Menu

HSing DD (7yo) starting in April. Overwhelmed

JJMom

We are moving back to America from Ontario, Canada in a few weeks and taking dd out of her school (2nd grade up here). We have a 16 month old and are expecting dd3 in May. We move often for dh's work and think HSing would just be best at this point. Anyway, she's 7 and skipped 1st grade due to age requirements being different from the States to Ontario. However, now we're in a pickle. I don't know where to start with looking for a curriculum. I'd like her to go back to her "normal" grade level (should be 1st grade) only because I don't want her to graduate at 17. However, academically, she's well beyond 1st grade math/reading/writing.

Here are my questions

1. Any suggestions or advice? (vague, I know)

2. How do a put a curriculum together that covers "everything" and yet keep it simple

3. How do I do this with a toddler and infant (on the way)?

4. Help :) (more of a plea than a question)

Oh, WTM would be great to give you guidance!

A lot of the recommendations are for flexible curricula--it's not a boxed curriculum, so you can do different levels--first grade math, maybe, with higher level reading, for example.

Some of the recommended materials have placement tests--Saxon and Singapore math, for two. SOTW can be used for grades 1-4, and it's world history, not American, so it tells you about everywhere, not just an American-centric perspective, which is useful if you live other places. The science rec's are flexible, too.

Check it out!

2. How do a put a curriculum together that covers "everything" and yet keep it simple

Well, here are my personal thoughts:

Don't worry about what "grade level" you call her. It doesn't make any difference. Just meet her where she's at right now.

I would highly suggest Five in a Row. It's not really a "classical" curriculum, because it's not chronological, but it is gentle and simple and easy and "covers everything" (sort of). It's a unit study based on picture books, like Madeline and Harold and the Purple Crayon, etc etc. You can do most of it sitting on the couch together, reading and discussing it.

As far as the toddler and infant ... well, at first/second grade level, you don't really need to spend much time, IMO. Two 45-minute sessions should be plenty, and I wouldn't stress out if you couldn't get in quite that much. Maybe one while the little one plays with play-doh, and the other while Little One naps.

Good luck!

Here are my questions

One of the great things about homeschooling is that you can keep her in the official grade you want while teaching her at the academic level you choose. I am doing that with my dd. According to her age, she would be in 2nd grade this year, and that is what I label her as when people ask or when placing her in Sunday school, etc. However, she is working academically at a third grade level in most subjects.

The 16-month-old will cause more challenges than the baby. Thankfully, when you feel recovered enough after the delivery to get back to schooling the baby will likely sleep right through most of it. The toddler...well, that's another story. :D Like a previous poster mentioned, this age level does not require a great deal of time. I was able to still school in the morning with dd when ds was that age. He was taking a long afternoon nap, and on off days I could school her during that time. However, most days I needed that time for my own rest and sanity, as I imagine you doubly will having a newborn as well. Ds did cause temporary distractions, but for the most part he was happy to play around while I worked with dd. You could put the toddler in a high chair near you with toys or books...something entertaining while still being close to mom. It does require a lot of flexibility, creativity, patience and trial and error, but it is definitely doable.

If you are okay with Christian materials, we have been very pleased with the CLE products. You can see their scope and sequence here. You also may want to look into a boxed curriculum, all-in-one type program like Sonlight. WTM will help you put together various materials in each subject, and Rebecca Rupp's Home Learning Year By Year is another great resource.

Best wishes to you on your journey!

My 16 month old ds will sit for us to get about 45 min. of school done, but I started when he was young, worked up slowly, adding 5 minutes a week, and I make it the HIGHLIGHT of his day. I plunk out big time for anything and everything I think will hold his attention. Peg puzzles, a set of tools, board books, magnet books, peekaboo blocks (LOVE these), all kinds of math manipulatives, you name it. I have them all in a laundry basket beside his chair, and I funnel them to him, one thing at a time. When all else fails, start feeding. After that time is up, he runs around and dd has to finish her work independently. She's older, so that's easy. Your dd is younger, so obviously she needs your help more. It's going to work out. Just start slowly and work your way up. Find things to entertain your toddler and make it positive. They can understand the timer, so set it and make it a big deal with cheering when it goes off, celebrating that they've done a good job. You'll figure it out. Oh, he also likes to color with crayons, markers, that sort of thing. It's just not so hard as you would think to multi-task and supervise math and read a board book at the same time. :)

Like the others said, your skill subjects like math you just place for where she is. Don't tackle too much at once. You can always add more later. My dd can do her science herself now, but that sort of thing you'll probably accomplish best while your toddler naps. If he doesn't nap, I'd probably enforce a quiet time in a padded room for an hour, just for your sanity. Mine naps, so I haven't had to do that. But I would if I needed to. :)

I would highly suggest Five in a Row. It's not really a "classical" curriculum, because it's not chronological, but it is gentle and simple and easy and "covers everything" (sort of). It's a unit study based on picture books, like Madeline and Harold and the Purple Crayon, etc etc. You can do most of it sitting on the couch together, reading and discussing it.

:iagree: We love FIAR. We are using it with dd5, but it is definitely appropriate for an older child, as there are many lessons of different levels to choose from. In addition to the regular lessons, we use it for vocabulary, copywork and narration. But you would need to add in a math program at bare minimum. We also do spelling and science programs.

Tracy

Thanks for the help. I don't know what the next few years will hold as far as hs vs p/priv school goes because I never know where we'll live and for how long. This is the second year we've pulled dd out of school before the year was over and it's difficult (maybe even more for me than her), so for how hsing and summer hsing is going to be the ticket.

Here's what I'm thinking of doing based on some of your suggestions:

Math program based on placement test

Reading/Lit/LA: need to look into curriculums like FIAR, TOG, Sonlight, etc. (daunting!)

History: need further research...maybe combined with reading if possible?

Science: no idea.

Spelling: no idea.

My toddler will have to adapt, I know. She's a whiney little thing, tho, so I'll have to be creative in finding what works to keep her busy. She does nap, thankfully! New baby...I'll cross that bridge soon enough.

I need to get my hands on a copy of WTM it seems. DD has been taking French for a year here in Ontario. Does anyone attempt a foreign language on their own at home? I do not speak a lick of French, but would like to keep her lessons going if possible.

My best suggestion is to start with math and reading. Then add to it slowly. I have not used any but have looked at different programs for French - this is something that can be done.

How well is your daughter reading? Does she still need phonics instruction or is she ready to be reading real books and narrating on them?

Just for your information. I started homeschooling 3 years ago. I started with handwriting, reading and math. Last year I added in unit studies in science and geography. I would do one unit study for a about a month take off a few weeks to pull the next one together then start a new one. This year I am now adding in a formal history and science program. My oldest is ready and so am I. I have learned how school works for our family and feel that we can add more to our schedule.

Personally I think if you start with the basics and add in more as you go you will do just fine. Remeber this is a major time of transition for your entire family and it is okay to just do the basics.

I would second CLE. It is inexpensive, easy to implement and seems like a solid program. That gives you some time to get a copy of WTM and get a feel for what you want. I also would start with math and language arts and really not worry about anything else yet. You are moving, expecting a baby and starting to homeschool - all in the next 3 mos! Just worry about the basics. Good luck!:D

Here's what I'm thinking of doing based on some of your suggestions:

Math program based on placement test

Reading/Lit/LA: need to look into curriculums like FIAR, TOG, Sonlight, etc. (daunting!)

History: need further research...maybe combined with reading if possible?

Science: no idea.

Spelling: no idea.

I know the curriculum research is really daunting! But especially if you are going to invest in TOG or Sonlight, you really have to do it. A little less so with FIAR, as it is not so expensive if you get your books from the library. I spent about $35 on the first volume to see if I liked it before buying the 2nd and 3rd volumes.

If you decide to go with TOG or Sonlight, you won't need a history program.

For science, you can get suggestions here if you can narrow down what you are looking for--a boxed curriculum that does it all for you, something that lets you go deeper into a subject, something that integrates other subjects, like reading. We just started Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding, and we just love it.

As for spelling, you will find some good suggestions in WTM, but if you post the specifics of what you are looking for here, lots of folks will chime in. Do you have a natural speller or a child that struggles with spelling, for example?

Tracy

For the french, we're crazy over L'Art de Lire (N'allenart) in our house.

If I could say, don't plunge into TOG or something huge like that right now. Like Cadam says, just start off SIMPLY. Find a history book to read to her and call it good for history. You can always do more later. There's just no need to overwhelm yourself like that right now. Figure out your LA and math, throw in a little bit of very fun, practical history and science, and call it good. On the history, SOTW or MFW ECC or just a basic spine (Rainbow Book of American History) would be good. CHOW would work. Just pick a single thing you can do. For the science, we did this book when my dd was that age. http://portal.acs.org/portal/acs/corg/content?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=PP_ARTICLEMAIN&node_id=554&use_sec=false&sec_url_var=region1&__uuid=364169a5-a8bc-4954-9272-47f6fc89938b It was WONDERFUL and very easy to implement.

If you are planning to put her back in school, then you don't want her to end up too far ahead. Go deeper instead of faster.

I am terribly disorganized. DD and I need to be told what to do. FIAR didn't work for us at all as a main curriculum. I do like their Christian Character supplement though. We also tried WinterPromise for science and I couldn't do that much for science every day, not to mention so many books to shuffle around.

Your DD is probably at about the same place as mine academically. You can see what has worked for us in my sig. Last year we combined history with reading. I am loving our workbooks! It really helps to keep her writing enough and to stretch her mind (Star Spangled States has scrambled words and such.)

If I could only recommend one program to you it would be Writing With Ease. It is wonderful for exposure to literature and writing. For math, look into Math Mammoth. (It is the 4th program we have tried.) Zaner-Bloser is the best handwriting, IMO. For spelling we are starting Phonics Road which will cover all LA subjects next year. Decide if you want a review of phonics and a rule-based spelling, or not, and we can help you decide from there. (I know some people do only Phonics Road and a math program and they give their kids an excellent foundation.) If you go with a spine like CHOW for history, don't forget to add pictures with a good encyclopedia.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

I know the feeling of being overwhelmed by hs. Relax:) It's going to be fine. When you take her out in April (that's right, isn't it?), I wouldn't do a thing until mid-late (or even beg. Sept.). Read up, lurk here and elsewhere, find your curriculum, then start. It sounds like you have plenty on your plate with a move, 2 dc, and an impending birth. Taking some time to deal with priorities and get yourself oriented is not going to do any harm at all, I promise. Also, I agree with a PP that hsing is perfect for a family that moves around.

Don't let any one book or curriculum overwhelm you. Don't compare your plans, decisions, and purchases to anyone else's. We all have different situations. I have 4 dc - ds (11), dd (7, severely disabled, in ps), dd(6) and ds (1.5). Between dd1 and ds2, we rarely meet my goals so, in January, I scaled back to basics. When ds2 is older, I'll do more but, for now, I just get things done.

Fortunately for you, your dd is young and basics are really what need to be focused on. Definitely get your Reading and Math lined out. I've used Saxon and Singapore and was happy with both. Saxon is very scripted, drill oriented but totally solid. Singapore's approach is more about understanding math. I often hear there isn't enough drill in it. Right now, we use Saxon 1 (for the K'er) and it's good. It's not challenging so sometimes we do more than 1 lesson but I can see the method doing it's job. Reading - we're still in phonics (1st grade level) so you are probably beyond us. I think others will be able to help you out more than I can.

