Menu

How to order curriculum from overseas?

Hive,

Anyone living outside the US - do you order your books from the US? What companies do you use? Who has the best shipping rates/policies? We really have nothing available here and while I have lovely family members willing to bring books when they come for a visit - that is not that often!

TIA for the tips!

It is a pain. Every time dh goes to America, I make a Rainbow Resource order. RR has great discounts and a lot of good materials. If he has room in his suitcase, I may also make an Amazon order. It does not take long to fill up those suitcases (weight is also an issue!).

There have been times when I have felt desperate, though, and have considered having someone Fed Ex something to me. Then I remember how a lightweight book cost my niece $50 to send, and I reevaluate if I really need that item or not.

Let me know if you need something quickly. Dh is going mid-April, and may be able to bring some things back for you. We've been meaning to get over to Bangalore . . . :001_smile:

Another thing is, many airlines have cargo services. I was looking this up recently; if you have a major airport near you (or could arrange to get there) AND you have a relative near a major airport who would box things up and take them to the airport, it seemed to me that it was somewhere around $100-ish to send 300kg of stuff, and it gets there as quickly as a plane does (i.e. next day). This is obviously only relevant if you have big airports around you and can deal with clearing customs of the stuff.

I haven't done it, but I thought it seemed surprisingly affordable.

Rainbow Resource rates are great IF you can order over $500.00 from them.

Then it is 20% of the total, and they ship first class, it comes quickly and they pay more in postage than they charge me.

Hewitt Homeschool has wonderful rates. Drop them an email and let them know where you live and about your situation.

Heart of Dakota, Memoria Press, Sonlight have all been wonderful to us. I email them about where we live, and they always have put the boxes into as many "flat rate" boxes as needed to send to us. It has been a really inexpensive way to ship as well. If it is all books, I generally have been able to get about 16 pounds per box!! That's pretty economical, considering. I use the largest box which is $ 53.95.

Rod and Staff charges 30% to ship.

If all else fails, I have books shipped to a friend (in the USA), who then waits until there is enough for a flat rate box, and she ships on to me. This works out especially well with the Super-Saver shipping that Amazon offers.

Peacehill Press, Simply Charlotte Mason, Christine Miller (Guerber books) are all now making available e-books for many of their materials. Instant access, no postage costs.

Hope there is something useful you can find in this.

Pamela

Edited by momto5blessings
more info

Thanks Everyone!!

Jodene - we would love to have you guys up for a visit!

I will check with all of the suggestions and see what works out.

I do LOVE a good e-book - I wish more were available. I got Lively Latin that way and really appreciatied that I could pay for the book and have it immediately!!

We use christian book discount (CBD) (even though we are atheist, we can find decent books there) - they have excellent shipping prices and even though MANY mailings go "missing" here (Mexico), CBD shipments have always (knock wood) arrived. But we do go to the US once a year and can stock up then (we didn't last year and are scrambling now).

Ok, I just saw that the bookdepository ships to Belize and they're only 4 hours away. Now, I'll DEFINITELY take a look at their website. Do you have friends in neighboring countries that can hold an order for you?

Edited by jamnkats