Menu

Question about Sonlight

rose_king

I have never used Sonlight, but I've heard great things. I won't try to use it with the oldest two, but was looking at it for the 4yro. The books look great. Would you use the PK3/4 or go straight for K? I was wondering if I buy the core for K could I use it for 2 yrs? :confused: Thanks for any help you may have. :001_smile:

Rose

I love my online advice buddies :grouphug:

I have never used Sonlight, but I've heard great things. I won't try to use it with the oldest two, but was looking at it for the 4yro. The books look great. Would you use the PK3/4 or go straight for K? I was wondering if I buy the core for K could I use it for 2 yrs? :confused: Thanks for any help you may have. :001_smile:

Rose

I love my online advice buddies :grouphug:

I'd use P 4/5. It's a perfectly good K program and would be a shame to miss it. Add the more appealing P 3/4 books that attract you if you feel you want more. Some of those would be a shame to miss too.

I have many of the Core K books, and most of them would sail right over the head of many four year olds--unless your kid is into longwinded accounts of 13th century heroes :D (The Apple and the Arrow). We're enjoying them so much more now then when I tried to read some of them last year (for K).

We have never done Sonlight but before I read WTM I was all about it! I would just get all of the books from the library. They are all read-alouds at that age so I would just start at the lowest level (the higher the level, the longer attn. span your child will need - the books get long and have less pics :001_smile:) I bought a lot of the books and I regret it. Now, I just get 50+ books at the library every time I go!

I'd use P 4/5. It's a perfectly good K program and would be a shame to miss it. Add the more appealing P 3/4 books that attract you if you feel you want more. Some of those would be a shame to miss too.

I have many of the Core K books, and most of them would sail right over the head of many four year olds--unless your kid is into longwinded accounts of 13th century heroes :D (The Apple and the Arrow). We're enjoying them so much more now then when I tried to read some of them last year (for K).

:iagree:I tried Core K with my dd (5.5 yo then) and returned it after about 10 weeks. It is A LOT when you add science, math, a full LA program, AND learning how to read. Core P4/5 was GREAT! My little one is 3.5yo and is doing P3/4 with some of the P4/5 books (mostly from LA). I might suggest that the P4/5 IG is NOT needed. Other than the first week, it is basically just a book list.

P4/5 made a fabulous K program for my ds this year. I think either P3/4 or P4/5 would be a good choice at 4, but some on the SL boards this year complained that some of the P4/5 books were over their 4yos heads and I can see how that would be the case. We're starting Core K for his 1st grade year soon and are really excited.

Despite the SL curriculum adviser advising me to NOT even buy the P4/5 Science (because of my big girl's age), I went ahead and bought the K Science instead!! When I was looking through the Instructor's Guide, she was already answering questions on the Activity Sheets - even questions towards the last weeks of the program. I knew she could handle the material and I'm not expecting mastery or anything (SL is just a filler until we start God's Design in 1st grade). She loves Newton's 1st Law now and that's at week 36 (I read her a section of the book that goes with the "physics" week).

Sooo...I think it depends on if you think your kiddo can understand/comprehend/attention span, etc the books. They list them out so you can see them and make that determination.

ETA: I chose Science K because it came with a supply kit and I wanted everything there ready for me! (there are just a few things I need to supply myself instead of everything)

Edited by MissKNG

We love Sonlight! At four, though, I would definitely choose one of the preschool programs - P3/4 and/or 4/5. Despite the title, Core K is NOT kindergarten level work. It's for an age range of 5-7 years, so yes, some use it for kindergarten (I use it for K and 1st grade) but it doesn't compare well to traditional kindergarten scope and sequence. Instead of a huge focus on ABC-123s it involves learning through listening to longer read-alouds without pictures, many of which have a emotional subjects younger children might not understand. If you're considering it, definitely check out Sonlight's Choosing Forum, which is free to access, because many find their 5 year olds struggle through it, and several Moms recommend it for age 6/first grade.

I don't think my 4 year old would have been ready, and my 5 year old doesn't grasp as much of the emotional content in the core stories whereas it's a great fit for my 7 year old. If DS were my only, I'd have done 4/5 for kindy and saved K for his first grade year, but I wanted to attempt to combine them. You can use a core over 2 years, but I'd suggest 4/5 for kindy and saving K for first grade if possible. We've read several of the 4/5 books from the library this year and have loved them; I'm sure it would make a great start to both your library and your DS's education!

Despite the SL curriculum adviser advising me to NOT even buy the P4/5 Science (because of my big girl's age), I went ahead and bought the K Science instead!! When I was looking through the Instructor's Guide, she was already answering questions on the Activity Sheets - even questions towards the last weeks of the program. I knew she could handle the material and I'm not expecting mastery or anything. She loves Newton's 1st Law now and that's at week 36 (I read her a section of the book that goes with the "physics" week).

