Menu

2 levels of R&S English

masterpiece

I am doing those 2 levels right now and it is doable. The teacher books are laid out to be pick up and go. Somedays I have both boys at the table at once and we will do the warm up reviews and lesson introductions together (I alternate asking each their question) and then they each go off to read their respective lessons. Many times while they are reading I will skim the lesson and see what we need to do together (teacher and child), if there is a worksheet, and what they should write out. Usually when the first is done reading we do the class / oral review of the lesson together and we will also do parts of the written review together that I feel they might be struggling with. I also always give them the worksheet to do if there is one. The only writing I have them do is where spelling, sentence structure or diagramming really needs to be done by them. I also have them write out their lesson if they drag their feet too much and Mom has run out of time (and patience).

Hope this makes sense. I am rushing this morning.

I don't think you would be able to teach the two lessons for the day at the same time. I don't find it to be too teacher intensive; I just don't think it would line up for the lessons right. The 4th grade book is very simple while the 6th grade book is pretty intense. Neither takes that much time teacher-wise.

I am teaching three levels of R&S right now, and I think it is very doable. I couldn't possibly teach all three at the same time, but we spread the lessons out throughout the day, and I work with each of them individually. I go over the oral review, I teach the lesson, and then we do the oral exercises together. Altogether, it still doesn't take too much time.

AllSmiles

I was wondering, by "at the same time" do you mean giving instruction at the same time to both levels like, "Today we are studying adjectives. Here is what they are. Now, Jane, you do lesson 18. Robbie, you do lesson 27." Or do you mean that at 9 a.m. Jane has an English lesson, and at 9:20 Robbie has his lesson? The first is not very feasible; the second is totally good. I've done 4 different lessons at different times in the day on a regular basis.

Oh, sure, we did 2 levels for years. I don't find R&S teacher intensive at all. 10-15 min a day (5 days) per kid with mom, and about the same on independent work, and we were good to go for sure. (Actually only did it 3 days a week and spent a little longer on it when we did. . .)

Agreed. I have two in different R&S places right now and it works great. :)

We are doing 2, 5 and 8 right now and it's fine. We stagger the times that they need me to go over material. My ds7 and I do most of his work aloud. Dd13 & 10 read on their own and then do exercises with me. If they get impatient they are always welcome to write out the exercises and I check them at my leisure. Usually they manage to locate their patience before taking such drastic measures.

Thanks for your answers. Very helpful as usual :001_smile:

Usually they manage to locate their patience before taking such drastic measures.
:lol:

However you could combine both of those into the same level.
Do you mean I could have both of them doing 5th grade level, for example?

I was wondering, by "at the same time" do you mean giving instruction at the same time to both levels like, "Today we are studying adjectives. Here is what they are. Now, Jane, you do lesson 18. Robbie, you do lesson 27." Or do you mean that at 9 a.m. Jane has an English lesson, and at 9:20 Robbie has his lesson? The first is not very feasible; the second is totally good. I've done 4 different lessons at different times in the day on a regular basis.
What I meant was something like what Blossom's Girl explained, each doing individual work but sharing Mom time. But in practice I guess it's similar to what you (and others) are suggesting in your second option, namely staggering the lessons. I wasn't sure if I needed to spend an entire half hour or 45 minutes or whatever individually with each child.

Hope this makes sense. I am rushing this morning.
Yup, it makes sense. Thanks for taking the time!

I am teaching 3 levels right not and it's completly doable. :) Eng. 2,3, and 4.

I actually enjoy that they listen to each other's lessons because they have discovered they can understand and actually answer each other's questions. This is a spiral type of learning. Each level/grade covers similar subjects but to greater detail.

Grammar is probably our most successful subject this year.

Do you mean I could have both of them doing 5th grade level, for example?

If you're just starting with R&S and your 6th grader has not done the 5th grade book, I would start both of them at level 5. A bright 4th grader would probably be fine, and if not, you could always step back a bit.