Menu

Passover Menus...please share

Hi again,

Many of you helped me with celebrating Hanukkah. Now I'm ready to glean information on celebrating Passover. We're Gentiles, but appreciate and love the Jewish feats, etc. We attended a Seder last year! I've rec'd some additional insight from a wtm'er....M, but thought I'd ask all of you.

What will your Passover Seder look like menu=wise. Would you share?

Thanks.

Sheryl <><

After the seder we start everyone off with a hard boiled egg and some salt water.

Chicken soup with Matzo Balls

Gefilte Fish

Brisket

Roasted Root Vegetables

another vegetable dish but I have not decided what it will be yet.

Here is a fun website to get some ideas:

http://www.theshiksa.com/The_Shiksa/Welcome.html

Ahhh, roaster root veggies, like what? Sounds very earthy and healthy.

Basically I take whatever vegetables I have on hand:

i.e. carrots, celery, peppers, beets, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, broccoli, onion, whatever you like

chop coarsely

toss into a zip loc bag a couple of tbls of olive oil and a packet or 2 of herb and garlic dressing from Good Seasons shake and dump into a roasting pan. Place in a 425 degree oven for 25 minutes or so, unitl done to your liking.

Sometimes, instead of a seasoning packet I will chop up garlic and toss in basil, oregano, crushed red pepper, thyme, a little sage, sea salt, and pepper. It really depends on my mood and how many minutes I need to shave off of prep time.

Are you looking for foods people traditionally eat at the meal, or foods used during the Seder service itself? The former are different and will vary by culture/background, while the latter are pretty standard (with some minor variations) everywhere.

Foods eaten during the Seder as part of the service include:

Matza

Charoset (this is to emulate the mortar the Jewish slaves used to build Pharoah's cities) -- made up of a combination of dates, apples, raisins, honey, nuts, cinnamon, sweet red wine -- recipes will vary by culture and family tradition but this is the main idea

Chazeret (grated fresh horseradish...be careful, this can be very painful!)

Bitter herb (can be romaine lettuce)

Karpas (salty vegetable -- some people use parsley dipped in salt water, some people use boiled potato dipped in salt water, there are various traditions for this).

On the seder plate should also be a roasted egg, and a roasted shankbone (or turkey leg, or chicken leg, or whatever). Most seder plates will have little pictures of what goes where, or labels.

You can pick up a Haggadah (literally, the "Telling"), this is the guidebook of the Seder service. Some grocery stores even give them for free, but they are pretty inexpensive if you live near a Jewish bookstore. Get one with English translation/explanation! This will explain all of the different foods and what they mean in the context of the Seder service.

Foods eaten as part of the meal --

Like I said, this will really, really vary by family and culture. Ashkenazi (of northern/eastern/western European descent) Jews will tend to have some or all of the following: chicken soup with vegetables/matza balls/chicken; gefilte fish -- this is a hard one to explain but it's basically ground whitefish/pike mashed up with egg, spices, mashed potato and cooked; salads; chicken or brisket or some kind of meat main dish; potato kugel or side dishes; Passover desserts (made with potato starch, etc. -- no leavened cakes).

There are some great Passover cookbooks out there, but a lot of us just modify our regular recipes to suit the restrictions of Pesach. I would go to www.chabad.org or www.aish.com and peruse the Passover/Pesach sections for ideas and information.

Chag kasher v'sameach!

Yes, thanks. I didn't make that clear, did I :glare:

The "Seder" foods for service I'm familar with. But, I'm needing food ideas for the actual meals. We were actually given a Haggadah so we're set with that.

All right, I need a Hebrew lesson here...what are these translated?

Pesach

Chag kasher v'sameach!

Thanks much!

Shalom!

Sheryl <><

Are you looking for foods people traditionally eat at the meal, or foods used during the Seder service itself? The former are different and will vary by culture/background, while the latter are pretty standard (with some minor variations) everywhere.

Matza

Charoset (this is to emulate the mortar the Jewish slaves used to build Pharoah's cities) -- made up of a combination of dates, apples, raisins, honey, nuts, cinnamon, sweet red wine -- recipes will vary by culture and family tradition but this is the main idea

Karpas (salty vegetable -- some people use parsley dipped in salt water, some people use boiled potato dipped in salt water, there are various traditions for this).

