Menu

Megawords after SWR

Homeschooling6

My 10yr. old dd is a pretty good speller and an excellent reader. She took of reading at age five and has been reading above grade level ever since. Because she read well I stopped her phonics instruction. She did the first year of R&S Phonics but not the second.

In Dec. 09 I started her with Spell to Write and Read. More for her to finish her phonics than spelling. It was a good way to sneak in the unfinished phonics as well as help with spelling.

I am wondering if she does SWR for maybe a year then switch her to Megawords level 1. I need someone to be more independent with their spelling as I have two using PR level 1, Josh using SWR, Annette using SWR and two little ones who will start PR next school year.

I want my dd to be able to decode words and am afraid that she might hit a wall one day because we didn't finish her phonics instruction. This is why I chose SWR. Maybe what I'm asking is will one year of SWR help her? Would Megawords be too different from SWR? Any other suggestions?

I would cotinue drilling the phonograms and rules.

My 10yr. old dd is a pretty good speller and an excellent reader. She took of reading at age five and has been reading above grade level ever since. Because she read well I stopped her phonics instruction. She did the first year of R&S Phonics but not the second.

In Dec. 09 I started her with Spell to Write and Read. More for her to finish her phonics than spelling. It was a good way to sneak in the unfinished phonics as well as help with spelling.

I am wondering if she does SWR for maybe a year then switch her to Megawords level 1. I need someone to be more independent with their spelling as I have two using PR level 1, Josh using SWR, Annette using SWR and two little ones who will start PR next school year.

I want my dd to be able to decode words and am afraid that she might hit a wall one day because we didn't finish her phonics instruction. This is why I chose SWR. Maybe what I'm asking is will one year of SWR help her? Would Megawords be too different from SWR? Any other suggestions?

My question is, where does she place after testing? I just had my two oldest test out of SWR, I am thrilled. With that said, they are well beyond Megwords because of this. We plan on going right in to a Latin/Greek root word study and increase vocabulary. I guess you could see where she tests, look up her "range" to what grade she tested into and then get the corresponding Megawords book.:001_smile: You could keep drilling the rules, but I find that to be out of context. I mean if you are spelling a bunch of IE/EI words then drill the rule and instruct, but it seems random to just remember the rules without application.

She is a good speller and catches on quickly but I don't think she will place out of Megawords book 8. We started late with SWR so she'll only have one year worth of SWR when I would like to be done with her using SWR.

Currently I'm doing three different levels and if I continue with her it will be four different levels. I don't think I can handle it:ack2:

Since she is the best reader & speller I would like to have her do something more independently but still requires her to take the words apart.

I thought by reviewing the SWR phonograms and rules it would help too. By reviewing I mean just saying the sounds quickly. Maybe she can sit in with one of her brothers during that time.

Linda,

I am not sure which would be the best approach, and I know what that squeeze feels like. I only do spelling with Honey Dew twice a week because I only have time to do it that often. I am pushing my oldest through AAS so that I have more time for the younger kids.

My plan is to move to Megawords, which she might not even need. I like that it works on vocab and multi-syllable words, so even if she doesn't need the spelling it isn't for nothing. The last time I tested her she was at a 7th grade level.

The one difference between the two is Megawords teaches syllable rules and SWR doesn't. Other than that I know that Megawords is a rule based program. I just want something that keeps the skills fresh, so she doesn't just forget it all, KWIM?

Heather

Linda,

I am not sure which would be the best approach, and I know what that squeeze feels like. I only do spelling with Honey Dew twice a week because I only have time to do it that often. I am pushing my oldest through AAS so that I have more time for the younger kids.

My plan is to move to Megawords, which she might not even need. I like that it works on vocab and multi-syllable words, so even if she doesn't need the spelling it isn't for nothing. The last time I tested her she was at a 7th grade level.

The one difference between the two is Megawords teaches syllable rules and SWR doesn't. Other than that I know that Megawords is a rule based program. I just want something that keeps the skills fresh, so she doesn't just forget it all, KWIM?

Heather

It would be nice if I could combine Annette with her older brother Josh, but they are at very different levels. Josh, still has trouble with what sounds 'o' has or any single vowel.

I'm hoping if I can give Annette at least one year of SWR it will help :001_unsure: her if she comes to a word she can't figure out how to read or spell in the future.

FYI: Megawords has a 2nd Edition out.

