Menu

What would my upcoming 5th graders get out of Classical Conversations next year, Xpos

We have a great CC community very close to us. My two 5th graders would have a great tutor, possible for both the morning and afternoon classes (sorry, can't remember their terms for those) with a friend of mine who is truly gifted at teaching. They are both on grade level or above in math, one is fine in reading, spelling, and writing, another needs to pick up her reading, spelling, and writing. They both need help with grammar as we haven't done enough of that. I usually do well in those types of settings and don't get offended at too many rules, etc. I am concerned that the grammar is not well laid out (or so I've read on here) and that maybe the Latin is difficult. These are my youngest children and due to my ADHD and driving older siblings to and fro, they don't get the amount of academic time they should, so I know CC would help with that. They both already have friends in the group. I guess my hesitancy is my weariness after so many years of homeschooling of figuring out yet again another system (but this would only affect me and I would not not do CC because of this) and the possible frustration for all of us over the grammar and Latin. I also don't like the idea of being locked in for the year, although if I had to I could drop it, but would lose my money. The main thing I think I need help with them is getting their language arts skills up to par, especially hers, and he would love the history memorization, as he is gifted at that and loves history.

I don't seem to be getting any answers on the curriculum board - I would appreciate any insight you'all have.

I don't think your kids would be learning latin, other than the memory work in Foundations (the morning program for K-6). And it is truly just memorization -- my dd7 can handle it just fine. The morning program is purely memorizing grammar for history, math, science, geography, math, latin, english, plus a fine arts project (art or music) and a science experiment.

As for Essentials, I do not have experience with it but was talking with someone yesterday (who is a director at another campus than mine) whose 2 boys are in it and are loving it. She said the IEW writing is fabulous for them. This part would help with language arts skills, and it also includes activities to cement math.

It is not a complicated program to figure out. Basically, your kids go each week and practice the memory work (and learn the new week's work), then go home and practice memorizing it if you want (or not). As a parent, you just sit in on the class and help the tutor as needed. From what people who have been in coops have told me, its much simpler.

If they would have a good tutor, and the campus seems good, I don't think you can go wrong. It all hinges on how good your tutor is in my opinion. It is only for a year, and if you don't like it you can always drop it. Best of luck!

In response to your concern about the Essentials grammar program. The guide is not well laid out. [Think engineering manuel] However, an experienced tutor should be able to walk you through its use. The actual grammar program is outstanding im(very)ho. My dd and I have had a wonderful year exploring words and how they are used in sentences. The great thing about the guide is its flexibility. Technically, it is considered a 3 year program. You can tailor the tasks to your child's ability. If they have never done grammar, you can really focus on the memory work. If they have some basic definitions and knowledge, then they can delve into the whys of sentence structure and complete the more difficult tasks. Ultimately, it is up to you the parent how it looks. KWIM? I am not an Essentials tutor, but I am a Challenge A director, so I am definitely biased in my opinion. However, I would put my dd up there with almost any high school student and bet that she would whip them when it comes to grammar knowledge. A good chunk of which came from EEL. HTH.

Our CC does LfC with 6th graders and up. Just fyi. You have to check your local group.

Since it meets just once a week, obviously the bulk of the Latin is up to you.

Hey There:-)

I tried to pm you... but... you're popular!! Your box is full :-)

How do they do LFC with 6th and up??

Inquiring minds wanna know!! :-)

Thanks!!