a mash" or "feed them corn meal" or - something -

What do I get?

Grandma: "Well now, you jest chop their little heads off an' call 'em dinner." (loud chuckles from grandmother)

Me: "GRANDMA!!!"

Would you know - they started laying the. next. day.

Thanks for letting me share!

Those little guys are ADORABLE!!! I miss having spring chicks to love!

May I be so bold as to make a small suggestion/correction. I *could* be wrong about this, so please let me know if I am. But, unless you went to a specialty breeder and paid a particularly large sum of money for your birds (which, undoubtedly, you could have), what you have are probably not true Araucanas. Araucanas are a rumpless breed which come, originally, from South America. They also have pronounced ear tufts. Here in America, we have popularized the blue/green egg laying bird by crossing it with a more productive breed. That means we actually get a fair number of eggs that also happen to be blue-green. However, the end result is that the birds we have are really mutts best known as Easter Eggers or just green egg layers, or sometimes Americanas. There is a breed called an Ameraucana which is fairly new and is recognized by the chicken authorities in some way (I'm not a big follower of these kinds of things). It has a tail, and ear muffs, which are different, I guess, than ear TUFTS. Here's one guy's take on the subject.

As far as I'm concerned, you can call them whatever you like. No skin off my nose :D. And, go ahead and serve me up some crow if you've actually got the really fancy breed. I just though I'd mention that.

Hugs,

Doran

I thought I had Aracaunas, they have ear tufts and are great layers!

They also have barely a comb compared with the other chicken.

What a let down! So, now years later, we find out we have what?...Americaunas? LOL

I thought I had Aracaunas, they have ear tufts and are great layers!

They also have barely a comb compared with the other chicken.

What a let down! So, now years later, we find out we have what?...Americaunas? LOL

To be honest, I even think "Americauna" is a stretch. People use it because it makes the bird sound fancier, IMHO, and takes the sting out of the whole "mutt" thing. We owned hundreds of the green egg laying birds over the years. I always called them Easter Eggers. That, or just Green Egg Layers. So unofficial sounding, I know! Truth is, you can call them anything you like. Except maybe late for dinner. :D (Badum-bum!)

Doran

To be honest, I even think "Americauna" is a stretch. People use it because it makes the bird sound fancier, IMHO, and takes the sting out of the whole "mutt" thing. We owned hundreds of the green egg laying birds over the years. I always called them Easter Eggers. That, or just Green Egg Layers. So unofficial sounding, I know! Truth is, you can call them anything you like. Except maybe late for dinner. :D (Badum-bum!)

Doran

We ordered hatchery Americaunas and had birds that gave five distinct egg shades: pale watery blue, blue, light green, blue-green, and olive! The olive-layer is a bird that was mauled by our border collies when they were pups. My dds nursed her back to health, and she is the only remaining Americeasteregger we have, thanks to the hawks and coons. :( They are wonderful birds.

We ordered hatchery Americaunas and had birds that gave five distinct egg shades: pale watery blue, blue, light green, blue-green, and olive! The olive-layer is a bird that was mauled by our border collies when they were pups. My dds nursed her back to health, and she is the only remaining Americeasteregger we have, thanks to the hawks and coons. :( They are wonderful birds.

We brought one chicken with us when we left the farm. The other "pets" were rehomed (is that a word?). But, this girl is lame, and so she needs special care. She is a 10 year old Americ-Easter-Green-Egg-cauna, that still LAYS EGGS!!!

Go figure.

Doran

Doran

Pretty much all our pets are mutts. :D

Why do some people get worked up over the word "mutt" anyway? Man, you should have seen the dagger-like glances the instructors at the obedience training school gave me when I responded "mutt" in answer to the breed question. Yeesh, these ladies would not accept that. They wrote "mixed breed" on their little form and spend 10 minutes trying to single out various breed traits in our little mutt.

We even have a horse mutt ::ducking and looking around for my girls:: One of our horses comes from a rancher who was trying to create a new breed, so my girls like to call their horse a Blazer. Me--I'm content with Mutt. :001_cool:

Doran

Yeah, I have to admit, I could care less what the breed is- the only reason I ever tell people is cuz they ask! I have to tell you- I had never even heard of all these different breeds before dd started up with the chickens.

We just got the "brand" of chickens that were available when we needed to get them, and because we were told they would be friendly and make good pets.

They are so cute, Doran! They are almost twice the size they were on Wednesday- who would have known how fast they grow! And I find it funny that they are supposed to grow up and be a blue-grey colour, but as babies they are pale yellow with dark brown stripes that go from their beak to their bum. THey are so cute!

So far, the names we have are Annie, Clarabel, Henrietta and Mabel (from THomas the tank engine fame), Winnie (as in the Pooh, or maybe the Peep), and Sweetie. The little one I am going to try to tame and train is nameless so far- I like Maizy, but keep thinking about the lazy Maizy in Horton Hatches an Egg. We have a friend of dd's coming over later today who helped name the first batch, so she will hopefully come up with a cool name for the last one.

This is so much fun!

And I find it funny that they are supposed to grow up and be a blue-grey colour, but as babies they are pale yellow with dark brown stripes that go from their beak to their bum. THey are so cute!

They may not be blue-gray. I've owned dozens, as I mentioned, and I've never had a blue-gray one. I'm not sure if that color is specific to the Ameracauna breed that is newly accepted among breeders and lays brown eggs, but the more typical coloring for the mixedmutts is a red/gold/black in varying shades. That said, our girl is a buff-white, and I've had all white, all black, nearly black, silver with red, and the most common red/gold blend.

No matter - if you're like me, you'll love them all the same! A little tip...tell your kids to listen for when the little cheep-peep noises they make start to switch over to more of a brrraack-cluck noise. Always a sign of adolescence! :001_smile:

Doran

Why do some people get worked up over the word "mutt" anyway? Man, you should have seen the dagger-like glances the instructors at the obedience training school gave me when I responded "mutt" in answer to the breed question. Yeesh, these ladies would not accept that. They wrote "mixed breed" on their little form and spend 10 minutes trying to single out various breed traits in our little mutt.

Me--I'm content with Mutt. :001_cool:

OK, this reminds me -

When I was first married to dh (who is 100% Portugese), his brother looked at me and said - "When I get married, it won't be to a mutt!"

:lol:

Welcome to the family, eh???

No matter - if you're like me, you'll love them all the same! A little tip...tell your kids to listen for when the little cheep-peep noises they make start to switch over to more of a brrraack-cluck noise. Always a sign of adolescence! :001_smile:

Doran

Yep, whatever they are will be great with us! And I love when the brrraach-cluck sorta sounds like they are trying to crow- the kids always laugh that the poor babies don't know if they want to be roosters or hens, lol.

And yes- I have even gotten in trouble for refering to myself as a mutt!! Go figure!