Menu

What are your goals for your 4th grader?

daisychics

Math

Finish Saxon 6/5 with automaticity in math facts, passing all aspects of the curriculum (fractions, geometry, etc)

Spelling

Finish SWO E

Memorize syllabication rules

Grammar

Finish R&S 3 (notice a pattern here? lol)

Memory

3 poems

Nativity and Easter verses from the Bible (NIV)

Periodic Table

13 Colonies

Countries of Africa

Books of the Bible New Testament and maybe Old

various songs

Piano

Get as far as one lesson a week and everyday practice will take her

Other goals include finishing SOTW, McHenry's Elements, Positive Action for Christ Bible 4, Prima Latina, and the first 1/4 of Latina Christiana (the latter two cover table prayers and other Latin sayings, sort of memory goals but more defined).

I also want her to learn to watch her sarcastic remarks, i.e., guard her tongue. We just talked about that today. I want her to be able to answer the questions, "Why are you a Christian?" and "How does one become a Christian?"

History/Geography:

• Memorize 160 Veritas Press Timeline Cards
  • Locate on a map the key places we studied throughout the year
  • Put important events in timeline notebook
  • Understand the importance of the the key events from the Middle Ages that we study
  • Describe the basic life-tyles of people during the Middle Ages and Reniassance such as dress, technology, vocations, religious practices, education, housing, and entertainment

Latin:

• Master the vocabulary in LFCA
  • Comfortably decline 1st & 2nd declension nouns/adjectives
  • Comfortably conjugate 1st & 2nd conjugation verbs
  • Be able to parse & translate sentences

Literature:

• Read lots of great books in various genres
  • Continued improvement in reading fluency
  • Continued improvement in comprehension & narration

Writing:

• Become comfortable with the process of outlining
  • Continue improvement in composition skills
  • Become more fluent with cursive penmanship

Math:

• Complete the Horizons 4 book

Classical Conversations:

• Become a Memory Master!

He's so negative about so much and so many, I am working with him on trying things out before he decides that they're "stupid," and cutting people slack if they don't do what he expects.

Academically, here's what I hope he'll have finished:

Singapore 3A & B

Latin for Children A

MCT Island Level

Trail Guide to World (minus the Around the World study)

Ecoutez! Parlez! 3

ETC 8

McHenry's "The Elements"

Explorer's Bible Study--"God's Promises"

IEW's poetry memorization--complete level 1, first half of level 2

Goals for 4th grade:

Improved keyboarding/typing ability

Improved attention to detail when reading instructions or directions

Improved attention to pace and punctuation when reading aloud

Increased responsibility WRT time management (daily and weekly scheduling)

Increased responsibility WRT mgmt of extracurriculars (sports, scouts)

Introduction to music lessons (at his request; will be self-funded and -selected)

Introduction to modern language (at his request; will be casual rather than formal "school")

We have a new baby with us this year, and I'm sorely sleep deprived, so I'm looking for places to cut back a bit...

Language Arts

Here is where I'll cut back. Dd needs a little work in learning how to capitalize. Also, could use some work on her handwriting and how she spaces her words in her writing. I will slack a bit on reading & grammar.

Math

learn mult/div facts

typical 4th gr math scope/seq, whatever that is!

Sci/His

Here is where we need to do more - more experiments, more memorizing events in history. I've been really lax on this. More typical sci scope/seq & need to hit American History (haven't studied this yet)

Other

Dh wanted to choose some subjects - he wants us to work through this college level book about Communication, he has assigned dd to read Shakespeare ("real" shakespeare, not the kid stuff, so this is kind of hard). And we also will continue our reading/copywork from Familiar Quotations (this is another dh assignment that we are continuing from last year).

We start mid-year (starting 4th now), but so far, I'm waaay to lax and I'm having trouble finding my groove. Sleep seems more important than school, housework, and paying bills. Ugh.

starting grade 4 next week here. Tentative goals are:

Do about half of Saxon 5/4 (much of it seems like a repeat of 3) and begin Saxon 6/5

Do latin for children B, while retaining the vocab from A

get through SOTW 4, but I'm not placing a huge priority on this. I may well focus more on the major events in history, and skim over the more obscure parts of the world. will try to do a LOT more fun projects.

Have a lot of fun with NOEO Physics. last year I placed too much emphasis on the writing and facts, and I forgot that elementary science should be enjoyable

Do FLL 4 and Writing strands 4. She's got a very good head for English, so this shouldn't be a problem.

actually DO spelling wisdom

READ. My library is a half hour drive away and we never seem to get over there to supplement history. also we need to start making those notebook pages that we haven't done since first grade.

Require neat handwriting, and really encourage the use of cursive

STICK TO A SCHEDULE. We're going from a 4 day week to a 5 day week, so we'll have more time. Falling behind is a REAL pain.

require her to learn to touch-type, so she doesn't end up three-finger-typing like I do...

Our goals:

Conquer fraction work in Singapore 4a/b

Enjoy reading chapter books

Gain confidence in writing skills so that she is writing paragraphs

Gain confidence in spelling enough to spell on her own

That's it. That is our main goals for this year. As for what we are using to achieve these goals:

Rod and Staff Math 4 for review work and scanning through earlier SM workbooks to finish word problem work. The wall in fractions was caused by a weakness in muliplication/division skills. So we are working on that.

I let her read whatever she wants to read. She is reading some chapter books and I have been encouraging her gently in this area by finding other books that she might like. My goal her is a love of reading.

The next two are linked. She does not feel confident in writing because she is afraid that she will spell something wrong. So we have worked hard this year with SWR in working through the lists and building up confidence in this area. I also have her doing copywork every day and all the writing in her lapbooks. This is probably our biggest stretch goal for the year but I think it is achievable.

:001_smile:

hmm. In a broad, not-specific-to-curricula sense, I would say:

To improve her handwriting and spelling skills to grade level or near it.

To continue to be challenged in those areas which she excels (which primarily means math)

To both learn about history and science, and to enjoy the process of learning about each

To gain a good foundation for further Latin study

To continue to develop as a writer, with all necessary foundational skills

To memorize several poems as well as important speeches related to history

To begin preparation for more formal study of logic