Menu

Alumni Interview Help, please?

OLG

Ds has an interview with a Brown alumni Tuesday morning which is freaking him out since he has decided that if he is admitted, he would like to defer enrollment a year (He turns 16 in March) to take advantage of an opportunity to study drawing with two well known artists (this is a hobby not his focus for college).

Question: should he bring up the gap year plan or not?? What do you think?

Thanks for any advice!

Mary

I think he'd be smart to focus his interview on Brown: how he fits what they offer and what he'd offer them. But I'd also advise him to talk about his gap year plans if the question of his young age comes up in the interview. The fact that he's thought it out and has such an intriguing plan would only be a point in his favor. Good luck to him!

~Kathy

I'm a little doubtful about the wisdom of telling all that a student is thinking until they are completely sure of their direction, although I have no problem telling an interviewer that there are a number of possibilities (colleges) and he is pursuing every one of them to the best of his ability, until he knows more about each one.

My advice is to pursue each opportunity with a full court press as though it were the only one, just as someone would while job hunting.

Edited by Valerie(TX)

Thanks for your thoughts, Valerie. Ds being a typical teenager (still) I have discovered that whatever happens, happens! He's in the darn interview right now and was given lots of advice and offers to practice but feels he's supposed to be "himself" so no need for any adult wisdom! THIS is why he needs a gap year....maturity!

Can you tell he is driving me nuts?:D

Mary

Thanks for your thoughts, Valerie. Ds being a typical teenager (still) I have discovered that whatever happens, happens! He's in the darn interview right now and was given lots of advice and offers to practice but feels he's supposed to be "himself" so no need for any adult wisdom! THIS is why he needs a gap year....maturity!

Can you tell he is driving me nuts?:D

Mary

Oh, Mary, they are such a combination of maturity and NOT, it does drive one bonkers!! Dd was just not in the mood to spend any time prepping for her high stakes interview this last weekend. Granted, she had had many deadlines in the previous 3 days, but--holy cow--she's never had a competitive interview before; this wasn't just a walk in the park. Her dad and I had to be rather more forceful than we'd have liked about at least thinking through the questions being a requirement.

When pressed, she said it was helpful, but no word yet of thanks for all our effort. Hello! Where would she have been, umm-ing and uhh-ing, without having thought the questions through beforehand?!?! She said most of the questions were similar in nature to the ones she prepped for, so we *were* on track!

Best wishes to you both: may you survive; may he learn!! :lol:

Well, according to ds the interview was a roaring success and the alumni said she would highly recommend him....guess I am going to have an even more difficult time trying to get him to listen to me now! Still pressing for a thank you note to her but his reply "I thanked her already"! Teens and boys....hard to tell if it's the male part or the teen part, ya know?!:D

Thanks to everyone who made me feel better prepared, at least!

Mary

P.S. The age thing never came up and the gap year was just briefly mentioned at the end. He said there wasn't anything about home schooling either and that last one was a surprise.

I do interviews for my alma mater.

Tell your son that the few times that I get a thank you, even if it is just an email note, it pays off in making a far better impression for my write up. Remind him that the alumnus probably invested an hour or more in the interview, plus preparing for it, plus an hour or so writing it up. I have to arrange for my kids to be somewhere. It takes time directly from my time with my family. Isn't that worthy of a short thank you, especially if that sweetens the interviewer's impression of him?

And if his maturity is an issue, then he can come off as being mature enough to do something that in my experience, many 18 year olds don't bother with.

Yes!! As a Mom and as an interviewer for jobs in a previous life, I too, appreciate and respect thank you's!! As a result, I pulled out the Mom card and made him send an email thank you to the interviewer....and he didn't drop dead after doing so:D.

Stepping on a soapbox for a moment, I think one of the lost arts is thanking folks, period. It takes so little to do and benefits all parties!

So, thanks to all of you ladies for your help with this post!

Mary

I do interviews for my alma mater.

Tell your son that the few times that I get a thank you, even if it is just an email note, it pays off in making a far better impression for my write up. Remind him that the alumnus probably invested an hour or more in the interview, plus preparing for it, plus an hour or so writing it up. I have to arrange for my kids to be somewhere. It takes time directly from my time with my family. Isn't that worthy of a short thank you, especially if that sweetens the interviewer's impression of him?

And if his maturity is an issue, then he can come off as being mature enough to do something that in my experience, many 18 year olds don't bother with.

Edited by OLG
spelling

Stepping on a soapbox for a moment, I think one of the lost arts is thanking folks, period. It takes so little to do and benefits all parties!

Sadly I probably only get a thank you of any kind from one in ten candidates that I help. (Email or note after the fact. Most of them say something polite as we are parting from the interview.)

It is probably the easiest way to set yourself apart. Won't make up for low test scores or a truly bad interview. But it may tip the scales to slightly more positive adjectives on the write up.