Sooo...I think it depends on if you think your kiddo can understand/comprehend/attention span, etc the books. They list them out so you can see them and make that determination.

ETA: I chose Science K because it came with a supply kit and I wanted everything there ready for me!

You're right that SONIA (SL's computer-based curriculum advisor) can be problematic because it's just a computer program. However, the ladies at the Choosing SL forum are VERY helpful and experienced using the curriculum (I know you know this Miss KNG, but for the OP).

You're right that SONIA (SL's computer-based curriculum advisor) can be problematic because it's just a computer program. However, the ladies at the Choosing SL forum are VERY helpful and experienced using the curriculum (I know you know this Miss KNG, but for the OP).

Actually I used the live chat. Is that the same? The gal didn't seem like a computer because she was telling me about her kids too. But she still advised me not to buy! :tongue_smilie:

I love most of Sonlight. I loved P 3/4 much more than P 4/5. I am liking the looks of K too ( we are not doing the whole core, but just the read alouds and history, we will do science too ). If your son is listening to chapter books, then you could stretch out K.

I do not care for the LA of Sonlight at all. I love their science in the earlier grades.

It all depends on your child. P 3/4 is just good stories, lots of pictures. P 4/5 has longer stories and books with less pictures. Core K has chapter books.

ETA: I don't give a flip what Sonia says hehe. In the beginning she said no to me too. Now she just recommends the next core, even though my son is young for her computer logic. ;-)

Edited by alatexan68

Science is a whole 'nother animal. My little guy was an early reader and a good listener with a long attention span. He tolerated the Boxcar Children, but The Apple and the Arrow didn't get it. We did some science from K that year and he ate it up. I'm probably going to (somewhat) include him in his big sisters science next year. (It's what they do together in their free time with Usborne internet linked books anyway...)

My dd enjoyed it though (She was 8 at the time). She read all the K books herself in her free reading time. Lots of time to enjoy Core K.

The books from P 4/5 he listened to and liked much more--then read them again on his own. (So did my older kids. :D)

Despite the SL curriculum adviser advising me to NOT even buy the P4/5 Science (because of my big girl's age), I went ahead and bought the K Science instead!! When I was looking through the Instructor's Guide, she was already answering questions on the Activity Sheets - even questions towards the last weeks of the program. I knew she could handle the material and I'm not expecting mastery or anything (SL is just a filler until we start God's Design in 1st grade). She loves Newton's 1st Law now and that's at week 36 (I read her a section of the book that goes with the "physics" week).

ETA: I chose Science K because it came with a supply kit and I wanted everything there ready for me! (there are just a few things I need to supply myself instead of everything)

Actually I used the live chat. Is that the same? The gal didn't seem like a computer because she was telling me about her kids too. But she still advised me not to buy! :tongue_smilie:

Oh, no...that's not the same. Sorry. I'm surprised someone from live chat didn't recommend P4/5 science :confused:.

Thanks for taking the time to help. As always you have great advice. I think I will nix the K and go with one of the P cores. ;) All I want is the core and maybe the science. We'll see...:tongue_smilie:

Rose

Do they no longer include science readings with P 4/5? I really loved the Let's Read and Find Out series for that age.

Do they no longer include science readings with P 4/5? I really loved the Let's Read and Find Out series for that age.

Science is included in P3/4, not a separate instructor guide.

I'm using P4/5 for my 4yo right now, and it is a good fit. A couple of the books were a challenge for him to sit through, but he adjusted quickly and his attention span lengthened. I use LA K with the P4/5 though for him, which is learning letters and beginning to read. He is doing that already, so LA K fits with his level there.

I used P4/5 (called something different) for my oldest also, but did it for two years (ages 3 and 4) when he was young. Some of our favorites from that year are in P3/4 now and some are in P4/5. Even if you don't choose the whole program, their book list is a good one.

I knew they used to. Sonlight really changed that core right after I bought it making it even more of a K core.

We still have that Berenstain Bears book! :001_smile:

That is a great book. My favorites are the Robert E. Wells books that they include in P4/5 now. My oldest just pulled them off the shelf to read tonight...again and we'll be spending tomorrow building levers after the basketball game.

That is a great book. My favorites are the Robert E. Wells books that they include in P4/5 now. My oldest just pulled them off the shelf to read tonight...again and we'll be spending tomorrow building levers after the basketball game.

Thanks for the tip on the Wells book! I just ordered it! I'm not sure where my big girl picked it from but she's been making levers (like wedging a pencil under something and calling it a lever).