Menu

Planning for next year-how much choice do you allow your highschoolers?

My 15 yo Dd started this year with a poor attitude towards school but has really pulled herself together and is doing very well. She does all her work and gives it her best try with few complaints, except for history.

She does not like our history choice and asks repeatedly if we can switch. She says it's too much reading and she wants something that doesn't take a lot of time. I have a love hate relationship with what we are using but I do feel it’s the best choice for us at this time. It covers everything I want and holds my hand along the way. Next year she would go up to Rhetoric level so the amount of reading would go up as well.

She reads well and has no trouble with comprehension or ability. Her other subjects do not take too much time and most days she finishes her school in the early afternoon.

So I am torn. She will be 16 and I do feel she should have some choice in what she studies but just how much choice? Do I make her stay the course or let her choose?

Thanks

Edited by Quiver0f10

I'd let her "help" choose. I think if the student enjoys the subject and materials choosen then they do better with that subject.

Last year, I narrowed the choice for Algebra 2 down to about 3 possibilites and let my dd choose. She chose MUS and it has been a good choice because she has ownership in it plus she knows what she likes.

Also, I gave my now 9th grade son the choice of which history to take this year and which elective to take this year.

I'd let her choose, too. From what you said she sounds reasonable, hard-working, and also knows what she wants/needs. Why not have her research a few alternative programs and present you with a list of pros/cons for each, along with an argument for her favorite?

If something doesn't work for her, you can use the best program in the whole world and it will all be so much water going down the drain: it won't stick, she'll end up trying to just get through/over it, and things that might interest her will be passed by.

It depend on the reason for it. Too much reading, no, especially since you don't feel she's overburdened. The specific books or text book vs real books, thoseare things they get a say in. I might look at other curriclum with her and tell her we could say swap out less reading for more writing, or find things that are more interesting to her ( as long as they were about th same level)

Jean,

Can you let her choose *within* the history that you're using?

Also, I may be wrong, but didn't the original TOG have page numbers for all the high-school level textbooks (Abeka, BJU, and such)? Maybe if you could track down one of those, and let her cover the same info as everyone else, but with *those* books, it wouldn't feel so overwhelming to her?

Sorry so abrupt - sick kid - gotta go!

For high school, I will definitely let them have input. My rising 9th grader is a history nut - so we're heavy on the history, but we might be lighter elsewhere.

The next child is a technology geek, and less interested in history. I will plan a rigorous history course; but if he balks I am willing to allow him to do a less rigorous course, in able to focus more on science/technology. As long as they are working hard, and being challenged, across the board, I'm willing to have some leeway in which subjects get more rigor.

My teen was given choice within boundaries. So for example, in 8th grade a foreign language was required. She elected to take Latin.

In 10th grade, I said an AP course was required. She chose AP US History. In 11th grade when I said another AP course was required, she chose AP Comparative Government and Politics from several choices.

For a required science in 11th grade, she chose Geology.

Math was a requirement in 12th grade. She was given the choice of Statistics (AP through PA Homeschoolers or Life of Fred at home) or Calculus (community college or Life of Fred at home); she chose AP Statistics through PA Homeschoolers.

If history is a requirement of yours for your daughter, I would allow her choice within that framework. It might be the time period studied or it might be the materials used.

Best wishes as you figure this out.

Regards,

Kareni