Menu

I hate, hate, hate this new forum. How can I make it like the old one?...

I read Jean's post and didn't understand it. Nothing I do trees the forum as a whole, only individual posts. The boxes make my head hurt when I scan. Scanning computer screens tends to give me a headache, but the old format at least was all text. Something about the new one's boxes and lines makes it difficult. I can't tell if I want to read a post unless I can see the threads under it and I don't have the time to open everything to see if I want to read it. It is looking like my major homeschooling support has just turned into something painful not helpful. Waaaaa! Can anyone help?

-Nan in Mass

You are a such a pleasant voice in my Internet world.

I wish that I could help you, but I too am figuring out this format. Would it help to disable the avatars and signatures? I think someone said you could do this.

Welcome aboard! I hope that this becomes less painful...

Jane

Sorry to hear you're having a frustrating experience so far. Hopefully, in time it will become easier for you. One thing I find helpful is to view the posts in "Hybrid Mode." I decide whether or not to open a thread that is new to me by hovering over the link to the thread with my cursor. A little box comes up with the first part of the comment & I can often tell if I'll be interested or not from that little bit. Then when I open the thread in hybrid mode, I can see at the top of the screen what new posts have been made to the thread. Since the first few words are included, I can usually tell whether I want to read the reply or not. Then I either scroll down to find it, or click on the link which takes me directly to a specific reply. I personally think viewing an individual thread in Hybrid Mode is most like the old forum, in that I can see the replies quickly, but then I don't have to keep clicking back and forth to read individual replies- except when they go beyond one page.

To set your preferences to hybrid mode you can click on the box at the far right side of the page titled "Display Modes" when you are in an individual thread.

Hybrid definately helps. And I've now figured out quick reply, which helps. Thank you.

If you change your settings in your user control panel to hybrid, it will stay that way for every thread. I'm just mentioning this because someone mentioned that it was a bother having to do it for each new thread (this way it always stays threaded).

I also use the 'sort by thread start time' in the options at the bottom of the page.

I'm just glad you're here!