Menu

more math...Singapore and MM

ProudGrandma

I was nearly sold on Singapore, but now I am also considering MM....my main question is does MM come with a workbook like Singapore? Also...I was comparing the placement tests with both programs...in Singapore, my 2nd and 3rd grade child would probably place in the 3rd grade book and in Singapore they would probably place in a 2A and 2B. What should I think of that? anything? DOes it really and truly matter????

in Singapore, my 2nd and 3rd grade child would probably place in the 3rd grade book and in Singapore they would probably place in a 2A and 2B. What should I think of that? anything? DOes it really and truly matter????

Was it 2A and 2B of MM or Singapore? I think they both have A and B books per level so I couldn't tell which curriculum you were talking about.:)

Math Mammoth is a worktext so you only have your grade level worktext A and B. The directions are on the pages so no seperate TM or Guide is needed making it easy to use. Also, the texts can be downloaded and printed or purchased and shipped to you as a hardcopy so you have choices. I get the downloads as they are fast and cheap. (I purchased a laser printer last year with my tax money so although not in color it cost pennies to print)

If you decide to purchase MM you can get it even cheaper for the downloads if you go to the homeschool buyers coop online and purchase through them at a 20% savings!

I have also been going nuts trying to decide on curriculum for our next level and have been flooding the forum with questions. Here is my post comparing MM to Singapore.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152741

I also have a poll going on for fav low cost curriculum. I kinda messed it up as I should have put Rod and staff in there instead of Saxon but........

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153045

Someone elses post

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149528

HTH,

Penny

Edited by mystika1

I am so sorry...Imust be dense this morning...so there is NOT a workbook that I can buy for MM? Is that right?? We don't have easy access to a copy machine and with 3 kids, I don't think it will be very cheap to print off copies each day, for each kid. SO if there is NOT a workbook to be purchased, then I will have to look elsewhere for a program...and I will proabably go with Singapore.

Hi Again,

It is a workbook but with the instructions printed on the pages themselves. Nothing else to buy. There is a place to purchase a hardcopy of the material. People have also had the downloads put to disk or sent online to kinkos(or any office supply store) for printing.

You can view samples here of workbook 2A to get an idea if this would work for your family.

http://www.mathmammoth.com/preview/Math_Mammoth_Grade2A_Samples.pdf

I wish it wouldn't be so hard choosing curriculum.:D

HTH,

Penny

Edited by mystika1

Hi Again,

It is a workbook but with the instructions printed on the pages themselves. Nothing else to buy. There is a place to purchase a hardcopy of the material. People have also had the downloads put to disk or sent online to kinkos(or any office supply store) for printing.

You can view samples here of workbook 2A to get an idea if this would work for your family.

http://www.mathmammoth.com/preview/Math_Mammoth_Grade2A_Samples.pdf

I wish it wouldn't be so hard choosing curriculum.:D

HTH,

Penny

ok..so then if I have more than one child, I would either need to buy a whole new book for them or make copies or something, yes???

ok..so then if I have more than one child, I would either need to buy a whole new book for them or make copies or something, yes???

yes, you would either have to buy a new book (which is what you'd have to do with Singapore) or you can send the pdf file to a copy place like kinko's or staples. I think for a black & white copy at staples it would cost around $8 something for level 2A. Plus, since you are homeschooling teacher you can use their teacher rewards card and get 10% back every quarter on copy/print purchases.

If I submit an order online with staples then I can pick it up the next afternoon. Sometimes they call and I can pick it up the same day. I bring them home and put them in a 3-ring binder. I will have 4 students using this program, so being able to print it out for less than $10 is awesome for us!

I am so sorry...Imust be dense this morning...so there is NOT a workbook that I can buy for MM? Is that right?? We don't have easy access to a copy machine and with 3 kids, I don't think it will be very cheap to print off copies each day, for each kid. SO if there is NOT a workbook to be purchased, then I will have to look elsewhere for a program...and I will proabably go with Singapore.

