Menu

All About Spelling

LadyAberlin

I'm going to be teaching a homeschooled 2nd grader all his LA. We will meet 2 days per week for 1.5 hrs. I'm trying figure out spelling. Do you think AAS could be implemented in that kind of setting? His mom wants me to be teaching him Phonics. English is her 3rd language and she just had a new baby so I can't burden her with too much stuff for her to do on her own time.

I think it might be too much for the mom. With AAS you have a lot of daily review of phonograms, sound cards, spelling rules, and then practice spelling the current and previous words. If you just did that stuff twice a week, I don't think you'd make much progress.

I think something like ETC might work. Each lesson covers about one phonics rule. You would be able to go over the rule with your student (using letter tiles if you want), assign 2 pages/day to do at home, and at that rate you would do about a lesson a week. You could check progress at your next meeting (presumably 3-4 days later). It would be fairly easy for the mom to correct the work using the TMs to make sure the child is on track.

we just startted and are doing it anywhere from 3-5 times a week....but it could be less. its about 20 mins sometimes faster....we just completed step 3. see my blog. i thought we would spend more time on segmenting words....but dd got it that instant. it was weird!

I'm going to be teaching a homeschooled 2nd grader all his LA. We will meet 2 days per week for 1.5 hrs. I'm trying figure out spelling. Do you think AAS could be implemented in that kind of setting? His mom wants me to be teaching him Phonics. English is her 3rd language and she just had a new baby so I can't burden her with too much stuff for her to do on her own time.

You might ask the author, she has tutored for the last 20 years, so she may have ideas to make it work. You could also ask on the Chatterbee, there are some tutors on there as well, and they might also have ideas for you.

Merry :-)

This is the program I use with my remedial students from 1st grade on up. The nonsense words really help with the guessing problems created by sight words. Also, the adding in of syllables helps them move easily into more complex words when you add in Webster after finishing Blend Phonics. Make sure you play a bit of the game every day, it's really helpful for preventing guessing. It combines spelling, spelling rules, and remedial phonics. Things they know well, just read and spell a few words from that unit. Things they don't know well, do the entire unit. You don't need both versions of Blend Phonics, you can work from just the Blend Phonics Reader, it's better for remedial students with a guessing habit from sight words.

Once or twice a week is enough if they don't continue to get too many sight words in the interim. I like to have them stop all outside reading for the first 2 or 3 weeks until they've broken the guessing habit, 50% of most texts are sight words, children's books have an even higher percentage, and specifically dumbed down books have around 90% sight words.

She could have him watch my phonics lessons on her days, that would help. But, you can accomplish a lot in just twice a week if you focus on the phonics and prevent any guessing. (If the student starts to guess, have them say each sound of every word before being allowed to say the whole word.)

I think it might work. The child might really love being worked with one on one. You could review the phonograms once when you start and once at the end. Not idea, but I think you can make it work.

Heather