Menu

What to do for flying...

My ears do not do well with the pressure of flying, especially during landing. The pressure builds up in them and they hurt terribly and clog up. By the time we land they're fairly clogged and I can hardly hear! It takes 24048 hours for them to get back to normal.

I am flying to CA for a reunion this weekend, and am wondering if anyone has any ideas to help relieve the pressure for my poor ears?! :confused: They used to not do this, just in the last 3 or so years.

I'm hoping someone has a "cure/help" for this! Thankyou so much!

I have the same problem. I actually saw an ENT several years ago about it. He did a test on my ears and they way they handle pressure changes. Basically I was told my eustachian tube were very small, and there wasn't much I could do.

I do use those small accordian-like tubes (they are called Ear Planes I believe) and they are very helpful. Between those, chewing gum, and swallowing, I can usually do pretty well. I also have problems with driving in mountainous areas, so I have used the Ear Planes then.

I feel really bad for you because I know how much it hurts, and how much you cannot hear for the next few days. I have ended up in the ER before due to the pain, and one time it caused some terrible ear infections because I flew with a head cold.

I checked on the ear plugs that help with pressure. I never knew there was such a thing! Very cool---except with buying them on-line, I'm not sure if they'd get here in time!

I'm wondering if local drugstores or SOMEplace would have them??? Have to check that out.

Thanks for the help so far!

I checked on the ear plugs that help with pressure. I never knew there was such a thing! Very cool---except with buying them on-line, I'm not sure if they'd get here in time!

I'm wondering if local drugstores or SOMEplace would have them??? Have to check that out.

Thanks for the help so far!

I've always found mine at Wal-Mart, CVS, etc...I don't think you will have any problem finding them. Also, I get the children's size because my ears are pretty small.

I have the same problem. I actually saw an ENT several years ago about it. He did a test on my ears and they way they handle pressure changes. Basically I was told my eustachian tube were very small, and there wasn't much I could do.

I do use those small accordian-like tubes (they are called Ear Planes I believe) and they are very helpful. Between those, chewing gum, and swallowing, I can usually do pretty well. I also have problems with driving in mountainous areas, so I have used the Ear Planes then.

I feel really bad for you because I know how much it hurts, and how much you cannot hear for the next few days. I have ended up in the ER before due to the pain, and one time it caused some terrible ear infections because I flew with a head cold.

I feel for you, too! I don't know if I should see my doc about it (not before I go, but sometime) or not? Mine is probably like yours--small eustachian tubes.

Did you get your EarPlanes on-line? I'm hoping to find them locally somewhere, since I want to try to have them before this trip!

NEVERMIND, you asnwered this already! :D

Good luck finding them. I really think you should be able to. You'll have to let us know if they work for you this trip. I really think it will help some. I never fly/drive in high altitudes without them. :) Also, I put them in before take-off, and I do not take them out. I may readjust them (push them deeper in), but I don't take them out, even though you can remove once altitude is reached and reinsert prior to descent.

Do you know how to do the "val salva" maneuver? It's what SCUBA divers use when they're going down~down~down into the depths. :)

Close your mouth firmly, plug your nose with your fingers, and then BLOW. It may help to move your head from side to side while you blow, to stretch your eustachian tubes and allow the air to pass into your inner ear. Just keep doing this, over and over again, as you descend, to keep things open.

You might also take a decongestant about an hour before you plan to descend, if you think you might be congested.

I'm having some sinus problems right now, so I was afraid of what was going to happen flying if I didn't figure something out! I'll let you know if I find them, and if so, how they work! I'm praying it truly helps alleviate the problems!

Thankyou so much for your help!

Do you know how to do the "val salva" maneuver? It's what SCUBA divers use when they're going down~down~down into the depths. :)

Close your mouth firmly, plug your nose with your fingers, and then BLOW. It may help to move your head from side to side while you blow, to stretch your eustachian tubes and allow the air to pass into your inner ear. Just keep doing this, over and over again, as you descend, to keep things open.

You might also take a decongestant about an hour before you plan to descend, if you think you might be congested.

I didn't know it had an actual name :D, but I've done that. My result being that it didn't to help relieve the pressure. However, I did not do it over and over, just some. So, that would certainly be worth trying--doing it more consistently.

You can buy the ear planes at drug stores. Buy that brand... there is another... but my mom swears that the Ear planes are the best... Walgreens, I think... spots like that...

:-)

I saw another kind when I googled them--Flitemate. But I saw more reviews for EarPlane, so I was leaning that direction. Thanks, I'll try to find the EarPlane! We have a Walgreens right down the road!

I wish I'd have known about thses before! So glad I asked! :001_smile:

My mother suffers quite a bit with this. Years ago a flight attendant gave her this tip: Take a styrofoam cup, fill it with balled up napkins, and pour in enough hot water to soak the paper. Hold the cup(s) to your ear(s) during take-off/landing. Apparently it works wonders!
The heat helps somehow? Huh, I've never heard this. Maybe I can try that too! I just sooo don't want to have that pain and loss of hearing!!!

Thanks Melanie!

The heat helps somehow? Huh, I've never heard this. Maybe I can try that too! I just sooo don't want to have that pain and loss of hearing!!!

Thanks Melanie!

I'm guessing it's something to do with the heat helping the ear tubes expand (or keep from contracting), but that's just a guess! I've never gotten around to investigating it!

When SCUBA diving, I needed to do the valsalva maneuver about every three seconds while descending. Then, if I had pain, I would stop, go back up a little, and do it until the pressure was relieved before starting my descent again.

