Menu

Help me pick out flooring for my basement

Dh, the kids, and I just spend the day painting our basement. We move a few months ago and the basement was "finished." Um. . . well . . . not comfortably! It had panelling and a drop ceiling and a tile floor. We're getting glass block windows and an egress window put in later this week.

So, we painted it an off-white today (ceiling and walls). It looks so much bigger already!!! Anyway, I need help picking a flooring.

We use that area of the basement for the kids. Their toys are down there (in a closet), as is a tv/game system and two comfy couches. We want something that is warm and comfy and durable. We've considered a commercial grade carpet and that's about it. Is there something else out there that I just don't know about?

Thanks!!

Let me preface this by saying I haven't researched this. My sil has a beach house and was looking for a durable, yet appealing floor material. They've decided on Cork flooring?!? It's soft and she says it's durable. (They have lots of traffic from the beach) Try looking into it and maybe someone else here has some experience with it.

Just an idea of something you might not have thought of. :001_smile:

They've decided on Cork flooring?!? It's soft and she says it's durable. (They have lots of traffic from the beach) Try looking into it and maybe someone else here has some experience with it.

Just an idea of something you might not have thought of. :001_smile:

My parents have cork in their basement. I'll have to ask them why they chose it.

Have you seen it? What do you think?

I'm just a bit worried because they say not to use cork on floors that may get wet. Our basement has been dry so far, but I'm just nervous it may not stay that way!!

We put berber style carpet in the basement of our previous home and plan to do the same in our new home. I can't believe how well it wears - we just moved out and it still looks great after 8 years. I've never even had it cleaned, just vacuumed here and there.

That's what we did in our previous home. I'm leaning toward doing it again. It was soft and comfy for the kids to play on and very durable!

Thanks!!

We were at the State Fair last year and saw this cool rubber flooring and if I had the money, that would make a nice floor for a basement.

Have fun.

Kristine

Do you remember the name of it? I'll look it up on line.

My kids saw a commercial where two guys had rubber flooring and they bounced things back and forth. They asked me for this!! I thought they were kidding!! LOL

We put berber style carpet in the basement of our previous home and plan to do the same in our new home. I can't believe how well it wears - we just moved out and it still looks great after 8 years. I've never even had it cleaned, just vacuumed here and there.

And I have a friend with berber and *double* padding. It is PERFECT. I never would have thought of doubling the padding, but it feels like a cloud under your feet and cleans in a snap.

Do you remember the name of it? I'll look it up on line.

My kids saw a commercial where two guys had rubber flooring and they bounced things back and forth. They asked me for this!! I thought they were kidding!! LOL

I don't, but I'm guessing if you did a search for rubber flooring you might get some hits, or even residential rubber flooring. I just looked quick and this place looks like it has a lot of information: http://rubbercal.com/Residential_Applications.html

HTH.

Kristine

And I have a friend with berber and *double* padding. It is PERFECT. I never would have thought of doubling the padding, but it feels like a cloud under your feet and cleans in a snap.

Is it in her basement? I ask because I worry that my allergic son would have issues should any carpet be in the house, let alone in a basement that we are new to. I just worry about mold and my ds! It would be SOOOO nice to have a nice soft flooring down there! (The rest of the house is hard wood.)

Is it in her basement? I ask because I worry that my allergic son would have issues should any carpet be in the house, let alone in a basement that we are new to. I just worry about mold and my ds! It would be SOOOO nice to have a nice soft flooring down there! (The rest of the house is hard wood.)

Yes, it's in her basement over a concrete slab. She keeps a dehumidifier running and squirts Fabreeze allergy spray around occasionally. And she keeps house like a German hausfrau. Well, she IS a German hausfau, so.. :-)

They live in Bel Air, MD, so it's not terribly humid like it would be down here.

I looked at cork for my sunroom and really liked it. I ended up with Fiberfloor though because of money and because I found the *perfect* look for my room. If feels great, easy to install, and cleans great.

http://www.tarkett-floors.com/floors/site/en-us/topic/fiberfloor/offer.asp

That looks neat, so did you get the car track?? :D :lol:

Just kidding.

Kristine

We put wood laminate flooring in our basement. Whatever you choose, make sure you research vapor barriers. Our basement rarely leaks, but these last rains, 6 inches or so, on top of (so to speak) of 12" of melting snow cause leaking. We had the vapor barrier and a super-duper dehumidifier and have had no problems with the flooring. I would be VERY hesitant to put carpeting down unless you are POSITIVE there are no leaks. Once it gets wet from underneath, it is almost impossible to get it completely dry.

Our basement is our classroom, so carpeting is not even needed, but if it was, I would probably get a large area rug. One that is easily removed if needed.

hth