Menu

Does it matter which version of the Iliad and Odyssey we get?

We've read abbreviated versions, I was thinking about getting the real thing. Both dds are into Greek mythology. Is this over the top, considering their ages (9 and 10)?

Well, the Iliad is *really* gory, and rather depressing. And, the Odyssey is filled with the phrases, "And so I mounted her bed." and "locked in love all night long." There is a lot of adultery. (Actually, it is talked about quite openly in The Iliad as well, tho' it seems to be much more frequent in the Odyssey.)

If that doesn't phase you, my 9th grader and I are enjoying Fagle's versions this year. (Tho' my 9th grader squirms at certain parts - see above.) You can find audio versions, as well, which are very well done.

I wonder if you would like something like Bullfinch's better?

I started Greece with my two boys, 11 and 7, last week. My oldest is reading Mary Pope Osborne's Tales From The Odyssey ( six volumes from my library). I'm currently reading aloud The Iliad retold by Ian Strachan, this book seems to have the complete story but cleaned up for younger kids and has some nice illustrations. I plan to start reading the Osborne books to my youngest, he should be able to read it himself but I think that he will comprehend more if I read aloud.

I'm not sure what ages your children are but if older kids I would want to have some type of study guide and often the guide will specify which version to use. I have copies of the Lattimore translation but after seeing the Fagles translation in the bookstore, I think I like Fagles better.

ETA: I see that your kids are young. I would try the Rosemary Sutcliffe books. Try to get the ones that are illustrated.

Edited by Dana in OR

For the ages of your dc I personally would recommend these two: Black Ships Before Troy (which is the story of the Iliad) and The Wanderings of Odysseus (the Odyssey) both by Rosemary Sutcliff. I would also highly recommend these linked hardcover versions of them illustrated by Alan Lee...they are beautiful. Definitely keepers!!

Wow, I have the paperback version of these, I had no idea there was an illustrated version. Those are great looking.

so we'll go for the Sutcliff version.

In general I'm not too phased about non-explicit sex, but we've just started reading through the Bible, and I have to admit that I have to swollow at times, when dd10 asks stuff like,"how can people have sex with animals?",.... so I think that's enough real life for some time.