Menu

Has anyone done medical transcription?

I was just wondering if anyone here is currently a medical transcriptionist or has been in past? Can I ask you some questions??:) I'm interested in getting into it but have heard varied opinions. Let me know and I'll PM you with all my questions!!

Other suggestions are welcome. I really want a reliable, long-term job (I can get proper training) which allows me to be a single, homeschooling mom of 3. Homeschooling is so important to me, I love doing it, and I don't want to give it up without trying my best to make it work.

I do this type of transcription and love it -- it combines transcription with helping people in real time. I don't work from home (I'm employed by our local university), but it IS something that can be done from home (if you can get remote assignments, which are our there). The training costs a lot less, is much shorter, and the pay is decent ($20 - $50/hour).

• 2 years later...

I've been a single parent homeschooler since 2000. You can do it!

Currently, I work p.t. as an administrative assistant 3 days/wk outside the home. I am also studying medical transcription through the online course at Career Step. I'm really enjoying it.

If anyone has positive tips and experience to share, please do it here! Those of us in training appreciate the encouragement!

Until last year, I was a medical transcriptionist for 10 years. Where I live, all of the mt jobs are drying up as facilities are moving towards voice recognition softwares which are quickly making the human transcriptionists obsolete. Online jobs are also difficult to come by without specific experience. After my experience and those that were laid off from the hospital where I work, I would question the long term viability of any mt job. I would definitely look into what jobs are available in your area and/or online before investing much in a training program.

I don't know any hospitals which are actively seeking medical transcript people. Private physician opportunities are drying up also. There is a federal mandate requiring EMRs (electronic medical records). These programs lend themselves to voice recognition software or physician and nurse entry as they go. Even coders aren't needed because the software does it all now.

How about trying phlebotomy?

:)

Until last year, I was a medical transcriptionist for 10 years. Where I live, all of the mt jobs are drying up as facilities are moving towards voice recognition softwares which are quickly making the human transcriptionists obsolete. Online jobs are also difficult to come by without specific experience. After my experience and those that were laid off from the hospital where I work, I would question the long term viability of any mt job. I would definitely look into what jobs are available in your area and/or online before investing much in a training program.

This has been my experience, as well.

Also, this was an older thread, resurrected by a spammy post from someone with only 1 post.