On the seder plate should also be a roasted egg, and a roasted shankbone (or turkey leg, or chicken leg, or whatever). Most seder plates will have little pictures of what goes where, or labels.

You can pick up a Haggadah (literally, the "Telling"), this is the guidebook of the Seder service. Some grocery stores even give them for free, but they are pretty inexpensive if you live near a Jewish bookstore. Get one with English translation/explanation! This will explain all of the different foods and what they mean in the context of the Seder service.

Like I said, this will really, really vary by family and culture. Ashkenazi (of northern/eastern/western European descent) Jews will tend to have some or all of the following: chicken soup with vegetables/matza balls/chicken; gefilte fish -- this is a hard one to explain but it's basically ground whitefish/pike mashed up with egg, spices, mashed potato and cooked; salads; chicken or brisket or some kind of meat main dish; potato kugel or side dishes; Passover desserts (made with potato starch, etc. -- no leavened cakes).

There are some great Passover cookbooks out there, but a lot of us just modify our regular recipes to suit the restrictions of Pesach. I would go to www.chabad.org or www.aish.com and peruse the Passover/Pesach sections for ideas and information.

Chag kasher v'sameach!

Yes, thanks. I didn't make that clear, did I :glare:

The "Seder" foods for service I'm familar with. But, I'm needing food ideas for the actual meals. We were actually given a Haggadah so we're set with that.

All right, I need a Hebrew lesson here...what are these translated?

Pesach

Chag kasher v'sameach!

Thanks much!

Shalom!

Sheryl <><

Pesach is Passover

Chag kasher v'sameach is a kosher and happy holiday.

Last year I served salmon, a big salad, steamed asparagus, potato kugel, matzoh ball soup, grapefruit granita, and walnut macaroons. The whole thing was pareve. This year my cousin is setting the menu, so I am not sure what we'll be having.

Last year (and this is our typical menu every year) we had:

Brisket

Roasted Root Vegetables

Matzo Ball Soup

Kugel

Dessert varies year to year - the rest pretty much stays the same. This year, however, will likely be a challenge as our kitchen appliances will be delivered (but not installed) on March 29 -- I am thinking that everything will come from Wegman's -- already cooked.

After the seder we start everyone off with a hard boiled egg and some salt water.

Chicken soup with Matzo Balls

Gefilte Fish

Brisket

Roasted Root Vegetables

another vegetable dish but I have not decided what it will be yet.

Here is a fun website to get some ideas:

http://www.theshiksa.com/The_Shiksa/Welcome.html

Is it common to serve meat from more than 1 source: chicken, fish and beef? I'm trying to figure out if I can just serve chicken or beef? The fish I think is strictly a type of fish...Gefilte that you mentioned.

Last year I served lamb, green beans, matzoh ball soup, beets (dh loves beets), honey orange chocolate cake for dessert.

Would LOVE this recipe...wanna share?

Matza

Like I said, this will really, really vary by family and culture. Ashkenazi (of northern/eastern/western European descent) Jews will tend to have some or all of the following: chicken soup with vegetables/matza balls/chicken; gefilte fish -- this is a hard one to explain but it's basically ground whitefish/pike mashed up with egg, spices, mashed potato and cooked; salads; chicken or brisket or some kind of meat main dish; potato kugel can I make noodle kugel? or side dishes; Passover desserts (made with potato starch, etc. -- no leavened cakes).

Chag kasher v'sameach!

Is it common to serve meat from more than 1 source: chicken, fish and beef? I'm trying to figure out if I can just serve chicken or beef? The fish I think is strictly a type of fish...Gefilte that you mentioned.

I have done turkey and brisket at the same meal. It really depends on how many people I am feeding. My family has only done gefilte fish because that is tradition. Although, I think one year my mother made a salmon mousse.

I have done turkey and brisket at the same meal. It really depends on how many people I am feeding. My family has only done gefilte fish because that is tradition. Although, I think one year my mother made a salmon mousse.

OK, thanks Kathy! This is our first home=prepared Seder so as you can see I have lots of questions. We have salmon alot, in fact we had it tonight for dinner. Thanks again, much appreciated!