It's a little different in a plane because the pressure changes are much more radical in water than in the air. Also, obviously, you can't make the plane go back up. But, the principle is the same. You want to stay ahead of the pressure changes. Don't wait until it starts hurting to do it. Keep doing it every 5-10 seconds, starting when you feel/hear the plane start to go down. The pilot will usually make an announcement that you're starting your descent, but he may not do it right away. Just pay attention to how you're feeling in the seat, and other clues that you're descending (time left in flight, flight attendants collecting and stowing, engine sounds, angle of the horizon, etc).

If you find that one ear isn't clearing, stretch that side of your neck by tipping your head to the other side. It also helps to wiggle your jaw from side to side while you do it.

Practice at home, and then don't worry about looking funny on the plane. Who cares? It's better than being in pain.

When SCUBA diving, I needed to do the valsalva maneuver about every three seconds while descending. Then, if I had pain, I would stop, go back up a little, and do it until the pressure was relieved before starting my descent again.

It's a little different in a plane because the pressure changes are much more radical in water than in the air. Also, obviously, you can't make the plane go back up. But, the principle is the same. You want to stay ahead of the pressure changes. Don't wait until it starts hurting to do it. Keep doing it every 5-10 seconds, starting when you feel/hear the plane start to go down. The pilot will usually make an announcement that you're starting your descent, but he may not do it right away. Just pay attention to how you're feeling in the seat, and other clues that you're descending (time left in flight, flight attendants collecting and stowing, engine sounds, angle of the horizon, etc).

If you find that one ear isn't clearing, stretch that side of your neck by tipping your head to the other side. It also helps to wiggle your jaw from side to side while you do it.

Practice at home, and then don't worry about looking funny on the plane. Who cares? It's better than being in pain.

THANKYOU! This is good to know, and I WILL be trying this method! I am very thankful to all of you for taking time to help me out. I'm not afraid of flying, just afraid of the ear pain and hearing loss from the pressure! I'm thinking with all this help/advice, this could be a much better experience then my last few! :001_smile:

THANKYOU! This is good to know, and I WILL be trying this method! I am very thankful to all of you for taking time to help me out. I'm not afraid of flying, just afraid of the ear pain and hearing loss from the pressure! I'm thinking with all this help/advice, this could be a much better experience then my last few! :001_smile:

I hope you have a wonderful, pain-free trip!

As a former flyer in the USAF, I will concur that this advice is right on the money. In reference to pressure build up upon descent, the mantra we were taught from day one in training was, "stay ahead of it"

As stated above, be aware of when it's likely you will begin to descend. I'm sure a flight attendant would more than willing to give you a heads-up when you're getting close as well. As soon as you feel the plane starting to descend, start clearing your ears with the Val Salva. I find that it works better using the technique listed, but only try to blow out my nose while it is pinched and my mouth is closed. Also, it wouldn't hurt to do it periodically during the cruise portion of your flight. That way your ears would be good and equalized when it came time to descend.

As a matter of trivia for Suzanne in ABQ, you never should use the term "going down" or "go down" in aviation, especially while actually on the plane in flight. The negative connotations of such are strictly prohibited in that environment. Additionally, the use of the words smoke and fire is forbidden as well unless the plane is actually on fire at the time. In my USAF days, violation of these unwritten rules would require that the offender purchase a round of refreshments for the entire crew later at the Officer's Club. Want to know how I know? I've done that and have the t-shirt.

Good luck with your flight. Also, it doesn't hurt to carry an emergency bottle of Afrin to help get you through. Despite it being against the rules, there are many USAF aviators that do so. It beats dealing with a ruptured ear drum and the impacts that can have.

Edited by Dad 4 Boys

As a matter of trivia for Suzanne in ABQ, you never should use the term "going down" or "go down" in aviation, especially while actually on the plane in flight. The negative connotations of such are strictly prohibited in that environment. Additionally, the use of the words smoke and fire is forbidden as well unless the plane is actually on fire at the time. In my USAF days, violation of these unwritten rules would require that the offender purchase a round of refreshments for the entire crew later at the Officer's Club. Want to know how I know? I've done that and have the t-shirt.

Oooh! Thanks Dad 4 Boys, for the reminder. I learned that rule when I got my private pilot license, but that was almost 15 years ago. I'm not current, but my husband is, and I've spent enough hours in our two taildraggers (a Piper Pacer and a Cessna 195) that I really ought to know better! I'll share your admonishment with my husband (also an AF officer, but not an AF Pilot), and he'll buy you that (ahem) refreshment! :)

Edited by Suzanne in ABQ

I wonder if they sell ear planes at airport gift shops. If they don't, they should!

:iagree: I was thinking that too!

I'm going to go check tomorrow for the ear planes. Hopefully the Walgreen's near us has them! The Walmarts are farther (further? Not sure of my grammar!:tongue_smilie:) away, but I'm more than willing to look around, if need be, so I can get my hands on them to try!:001_smile:

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Thankyou again to all of you for your advice! I DID find EarPlanes at Walgreen's before I left. I used them on the way there and had no probems! On the way back, for some reason, the plug on the right side didn't work very well. It worked some, I think, but I started feeling the pain in my right ear, and when I took the ear plugs out, my right ear was plugged.

I thought it ended up being an interesting experiment. The ear that the plug worked in, had no pain, nor did I have any hearing loss in that ear. The one where the plug did not work had pain and loss of hearing. So now I know it's possible to fly without having to endure pain and hearing loss! :hurray: :party:

I'm not sure why one of the plugs didn't work though??? Maybe I didn't put it in right? :confused:

I also did some of the other things suggested and they did seem to help as well!

Thanks again, everyone, for taking the time to help me! :001_smile: