Menu

Hands on science: the solar oven

Hello.

This link was mentioned in a magazine article that I was reading today. Those of you looking for a fun hands on project might enjoy this and the extensions that could be developed. And if having a solar oven leads to a reduction in your utility bills, your children will have a secondary reason to be proud.

Jane (thinking of warmer days ahead)

I have a Sun Oven, and recommend it!

It regularly gets up to 300-350 degrees on a sunny day.

Most things that people cook in crockpots would cook just great in a Sun Oven, and the smells and heat stay outside. Also, if you're out and about and change your mind about going home for dinner, you don't have to worry about burning the house down.

Hello.

This link was mentioned in a magazine article that I was reading today. Those of you looking for a fun hands on project might enjoy this and the extensions that could be developed. And if having a solar oven leads to a reduction in your utility bills, your children will have a secondary reason to be proud.

Jane (thinking of warmer days ahead)

Thank you, Jane, this one looks easy to make. I've always wanted to try a solar cooker, but only saw complicated designs.

We did this last summer and had a blast with it.

BIG TIP: Do NOT use black spray paint... we did and the oven "off-gassed" something terrible! There are paints that are appropriate for high heat, and won't leave you with chemical tasting brownies :).

(We have since purchased the Sun Oven, and love it!)

I went to a workshop about 2 years ago about building a solar oven and was sorely disappointed by what was suggested (using it to bake cookies one time was not what I had in mind). I wanted to build something very sturdy to use for making things like beans where the conservation of fuel would be significant. One man showed up with his giant homemade contraption but even he said he rarely used it. I was disappointed. So I appreciate the info.

We actually had Solar Oven Day when I was in 8th grade. We had a partner, and we made our ovens. It was a huge hit to be outside all day and to see whose oven worked fastest, didn't fall apart, etc. I think my partner and I made hot dogs and a frozen pizza. My friends made chocolate chip cookies that stayed pretty gooey :)

I think it's great that you can actually buy a Sun Oven now!