Menu

What is your choice for college-prep high school chemistry curriculum?

Hi Janie,

I am using the DIVE CD for Chemistry along with both the Apologia chem texts. We are performing as many of the labs as possible at home and watching/doing write-ups for those we can't get the equipment for reasonably. It is working well for us; my son is learning a lot from the instructor. The pace is fst enough to be quite challenging, given the rest of his schedule.

I suggested this even though you are not interested in Apologia. You can use the DIVE CDs with a variety of texts. Most of his suggested texts are Christian, but he also has included secular texts.

Good luck finding what you need.

Blessings,

April

:lol:

Okay, at the risk of sounding totally stupid, what's the reason so many take Apologia out of the running? This isn't the first post I've read asking for other suggestions. Is it not rigorous enough? I'm asking because we're using it for Physical Science and plan on using it for either Biology or Chemistry next year - along with the DIVE.

Thank you! :001_smile:

:lol:

Okay' date=' at the risk of sounding totally stupid, what's the reason so many take Apologia out of the running? This isn't the first post I've read asking for other suggestions. Is it not rigorous enough? I'm asking because we're using it for Physical Science and plan on using it for either Biology or Chemistry next year - along with the DIVE.

Thank you! :001_smile:[/quote']

There are 3-4 reasons I usually see (1) Apologia is not written in a traditional textbook format (2) to be really well-prepared a student probably ought to do both chemistry texts (3) some people are put off by the author's views on certain issues (he's a YEC). Another reason you'll often see is that the lab portion is inadequate.

FWIW, my son used only the first Apologia chem text, and is doing well in college chemistry. He would have been better prepared and had an easier time last semester had he done both Apologia texts in hs, but still managed to pull an A. He didn't use the DIVE cd's, but did use Teaching Company and MicroChem labs.

No curriculum suits everyone, and I can tell you that while I prefer to get information from a more traditional textbook my son loved the Apologia format. Also, if the OP is looking for something to use in a classroom setting, Apologia's format is explicitly designed for homeschooling and might not be a good fit.

Edited by Martha in NM
added thought

My dd used the first Apologia book in 10th grade, then Zumdahl + DIVE + Chemistry Olympiad + AP study guides for 11th grade. She liked Zumdahl and really feels like she is well grounded in basic chemistry.

I have asked her if she would recommend doing Zumdahl over two years instead of Apologia Chem I the first, then Zumdahl the second. She has mixed feelings about using Zumdahl exclusively because she feels that Apologia was a gentle introduction that helped her be enthusiastic about her 2nd year of chem study. Zumdahl is great but much more intense. I still don't know what I'm going to do with my youngers for chem and am glad I have 2 years to stew about it. She's going to major in biochemistry starting next year, so maybe she'll be more opinionated in her advice then.

How's that for a non-answer?

GardenMom

We've used Spectrum Chemistry from Beginnings Publishing twice as our first high school chemistry. We love how it gets to the point, the wonderful labs, and how well my kids retained the material (they both went on to do AP chem with Zumdahl with no problems at all).

In my opinion (chem eng degree), the labs are particularly well thought-out and expand on the learning in the book. They work (!!) and all the supplies are in the kit, so there's no excuse not to have a lab weekly. They are definitely an integral part of this course.

~Kathy