Menu

Is it too late for us to start Rightstart math?

dtb1999

So, I was reading the RS website and I noticed they mentioned that you should start RS with young children who have not yet developed the habit of counting in a traditional manner. We really have only been using Singapore Earlybird math. Ds is asking for more, he is definately ready for more. Has anyone had any problems with switching their kids to RS?

It shouldn't be a problem. The program starts out showing kids that they can see quantities without counting. For example, you put 2 objects out and ask her how many objects. Then you tell her she didn't need to count! It moves systematically from there to give the child strategies for not counting.

I think it is natural for a parent to count with her children, even without a curriculum so I'm surprised to see that on their website. :001_huh:

My DD already knew how to count when she started RS B. The RS names (i.e. "one ten two" instead of "twelve") did take a bit of getting used to but they are really only used in the beginning part of B. Learning them is worth it because it makes mental calculation so much easier later on. Whenever my DD is having trouble doing mental math, I ask her to restate the numbers in the problem using the RS names & that often helps her to get the correct answer.

Definately not too late. We have gone back and forth between RS and Singapore and dd is still doing well in RS. I would recommend starting with RS B as we found doing A and B too repetitive. Just be prepared to split a lesson into 2 or 3 days if you run into a hard concept.

Good Luck

Eleanor