Menu

Which state's laws?

So, let's say you live in one state, but you'll be temporarily relocating (for a year, maybe a year and a half) to another state. You will remain a resident of the first state (own home, registered vehicles, voting), but will be renting in another state.

What state's homeschool laws do you follow? :001_huh:

The ones that would cover me if a nosy neighbor decided to report me to CPS.:glare:

Ethically, I think you should be responsible to the state in which your child would be attending school during that time if s/he were in an institutional school.

Are there tremendously different requirements from one state to the other?

Thanks y'all. I wasn't sure exactly what I should do, but it certainly makes sense that we'd follow the new state's hs laws. It'll be a middle of the year move, so I guess we finish up following this state's requirements and then in the fall, start with the new?

The new state (MO) doesn't seem to require much different aside from teaching specific subjects, whereas the state in which we now reside (TN) requires yearly testing (we use an umbrella school) and turning in an attendance sheet.

ETA: The state doesn't require the testing or turning in the attendance, our umbrella school does. Just wanted to be clear on that.

Edited by TN Mama

The state the child is in if the child ends up staying a year.

If I was going to live in Ohio from January 2010 to April 2011 I'd follow Ohio's homeschooling laws for the first school year, then Maine's laws for the second school year because I'd have to report to Maine agencies in September 2011.

The state the child's parents will report to, if the parents are only in a different state a few months.

So if I was going to visit my mom in Georgia for the six months between November and May, I'd follow the guide lines for Maine because I have to report to that state's agencies with testing/portfolio review in September.

The state you are in. That is true except for a time that is like a vacation. How do I know? We are military and are here in VA temporarily while our permanent residence is Florida. For years, our permanent residence was CA while we lived in other states.

I agree. DH's home of record is Texas, mine is Oklahoma. Neither has any requirements. That would be nice but we must follow the laws of the state we are living in.:001_smile: