Menu

Is this too much for 2nd Grade?

diaperjoys

How does this workload seem for 2nd Grade? Too much? Too little? Too many pieces? This will be for a 7yo, reads way above grade level, average in other subjects.

Language Arts:

Grammar - CLE 2 (just using this for grammar, skip the spelling sections)

Writing - WWE 2

Spelling - Rod & Staff 2 & 3

Handwriting - HWT 2, then Classically Cursive

Literature - Logos Press Literature Guide

Math:

Math Mammoth (really "clicks" with him; huge increase in understanding)

CLE Math 1 (but he really needs something spiral too)

Other:

History - continue SOTW 1/Veritas History Cards

Bible - continue OT

Greek - Alphabet Code Cracker, Song School Greek

Music - Piano Lessons

PE - TaeKwonDo

Looks similar to my plan for next year...so I think it looks great. :)

We, too, are having an issue with CLE Math 1. We are actually almost finished with the program (Light Unit 108 right now, almost to 109), but he did not retain the facts over the year. He can add easily but struggles with subtraction...especially when you are subtracting from a number greater than 10. We will probably move to R&S math 2 for next year and just deal with going at a slower pace for him with regard to facts.

Instead of CLE LA 2, I chose to do R&S English 2 along with R&S spelling. Writing is included in R&S English and he gets lots of copywork from his Pentime handwriting. :) We will do CLE Reading 2, though.

Literature guides were rather useless for mine at that age, but YMMV. Is it just the activities you want? I would stick to hands-on projects in science and history, and let reading just be fun:o) You can get great lists from Sonlight, Veritas, WinterPromise, WTM, etc. I have my 3rd grader write a short summary when he finishes a book, not every time, just a couple of times a month.