If you have Office Depot or Staples nearby, you can download it to them and they can print it for you. If you do B&W it won't cost very much; actually it may cost even less than if you did it yourself at home.

why is this such a difficult thing?? I have literally used 3 different Math curriculums since starting homeschooling a little over a year ago and I just haven't found one that we actually can make work for us. Is the problem me or the curriculums???

the closest Office Depot (we don't have any other office store) to us is 45 miles away...but I suppose that would be a possiblity...UGH...

Is the problem me or the curriculums???

Do you mind elaborating on your problem? I have my third math curriculum in the mail and have been wondering the same thing. We are using SM and MUS right now and CLE is on its way. I have no idea what to do for next year right now. I have looked at MM but I am scared to even mention "another math program" to dh.:D

Do you mind elaborating on your problem? I have my third math curriculum in the mail and have been wondering the same thing. We are using SM and MUS right now and CLE is on its way. I have no idea what to do for next year right now. I have looked at MM but I am scared to even mention "another math program" to dh.:D

Started with MUS. Really liked the program and how everything was explained, but I felt that I was wasting too much of it because there were 6 pages for each lesson and we were only doing 2-3. And the kids were too overwhelmed by the number of pages for each lesson.

Then I changed to Math on the Level. the concept of making the math fit your kid was appealing but the process was WAY too over whelming for me.

We are now doing Saxon Math. At first it was working well, but my kids need more of the same problem before learning the next one. I thought the variety would be great, but it wasn't. So, now I am searching again...so tell me...is it me or the curriculums or my kids or what?????

Were you using one lesson a day in MUS? You can spread it over a week and just do a page a day. (I'm guessing you weren't doing this, since your kids were overwhelmed by MUS, but not Saxon, which has more problems.) If they've got the concept, than move on, and yes, waste a few pages. We do day 1:A, if they get it all right, day 2: skip to D. If not, they work through the pages in order.

I'm switching from MUS for other reasons, but it sounds like it worked best for you, of the things you've tried so far. Otherwise, just understand you're not alone in this quest to find a workable math curriculum.

Were you using one lesson a day in MUS? You can spread it over a week and just do a page a day. (I'm guessing you weren't doing this, since your kids were overwhelmed by MUS, but not Saxon, which has more problems.) If they've got the concept, than move on, and yes, waste a few pages. We do day 1:A, if they get it all right, day 2: skip to D. If not, they work through the pages in order.

Oh, we were spreading it out...but I think the problem was mostly mine...too wasteful for me. Maybe I didn't explain that very well.

I'm switching from MUS for other reasons, but it sounds like it worked best for you, of the things you've tried so far. Otherwise, just understand you're not alone in this quest to find a workable math curriculum.

it does help to know I am not alone. thanks. What are you considering?

Math really does seem to be the most difficult subject to find a program I like. I like MUS but I just can't get over the scope and sequence being so different - I am considering doing a combo with CLE. If you liked MUS I wouldn't feel too bad about wasting pages. MM and CLE have looked tempting with their directions being given right in the student book. SM has been very teacher intensive for us. I might try it with other kids if they were more mathy because I really want to like it. I don't know if I am just not presenting it clearly enough or what. It seems like SM just doesn't work for some kids. I feel like I am rambling just to say if you have narrowed it down to SM or MM my vote would go for MM - even though I haven't tried it.

My only question is if my dd would respond better to MM (which looks way preferable to me; I'm a big fan of all in one) or to Singapore, which has more color. But I'm starting to lean towards MM when I finish RS B or C, along with Horizons for more spiraly review.

FYI, there is no color at all in any of the Singapore Workbooks, 1A-6B. The textbooks for 1A-2B are very colorful, but beginning with 3A there is only one additional color per text (e.g. black & red for 3A/B, black & blue for 4A/B, etc). So in terms of the pages the child actually works on, MM is more colorful than Singapore. (Unless you order the B&W hardcopy, of course).

If you have a PC (XP or Vista), MM provides free Soft-Pak software with the purchase of any package. It includes a worksheet generator, so you can create your own review pages, or the student can do the problems on the computer and you can print out the results. It includes 4 different math programs plus a spelling/reading program and a test creator. (I have a Mac so I haven't used these, but others here have tried them and found them useful.)

Jackie