If you really want to keep things as simple as possible, I'd recommend reading Latin Centered Curriculum. The idea is to hit main subjects every day (reading/phonics, Latin, math, copywork) and one "other" (science one day, history one day, etc.). This is what we're doing right now. Your schedule might look like this for First grade:

Reading - Does she needs phonics? If not, go on to Latin

Latin - Prima Latina, has instructional dvds which are a lifesave for me w/a toddler in the house

Math - Singapore or Saxon

Copywork - Beautiful Handwriting for Children by Penny Gardner (italics program, lovely)

*These subject are taught 1Xwk.

Religion - Bible stories, catechism, prayers (Egermeier's Bible is nice, read a story a day maybe or Leading Little Ones to God)

History - Children's History of the World (there's a schedule in LCC or do Story of the World and Activity Guide)

Geography - The Geography Book

Science - Nature study (I recently bought Considering God's Creation, 36 lessons, I'll use it as a guide for topics to get books from the library)

Literature - Fairy Tales and Tall Tales (schedule and rec. in LCC)

At this age, do the basics and spend the rest of the time reading together. I highly recommend reading LCC and the Charlotte Mason Companion.

For me, the LCC plan works best. Our home is very busy and unpredicatable. I can, at the very least, get a few subjects done a day but no way in the world can I do 6-7 and I don't think it's absolutely necessary.

Good luck!

Edited by elfinbaby

i just glanced through some of the responses and here is what i can add. having a 7 yr old myself, does this child work somewhat independently? how much of her work do you expect her to do herself? can she read herself? sonlight is alot of reading. maybe you can read short stories to her and the little one while the baby is sleeping (after may). cle is not so much parent-directed. with cle children can do alot on their own. i have mailed off for my own CLE language arts for my 7-yr old. i think he would enjoy it more than the R&S we are doing now. he is so wiggly! i agree about FIAR. i wish i would have known about it earlier. it sounds really good. i would stick to the basics now and throw in science and history if you can get to it. HTH. cheryl

Don't forget that there is a huge adjustment period when you start homeschooling. Your kid is going to be used to learning in a group environment that moves very, very slowly. Homeschooling provides no classroom full of kids to lurk behind and you either know the material or you don't. The information is a lot more condensed when it's one-on-one.

Also read Cathy Duffy's 100 Top Homeschool Picks (I should get a royalty for every time I've suggested her book :D).

Just for fun, here's what we're doing this year:

1st Grader: Sonlight Core 1+2 (social studies), Sonlight Readers 2 (Reading), CLE Reading 1 (reading), CLE LA 100, BJU Spelling, Horizons 1 (math), Mind Benders Beg Book 2 (math & logic, sorta), Child's History of the World, Map Skills 1st gr (geography, maps), Handwriting without Tears Printing Power, Apologia's Flying Creatures of the Fifth Day (science), Apologia's Swimming Creatures of the Fifth Day (science).

We will probably always use parts of Sonlight, but I pieced together our curriculum this year from 500 different sources (or so it seems).

As far as other kids goes...I have an 8 yro, 7 yro, 5 yro and 2 yro...I'm in the boat with ya' (hiding somewhere in a crate bound to a deserted tropical island :tongue_smilie:).

Thank you for all your helpful and kind responses...now, I'm off to digest. You're right about an adjustment period. My dd7 is quite the little home-body and is a distracted learner at school. I still think it will take her (and me) some time to get the "pace" of learning at home down. I'm going to do some research programs you all suggested and snoop from your signatures how you put it all together. However, I am taking the advice to start slowly. I just want this to be a success for dd because the poor gal has been through a LOT of transitions in the past two years (two babies, two long distance moves) and I don't want this to be a stress on her at all. So, long story short----thanks!

Here are my suggestions:

Reader from Hewitt Homeschooling to cover reading and history. Writing with Ease to cover literature, comprehension, writing, and grammar. Rod and Staff or How to Teach Spelling or Spelling Workout for spelling. BJUpress or Math Mammoth for math. If you don't want to skip science, then I suggest Real Science 4 Kids because it doesn't take much time out of the week or the year. ;)

We will be doing the social studies/science in my sig for both second and third grade. Then we will pick up with history again in 4th and switch science topics. (I just want to let you know that we aren't really doing all of that in one school year.)