Menu

"real life" math curriuclum

dancer67

I am looking for a "real life" math program for my 6th grader. Basically, a grade level appropriate book that explains interest on checking accounts, banking, buying things on sale and calculating percentage(I know covered in math books but usually not in a real life situation), self propriety etc.

Thank you :-)

You might be interested in the business math book put out by Simply Charlotte Mason, which has the child simulate running a business.

http://simplycharlottemason.com/books/your-business-math/

Oh, how exciting and timely!! Just this evening we were sitting around after dinner talking about all the things you need to consider with a business. We got into a fun scenario of owning a lemonade stand, discussing how many cups of lemonade we'd need to sell and at what price to make a $20 profit after all supply and labour costs, etc. We were all totally into it and having a great time. So... that's the long-winded way of saying I think my entire family would adore doing this together!

Oh, how exciting and timely!! Just this evening we were sitting around after dinner talking about all the things you need to consider with a business. We got into a fun scenario of owning a lemonade stand, discussing how many cups of lemonade we'd need to sell and at what price to make a $20 profit after all supply and labour costs, etc. We were all totally into it and having a great time. So... that's the long-winded way of saying I think my entire family would adore doing this together!

We love this game: http://www.lemonadegame.com/