Menu

homemade mayo

I really want to start making this from scratch, but I don't know how long it will stay fresh in the fridge....does anybody here know...that will determine how much I make at once...also, I have one recipe, but would be interested in seeing others....so if you have one that you like, can you share?? THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fresh Mayonnaise

1 egg

1/2 tsp. dry mustard

1/2 tbs. lemon juice

1/2 tsp. salt

1 cup oil (safflower or sunflower preferred)

Break egg into a deep bowl and put mustard on top. Beat in lemon juice using a fork or wire whisk. Beat in salt.

Beat in oil in a slow, steady stream without stopping until mayonnaise thickens or "grabs". This is easiest to do with two people - one to beat and one to pour. Keep chilled and use within a month.

Makes 1 cup.

To make mayo in a food processor or a blender:

Combine egg, mustard. lemon juice and salt in machine. Add 1/4 c. oil all at once, blend and then add remaining oil in a slow, steady stream through the feeder cap until it becomes mayonnaise.

This recipe comes from Nikki and David Goldbeck's American Wholefoods Cuisine which I highly recommend.

I've been making my own mayo for over 30 years. :-) I just usually make as much as I'll probably need in a week or two.

Here's my recipe, which I got from "The Supermarket Handbook." It might be slightly modified, but I can't check to be sure as I gave my book away. :-)

1 egg

2 tsp. vinegar or lemon juice

1/2 tsp. dry mustard

1/4 tsp. salt

1 cup oil

Put egg, seasonings, vinegar, and about 1/4 c. oil in blender or food processorProcess for about a minute (the combination of egg, vinegar, and oil makes an emulsion). S.l.o.w.l.y add the rest of the oil and process for about a minute. Scoop out your yummy mayo into a storage container and refrigerate.

Notes:

• I use a vegetable-seasoned salt. It adds a little different flavor.
  • I don't like mayo made with lemon juice; you can experiment to see what you like, but just don't try distilled vinegar. Trust me on this.
  • I use extra light olive oil, but any kind will work, although Wesson oil was nasty.
  • I like the food processor better than a blender--easier to clean up! I also like the food processor better than a stick blender, because the blades and assembly, which are immersed in the oil, will get gummed up over time (same thing with a blender) and then they don't work properly. Ask me how I know this.:tongue_smilie:

I just wanted to add that people with compromised immune systems are usually advised not to eat raw eggs like in homemade mayo. (Old people and young kids too). Using pasteurized eggs will supposedly reduce the risk of salmonella (I think it is salmonella that is the issue).

Homemade mayo is really good. Also homemade aioli.

I just wanted to add that people with compromised immune systems are usually advised not to eat raw eggs like in homemade mayo. (Old people and young kids too). Using pasteurized eggs will supposedly reduce the risk of salmonella (I think it is salmonella that is the issue).

Homemade mayo is really good. Also homemade aioli.

Does anybody else have infor on this. I am using range free eggs and and I thought they were to be safe to eat raw...am I wrong??

• 1 month later...
Fresh Mayonnaise

1 egg

1/2 tsp. dry mustard

1/2 tbs. lemon juice

1/2 tsp. salt

1 cup oil (safflower or sunflower preferred)

Makes 1 cup.

To make mayo in a food processor or a blender:

Combine egg, mustard. lemon juice and salt in machine. Add 1/4 c. oil all at once, blend and then add remaining oil in a slow, steady stream through the feeder cap until it becomes mayonnaise.

This recipe comes from Nikki and David Goldbeck's American Wholefoods Cuisine which I highly recommend.

Thanks for sharing this recipe. My family liked it. I used 1/2 light olive oil and 1/2 corn oil. It turned out much more similar to commercial mayonnaise than the recipe I have been using.

I won't be purchasing corn oil in the future but had some in the pantry to use up. So I'll try another oil next time.

Thanks for sharing this recipe. My family liked it. I used 1/2 light olive oil and 1/2 corn oil. It turned out much more similar to commercial mayonnaise than the recipe I have been using.

I won't be purchasing corn oil in the future but had some in the pantry to use up. So I'll try another oil next time.

Great! I'm glad that your family liked it.

Mine (which came from the Supermarket Handbook, slightly altered):

1 cup oil

1 egg

2 tsp vinegar

½ tsp. dry mustard

½ (or less) salt

Put 1/4 c. oil, egg, vinegar and seasonings into bowl of food processor. Process for 30 seconds-1 minute. S.l.o.w.l.y add the rest of the oil. Process a little longer. Voila! Yummy mayo. :)

I keep mine in a Tupperware bowl. It lasts a couple of weeks. I usually just make one "serving" at a time, unless I know I'm going to be using lots of it for things like tuna salad or deviled eggs.

We prefer vinegar to lemon juice, tastewise. I like a red wine vinegar, but a cider vinegar is fine. Tarragon vinegar was not so great. Don't use distilled vinegar. Nasty.

I use extra light olive oil, but any other light-colored oil works just as well (extra virgin makes the mayo a nasty color, lol, bit if you're going to make, say, deviled eggs, the color won't matter). Crisco oil was nasty.

I prefer the food processor to either a blender or a stick/immersion blender. It's difficult to scrape all the mayo out of a blender container, and the blade mechanisms on both the blender and the stick/immersion blenders eventually get all gummed up and don't "spin" as easily. BTDT.

Hi, I just wanted to chime in! I use this recipe: http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/2009/07/homemade-coconut-oil-mayonnaise.html for Coconut Oil Mayonnaise. Coconut Oil is better if you're ever going to heat it (like I use homemade mayo with parmesan & spices on top of salmon & cook it). Olive Oil is perfect (and less of a strong flavor) if you're just going to use it like regular cold mayo (no cooking involved). Olive Oil turns into a trans-fat when it is heated (trans-fats are the bad ones).

We get farm fresh eggs, and I feed my homemade mayo to my kids and to myself (and I have an autoimmune disease), and we're all fine. :) I would not use raw store-bought eggs. Your chance of getting salmonella from farm fresh eggs is soooooooo small. Food-bourne illnesses like that usually come from factory-chickens, not from small farms who take care of their animals & manage things the right way.

Just my 2 cents!

~~Brenda :)