Menu

Basic math facts...frustrated!!

hsbaby

Well, I finally made the switch to CLE math from Lifepacs for my first grader. I love their LA and the math looks just as good. In fact, when I told my son I got the CLE math he said "Well, they did a good job on their English so i'll bet it's good!". Haha...my 6 yr. old curriculum critic:)

Anyway, I am having a hard time teaching him his basic addition and subtraction facts. I learned to do touch math as a child (where you put dots on each number and then count the dots) and I think this has hindered my efficiency with all types of math. I don't have ANY facts memorized and have to visualize the dots for even the most basic problems! So, I don't want to teach this method to my son. My husband has his facts memorized and said that when given a basic addition/subtraction problem he just "knows" the answer...has it memorized. So, what IS the best way? He understands the concepts but if the problem is something like 12-8 he just looks lost. So, do you teach your child any special tricks (counting down, counting up) or do you go straight for memorization? And if you use memorization do you just use flash cards and speed drills and move on once one set is mastered (adding 1 to a number, etc)? Thanks so much for all your help!

Have you started the CLE Math? I'm sorry, just a bit confused. CLE math has the drill built in. So you drill the addition/subtraction cards - they are coded and on a schedule. Plus the daily timed drills (these don't start right away) + the general "we remember" exercises.

These facts addition/subtraction will continue through 2nd and even 3rd grades in their workbooks. There is a ton of practice with them.

If you are near the end of the 1st grade and nothing seems to be sticking, I would definitely look for other methods. Maybe flashmaster? However, if you are at the beginning or just starting, I'd give it this year to see how much progress he makes.

One thing that really helped my ds with the first few fact families is dice games. I think the visual of each number quantity helped. He loves any kind of "war" card game or otherwise. You could play war with 2 or even 3 dice each. Roll them, add them, up and see who has the most points.

Did you get the flash cards? If you didn't, you really should. They are such an important component of the program.

Have you started the CLE Math? I'm sorry, just a bit confused. CLE math has the drill built in. So you drill the addition/subtraction cards - they are coded and on a schedule. Plus the daily timed drills (these don't start right away) + the general "we remember" exercises.

These facts addition/subtraction will continue through 2nd and even 3rd grades in their workbooks. There is a ton of practice with them.

If you are near the end of the 1st grade and nothing seems to be sticking, I would definitely look for other methods. Maybe flashmaster? However, if you are at the beginning or just starting, I'd give it this year to see how much progress he makes.

:iagree:My ds knows his math facts to 12 just by doing Horizons math (K and half of 1) and I've read that CLE has a lot of math fact practice. I am buying him flashmaster thinking he'll probably need it for multiplication. Until then, he can practice his addition/subtraction facts on it. He's the kind of kid who thinks that's fun.

If you're wanting a new way to think about math, why don't you add a little bit of that conceptual teaching on? The other suggestion about dice is great! Also you could pursue something like RightStart or Singapore. I LOVE RightStart for those lower levels (you could go into B), but Singapore would be workbooks and easy to add onto CLE too. As you say, these first few years are when you create that foundation of how they think through addition, subtraction, place value, etc., and it's a good time to take your time, use manipulatives, and really flesh it out. It sets the tone for how they think of math the rest of their lives! But in a year or two, as you get into say the 3rd gr level, you're not going to feel that compulsion. They get a little older and are better at going directly to abstract. But until then, if you want to add it in, by all means do. It definitely makes a difference. You need to nail your facts eventually, but understanding how numbers work, how to manipulate those relationships, makes you a stronger math student than if you just memorize everything and do get why things work.

If you are using CLE math, I recommend getting their addition/subtraction flashcards. They are divided up & given letters. The child's lesson will tell them which flashcard letters to work on each day. For us, the flashcard work & speed drills have been the only way to master memorizing facts. I love that CLE tells us what cards to work on each day. Otherwise, I might have my child doing a lot more flashcard work daily & have her become frustrated with it. We are currently in 3rd & doing the multiplication/division facts, but it still has the child do add/sub flashcard work daily as well as one set of mult each day.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all your advice. Can't wait to check out all these resources. We haven't started CLE math yet...just got it yesterday! I was using Lifepacs for the last year. I never did like them but was too cheap to buy something new. BIG mistake....we finished the Lifepac first grade curriculum, but I put him half way through CLE's first grade math since his skills are really lacking. Guess we will be playing a lot more math games and adding in a lot more review!! I hate this feeling of failure...I am so glad he's only in first grade:)