Menu

Math Mammoth Users--

home4school

Well, we're only in 2nd so I'm not sure if this will apply to 5th, but my daughter usually reads the instructions and proceeds independantly, only asking for my help if something isn't clear to her. I do read through them as well just to make sure I also know where she's going, but I usually have to do very little. The handful of times I have had to help explain something a quick read of the instructions is enough to help me clearly explain it to her and, looking at later samples, that seems to be consistent as the lessons get more difficult. The entire program is laid out very well! We're very pleased with it.

My 11ds is using MM 4. I kind of think it depends on the child. My son has a hard time reading instructions and following them. I read them to him than he has a 'light' bulb moment. My son is academically challenged. Everything is hard for him.

But yes, everything is laid out for you and if your child is a good reader and comprehends well then I don't think she will have a problem.

There is no separate teacher manual, so everything is in the student text.

We used 5th grade MM as a refresher. I did not really "teach" ds anything, unless he had a question. I would present a concept he wasn't familiar with, of course. And Maria has several ways to approach a problem, so I was regularly reminding ds of those approaches, so he could find which worked best for him.

HTH!

I'm using Math Mammoth with my 1st & 4th graders. My older daughter loves it because there isn't a lot of me teaching to her. The examples at the beginning of each section are very explanatory and it moves into multi-step calculations slowly through the lesson.

Most days we go through the example together and then I pick one or two other problems that we do together and then she finishes the lesson on her own. Other days she will pull out her math lesson and just do it alone. Then we go over it together after she has finished. If she seems to be stuck somewhere we will stop and spend sometime working together until she 'gets' it. I do not spend a lot of time 'teaching' math.

Amy

I'm using Math Mammoth with my 1st & 4th graders. My older daughter loves it because there isn't a lot of me teaching to her. The examples at the beginning of each section are very explanatory and it moves into multi-step calculations slowly through the lesson.

Most days we go through the example together and then I pick one or two other problems that we do together and then she finishes the lesson on her own. Other days she will pull out her math lesson and just do it alone. Then we go over it together after she has finished. If she seems to be stuck somewhere we will stop and spend sometime working together until she 'gets' it. I do not spend a lot of time 'teaching' math.

Amy

Does it work this way with the 1st grader as well?

Does it work this way with the 1st grader as well?

With my first grader I am generally near her when she does her math, just because she sometimes needs the encouragement, but I'm not having to teach her for a long period of time either. Like dd10, we'll go over the new material and do several problem sets until I am sure she understands. Then, I can sit with her and help if she is stumped, but also be working with dd10 or dd5 at the table.

I really like how MM is presented with every step of math laid out. Both my daughters have not only enjoyed and learned more in math this year, but are understanding why the math works.

Amy

At the 5th grade level, I didn't spend any time teaching the lesson ~ I just skimmed the directions myself, then gave the lesson pages to DS. He would read the directions and do the problems, then I would go over it with him and discuss any mistakes.

The problems are really set up so that if the student doesn't get it, it's apparent right away. It's not the kind of program you can do for months and then discover that your child really doesn't get it, or none of it "stuck." Once in a while DS would say he didn't know how to do something (like how to diagram a particular word problem), so I would go through it with him step by step, and the lightbulb would go on. He's retained everything ~ and this is after years of him thinking math was a foreign language he would never understand, let alone be fluent in.

Jackie

The problems are really set up so that if the student doesn't get it, it's apparent right away. It's not the kind of program you can do for months and then discover that your child really doesn't get it, or none of it "stuck."
Good to know! How could we do MUS Alpha and Abeka 1st and still have trouble with place value?:banghead: I just ordered an Abacus for the Place Value supplement. I love that you can buy little sections of MM. :)