Menu

S/O other thread-plz help me think of independent school activities for 1st grader!

HappyGrace

I need school-related things my first grade ds can do independently while I work with previously independent dd10 who now needs me constantly due to her Lyme disease.

I can come up with some but any more ideas are helpful, thanks! Some ideas(thanks, Kim in SouthGA!): flash cards, math facts worksheets, math balance, mazes, computer learning games...

I'd love specific recommendations!!!!!!!

Could you have him work with his spelling words? Alphabetize, write the vowels in red, practice in shaving cream/sand, write with a different color, etc.

How about chores? Dd had to do some independent things when I taught her then 10th grade brother. She'd often empty the trash around the house, bring down the dirty towels (this took 2 trips or so), brush the dog, strip the beds, dust the living room, shake out the rugs in the den and under the dog's dish, empty the silverware in the dishwasher, spritz and wipe the front door window or the sliding glass door in the den, and several other things. I'd just give her two or three things to do. I did this for the 10th grader, too! lol For some reason, my boys always thought scrubbing the tub was quite fun. My house was cleaner when he was home...

Maybe he could draw a picture and write a super-short letter to his grandparents, aunts&uncles, etc. One letter and picture a week. Learn his address at the same time. Spelling doesn't matter.

A combination of short things, a couple of times a day, might really help you balance the two kiddos.

I think the independent work depends on the child. How good of a reader is he? For instance, my 1st grader can take his BJU reader, read the story, and do the workbook page all by himself. He can also do most of his CLE math lesson by himself. I only work on the counting, flash cards, and new part of the lesson.

There are some good comprehension and math practice workbooks at school supply stores. Those are usually in the homework helps section and are designed to be done independently.

If he has spelling words, you could put the lists into http://www.spellingcity.com so that he could practice online. The games are fun and free.

Here's a site with math games, and you can choose the grade level.

http://www.funbrain.com/brain/MathBrain/MathBrain.html

Hope this helps!

My 1st grader does the following pretty independently as long as I am in the room to redirect his far off stares! LOL

Math worksheet

Handwriting

Thinking skills workbook

Art - he does draw write now and colors

ETC online (phonics)

Anything that involves cutting/pasting once I make sure he understands the instructions

Science and Social Studies. We use CLE and he does a workbook style. He reads and answers questions. Usually he reads it to me and we go through the questions together, but he *could* easily do it by himself and save any questions for me when he finishes.