Menu

He asked for more rigorous grammar (writing?) - pls advise

eternalknot

I'm not sure if I'm asking about a grammar or writing program; maybe both?

My 9 year old 3rd grader is an advanced reader, average speller, and former reluctant writer. He didn't enjoy writing until this year when we began using IEW (themed book), and now he spends a significant amount of his free time writing. He notices his knowledge of grammar and punctuation aren't keeping pace with his writing; he has asked me to teach him more, faster.

We do daily copywork and 2-4 pages of Easy Grammar 3/4. He enjoys both programs and doesn't wish to change them, he simply wants to know more grammar and punctuation now. We looked at samples of R&S and JAG, having researched threads here. JAG is appealing in that it looks like it can be taught in the shorter-term, then reviewed the rest of the year. R&S looks to be incredibly thorough but maybe overly repetitive? On a whim, I bought Harvey's at a used-book store and have flipped through it - not sure how to work with it.

He uses MUS for math and really likes the format: full lesson, mastery worksheets, small review of prior concepts. He is a quick, intuitive learner who prefers the big picture and likes to get straight to the meat of the lesson - more mastery than spiral, I think. Is there a grammar or writing program that works similarly?

i'm not sure what we'll do for writing next year -- either move to CW or continue with IEW, but use the whole enchilada instead a themed book (which we chose on advice from IEW to see if the style would fit with the student). I thought about sticking with IEW and EG, and just getting him a style manual to reference in the meanwhile. I figured there would be good advice to be had here first, though.

I sure appreciate any insight ...

R&S looks to be incredibly thorough but maybe overly repetitive?

The beauty of a textbook is you can skip exercises (or not do the whole thing) and just go over what's needed. I'll be using Rod and Staff 4 very lightly/quickly for my dd before going into 5. Since she's doing GWG 4 now, I'm certainly not going to do the whole book. I know she knows the four kinds of sentences for instance so I'm not even looking at those lessons.

Just thought I'd throw that out there before you rule out Rod and Staff.

I just spent two hours with my dd happily learning about the sound of words. Yesterday, we spent over an hour learning about verbs. We laughed; we chatted; we had fun. My dd is also an advanced reader and somewhat reluctant writer, but she loves our LA time now. We're using MCT Grammar Island series.

I can't tell you anything about the long-term retention, but she is learning and enjoying playing with words and sentences.

Why don't you just get him a guide? IEW recommends and sells the Blue Book, so that would be a great place to start. They also have the info on a website. It's just a really basic, readable source. It has large enough print to be comfortable at his age. He could study it to find sentences like what he's trying to write and figure out his answers for himself. :)

I was introduced to Analytical Grammar by someone on this forum. Checked it out, and plan on using it this next year. Go and look at the Jr. version. I found the vids very helpful. Give it a listen.

http://www.analyticalgrammar.com/

:iagree:

Although I've never used JAG, we completed AG in December. You may read my review here. It's clear and concise, goes straight to the heart of the matter, and it reminds me of MUS in the way that the weeks flow, the parent involvement, and the lessons.

There are videos at the website that do a good job of explaining the program.