Menu

Please help me think through my conspiracy theory?

Okay, I've thought about this off and on over the years, never obsessed enough to actually do anything about it. But here it goes . . .

My dd11 was born healthy but was eventually diagnosed with profound MR and in the autistic spectrum. A close friend of mine at the time (we don't talk much anymore, just too busy) was pregnant at the same time, and even though she had a scheduled c-section, went into labor early and ended up giving birth in the same hospital on the same day to a baby girl. They both are very similar in their disability. That's right, same day, same hospital, both profoundly MR and autistic. Like mine, her's was born healthy with no genetic diagnosis and only later through a long journey was labeled MR/disabled, although no definitive genetic diagnosis.

Now, my daughter was eventually diagnosed with a rare chromosome anomaly, which I always thought could only happen at conception. But some things I've read over the years makes me think maybe not.

If you put our dds next to each other, you would be stricken by their similarities. They are both beautiful (meaning no dismorphic features consistent with a genetic anomaly), both with complex neurological symptoms, non-verbal, autistic tendancies. The similarities go on and on.

I've often wondered if I could just find out if any other babies born that day or that week are also diagnosed with some sort of disability. Who knows, maybe a tainted Hep B vaccine or something? But with HIPPA law it seems next to impossible to find out, although I really don't know anything about birth records.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Blessings,

Lisa

So many thoughts are going through my head right now, but the one thing that stands out is:

Will knowing this affect how you treat her? Will it change anything?

If there was a problem like that, it would be awful. However, it doesn't change the fact that your dd is the way she is. KWIM? I suppose knowing could give a sense of closure, but is it worth it? If it were me, I would answer these questions before I went any further with theories. :grouphug:

I have a son with a prelim dx of PDD-NOS, I can't begin to imagine how hard it must be for you.

Okay, I've thought about this off and on over the years, never obsessed enough to actually do anything about it. But here it goes . . .

My dd11 was born healthy but was eventually diagnosed with profound MR and in the autistic spectrum. A close friend of mine at the time (we don't talk much anymore, just too busy) was pregnant at the same time, and even though she had a scheduled c-section, went into labor early and ended up giving birth in the same hospital on the same day to a baby girl. They both are very similar in their disability. That's right, same day, same hospital, both profoundly MR and autistic. Like mine, her's was born healthy with no genetic diagnosis and only later through a long journey was labeled MR/disabled, although no definitive genetic diagnosis.

Now, my daughter was eventually diagnosed with a rare chromosome anomaly, which I always thought could only happen at conception. But some things I've read over the years makes me think maybe not.

If you put our dds next to each other, you would be stricken by their similarities. They are both beautiful (meaning no dismorphic features consistent with a genetic anomaly), both with complex neurological symptoms, non-verbal, autistic tendancies. The similarities go on and on.

I've often wondered if I could just find out if any other babies born that day or that week are also diagnosed with some sort of disability. Who knows, maybe a tainted Hep B vaccine or something? But with HIPPA law it seems next to impossible to find out, although I really don't know anything about birth records.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Blessings,

Lisa

I pm'd you.

So many thoughts are going through my head right now, but the one thing that stands out is:

Will knowing this affect how you treat her? Will it change anything?

If there was a problem like that, it would be awful. However, it doesn't change the fact that your dd is the way she is. KWIM? I suppose knowing could give a sense of closure, but is it worth it? If it were me, I would answer these questions before I went any further with theories. :grouphug:

I have a son with a prelim dx of PDD-NOS, I can't begin to imagine how hard it must be for you.

These are good questions, and the answer is no, definitely would not change anything. I guess the reason it has never really lit a fire in me before is because were ARE so embracing of her and her uniqueness. We are very blessed to have a familiy, our children included, that not just "accepts" her but celebrates her specialness.

I guess this is why I've always been conflicted about digging into this.

Blessings,

Lisa

I would further ask, though...would knowing the answer to your question help others?

If so, I would then say pursue it, cautiously.

e

:iagree:That was my thought, too. Also, has the vac. been cleaned up, and if so, how much? Do they just "remove" (i.e., fiter out) the dangerous ingredients from this particular vac. under suspicion or do they make it a completely different way now?

I would think that they only way to find out about other babies born then & there would be to publish ads about it.

What's your gut feeling? Sounds like it is pointing to more than pure coincidence.

Are there vaccination networks you can get in contact with? As in, associations that collect the sort of information you are yourself piecing together? There must be some- they might be able to help you with more pieces to the puzzle- and your information may help them too. You may find it's more than you and your friend's children.

And it may make you feel better to be part of something that helps more people. Or maybe you can go no further and you can put it to rest.

I certainly don't feel you are unreasonable in your questioning the coincidence.

Thought I'd throw in my two cents... Forgive me if I'm too blunt.

Given that you said your daughter was diagnosed with a rare chromosome abnormality, and that such abnormalities are present from conception, and that your friend's child has no such abnormality, it seems pretty clear that both being autistic and MR is most likely coincidental. I've read that anywhere from 50% to 80% of people with autism have some degree of MR, so two children having both isn't uncommon, and statistically, it's far from impossible that two babies who will eventually be diagnosed with autism could be born on the same day in the same hospital.

When was your dd diagnosed with autism? I know that most kids are diagnosed between two and three, or thereabouts, so it would be pretty strange if something potent enough to cause actual damage to one child's DNA that was given to both children within their first few days of life didn't cause any symptoms for at least a couple of years.