Menu

Weird request: Does anyone here (who's actually in WA state, close enough for me to

actually drive to) have a big box (anyone get a new fridge or stove lately??), a large cage, or something else that we could use as a brooder for 8 to 10 chicks? As much as I would love to have one of those big oval metal tubs, I cannot afford one of those and the chicks to boot! If anyone has anything, or any other ideas where I could get a humungous box, please let me know- we are hoping to get some Americaunas on Wed.

TIA,

LB

Otherwise, you could tape some sturdy boxes together. I have combined several boxes with packing tape, or duct tape before. If you are raising chicks you may not want to use produce boxes though. The chemicals may be too harsh for the babies.

The first few times we had chicks we used a rabbit cage (it had a plastic bottom not wire) and kept them in our kitchen with the heat lamp above them (I taped posterboard around the cage to keep them from flinging the wood shavings everywhere. For a week or so even a large laudry basket or a rubbermaid container would work depending on how many you are getting.

The last batch we had too many for our little rabbit cage so we knocked together a four-foot x four-foot plywood box (only four sides) - put a bale of wood shavings in it our in our garage. When they got bigger we stretched some old chicken wire over the top because the little buggers were escaping. When we moved them to the barn we just pulled the box into pieces again ready for the next time.

HTH

Janet

We used a plastic swimming pool once they got bigger - my dh hooked up some plastic construction fencing around it.

Sorry I can't be of more help!

How high were the sides? Will those little ones that are about 8 to 10 inches tall be good enough at first? That is a great idea!

Otherwise, you could tape some sturdy boxes together. I have combined several boxes with packing tape, or duct tape before. If you are raising chicks you may not want to use produce boxes though. The chemicals may be too harsh for the babies.

Great idea to call an appliance store. Thanks!

The first few times we had chicks we used a rabbit cage (it had a plastic bottom not wire) and kept them in our kitchen with the heat lamp above them (I taped posterboard around the cage to keep them from flinging the wood shavings everywhere. For a week or so even a large laudry basket or a rubbermaid container would work depending on how many you are getting.

The last batch we had too many for our little rabbit cage so we knocked together a four-foot x four-foot plywood box (only four sides) - put a bale of wood shavings in it our in our garage. When they got bigger we stretched some old chicken wire over the top because the little buggers were escaping. When we moved them to the barn we just pulled the box into pieces again ready for the next time.

HTH

Janet

Yes, I would love to borrow a rabbit cage, but don't want to invest in one (lest the kids take this as a hint that I want a guinea pig or rabbit, you know- "But Ma, we already have a cage...."), so we may have to just build one as you suggest.

Thanks for the ideas!

actually drive to) have a big box (anyone get a new fridge or stove lately??), a large cage, or something else that we could use as a brooder for 8 to 10 chicks? As much as I would love to have one of those big oval metal tubs, I cannot afford one of those and the chicks to boot! If anyone has anything, or any other ideas where I could get a humungous box, please let me know- we are hoping to get some Americaunas on Wed.

TIA,

LB

A friend does with with a circle of fine chicken wire that she screws into little holes in the concrete barn floor, covers with straw and hangs a heat lamp down in the center. She raises and lowers the lamp for that fickle Kansas weather. Does fine.

How high were the sides? Will those little ones that are about 8 to 10 inches tall be good enough at first? That is a great idea!

The problem with a pool at first, the space is too large for the little ones. (I think - we borrowed a little cage someone made.) They quickly grew out of the small brooder cage, and the swimming pool was an improvised deal. Our did have 8-10 in. sides, which worked for a time - but then they started hopping up on the sides. It was quite comical!

I like the bunny cage idea. . . surely you could find one of those?

We got our chicks about a year ago - such fun! We get 7 eggs/day out of the beauties! Good luck!

Last year, we started ours out with a dog crate. A very very large dog crate. It might be easier to borrow than a rabbit crate if you are in a pinch. My kids are already begging me to increase our flock. How many chickens does a family of 7 need???

That's a good idea too! Now if I can just find someone who has one!

How many chickens do you have now? How old are they? Are they laying yet? We are a family of four, with 4 hens, one of then on the old side. My dd also sells her eggs to add to her music fund. So we like to at least have 2 dozen a week. We are planning on getting 8 to 10 new chicks, so that next year, we will end up with a total of 10 chickens. I would guess you would want a minimum of 10 chickens. Just a guess- I am so not the chicken expert in our house. My dd is the one who wanted them, researched breeds, care, feeding, etc. I just buy the feed, and holler real loud when they make a beeline for the front yard and the street.