Edited by Homeschooling6

As long as you start before list I think it is T you end up covering all the components (all the phonograms, all the rules). Have you looked at the Audio Companion cd's to get your kids a bit more independent? Then you could teach just one dc each day while the rest all do their practice with the cd's. Or get a computer game you can load the words on. And what you might do is have your older ds dictate either the words or the Wise Guide sentences for those words to your dd. Sounds weird, since he's the weaker student, but teachers always learn more than the students. If he answers her questions and guides her, he'll be learning. :)

There is an independent study workbook to follow up SWR that continues the approach. I think it's My Spelling Notebook (or a similar title) by Cynthia McCurdy. I never bought it and haven't seen it, but at least it would let you rest easy that you're continuing the approach.

In a similar vein, have you thought about having your dd teach or quiz some of those youngers?? Again, it's a way for her to learn without it being overt or taking time from you. She could play phonogram games with them and thereby learn her phonograms and rules too. :)

Also, you need to think of ways to get all the kids doing their SWR stuff TOGETHER as much as possible. I put SWR enrichment activities on strips in a jar. You could do that and have all the kids do the same activity, just with their words at their level. Or they all play the same game (Mother May I, going forward as you spell correctly), but the kids all spell their own words. Or get the olders to drill the youngers. You've got the same system for everyone, which is the start, but you need to think about how to milk it. And when life gets really hairy, you go just to sentence dictation for the week. Take those sentences from the Wise Guide and dictate them! We LOVE this activity. In fact, it's so good, so challenging, you could do everybody together! Go all the way back to A1 and try it, see what happens. :)

Edited by OhElizabeth

I think reviewing phonograms, but the rules really need application JMHO.

Have you thought of using something similar to SWR like, Apples, It's a 5 minute page a day. It gives you the spelling rule on day one then does the application for the next 4 days. My dd did book 1 alongside SWR and will start book 2 with the root word study while my ds will start book 1. My little one is still in SWR and she is my worst speller so I may be looking at another 4 years of SWR, that means we would have done 12 years of SWR:ack2:

:lurk5:

Are folks saying SWR and Megawords are compatable? ds is wanting more spelling independence. ( I'm SOOOOOO good with that)

He's in list S-5 and doing fine, but we both are tired of the format.

So, piggy backing here and thankful for the question.

~christine

I'm going to piggy back on my own thread:o regarding Megawords 1st Edition and the 2nd Edition what do you all think. Prefer the first or second?

There is an independent study workbook to follow up SWR that continues the approach. I think it's My Spelling Notebook (or a similar title) by Cynthia McCurdy. I never bought it and haven't seen it, but at least it would let you rest easy that you're continuing the approach.

Also, you need to think of ways to get all the kids doing their SWR stuff TOGETHER as much as possible. I put SWR enrichment activities on strips in a jar. You could do that and have all the kids do the same activity, just with their words at their level. Or they all play the same game (Mother May I, going forward as you spell correctly), but the kids all spell their own words. Or get the olders to drill the youngers. You've got the same system for everyone, which is the start, but you need to think about how to milk it. And when life gets really hairy, you go just to sentence dictation for the week. Take those sentences from the Wise Guide and dictate them! We LOVE this activity. In fact, it's so good, so challenging, you could do everybody together! Go all the way back to A1 and try it, see what happens. :)

I'll have to look into the spelling notebook. Will I find it at a SWR site?

Thanks!

I think reviewing phonograms, but the rules really need application JMHO.

Have you thought of using something similar to SWR like, Apples, It's a 5 minute page a day. It gives you the spelling rule on day one then does the application for the next 4 days. My dd did book 1 alongside SWR and will start book 2 with the root word study while my ds will start book 1. My little one is still in SWR and she is my worst speller so I may be looking at another 4 years of SWR, that means we would have done 12 years of SWR:ack2:

I actually have Apples sitting on my shelf:001_huh: I forgot about that. I'll take a look at it. Maybe use it this year. I would still like something that takes the words apart.

Thanks!

My daughter is in 5th this year. She is doing Spelling Power Level E (5th grade level). So it's best to just start from the first one and move through them? Can you tell me if it will help with these areas that she struggles with...

1. Occasionally mispronounced large 4 and 5 syllable words (she reads at Junior High level).

2. When she mispronounces the word, she misspells it (duh).

3. She has a huge verbal vocabulary but I'd like to see her applying more of it to her writing.

• 2 weeks later...