Menu

I work for the best people...

March 17 was the corporate tax deadline, and I worked about 68.5 hours the week leading up to the deadline. On Monday the 17th, I got sick and left work early (6 pm). Tuesday I worked at home. On Wednesday, I felt like death warmed over but I couldn't afford to not go to the office. When I got there, I found out that we had a drop dead delivery deadline of Thursday for 4 projects that were not yet complete. No way could all four of them be ready by Thursday, so the client gave us the order of priorities and still wanted them all by Friday. One of them, I had reviewed, but the CPA who'd prepared it was out sick so I had to do the revisions. While I did that, another CPA worked on the second project and then gave it to me to finish when she left. So, I worked 11.5 hours Wed and 13.5 hours Thursday. At some point, the CPA who was out sick went and got a flu test and she was POSITIVE. She and I both have the exact same symptoms, so I'm certain I have the flu, too.

Friday morning I dragged myself to the office and one of the partners had a question about one of the projects. It was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. I was sick, exhausted, under a lot of pressure, and I completely fell apart. I went in my office, closed the door, and put my phone on DND. In a little while, someone knocked, but I ignored it. A few minutes later, one of the partners emailed me to tell me it was him who had knocked on my door.....

And he had brought me a chocolate milkshake!!!!!!!

It was such a small thing, but ya know, it's a big deal when the people you work with and for really care about you as a person and not just a business asset. The rest of my day was so much better, even though I was at the office for 14 hours.

So after working over 50 hours this week with the flu, I did not even pick up a file today. I brought some work home, but I am still exhausted, I have a nasty cough, and so I rested. Now that the day is over, I'm trying really hard not to feel guilty. Tomorrow's Easter, and I am determined that I am not going to work on Easter. Next week, I'll probably wish I had gone ahead and worked some. :willy_nilly:

This is what I'm going to post in 3 weeks and 3 days:

:party:

In case you're wondering, my kids get spring break for the months of March and April and we homeschool through the summer. My dh is an MDiv student and he was on spring break this week. He and dd14 finished putting new siding on our house. She learned things I can't teach her and had some valuable bonding time with her Dad. :thumbup:

It was such a small thing, but ya know, it's a big deal when the people you work with and for really care about you as a person and not just a business asset. The rest of my day was so much better, even though I was at the office for 14 hours.

That is sooo true. I just started back to work this month for the first time in 5 years and I pray that my employers will be as kind. Its great that you have the flexibility in your school schedule to take March and April off. The fact that you are able to pull this off gives me hope. This was my first week with any real deadlines and the whole family ended up sick.

Hopefully, next week will be better for you all. Enjoy the day off.

Laurel T.

And he had brought me a chocolate milkshake!!!!!!!

Sometimes it is the small things that mean the most. Sorry that you are sick and I hope you get better quick so you can last the next 3 weeks. :)