Menu

Please pick next readaloud...

linders

I am overwhlemed by our "to be read" shelf. The boys like everything from old classics (Nesbit, Carroll, Lewis) to adventure (Verne) to modern fantasy (Harry Potter, Peter and the Starcatchers).

So....

Twenty-One Balloons?

Mysterious Benedict Society?

Through the Looking Glass? (We did Alice last year)

Wind in the Willows?

Five Children and It?

Do you have a fave?

P.S. The boys can't decide either...

One of the best things we did was make a book jar, with tons of readaloud titles written on folded slips of paper inside. When we're nearing the end of a book, we pull from the book jar for the next one. It (mostly) ended the disagreements over books I wanted to read vs. the ones DD wanted to me read (no, I won't read Geronimo Stilton or Rainbow Fairies books as bedtime reading :glare:). The rule is that no matter what comes out, we have to read at least two chapters before anyone can veto it. We've given up on a few, but not many! It makes choosing a nonissue :D

As for the options you have now, I think I'd pick The Wind in the Willows. I'm currently searching for a good illustrated version now myself!

One of the best things we did was make a book jar, with tons of readaloud titles written on folded slips of paper inside. When we're nearing the end of a book, we pull from the book jar for the next one. It (mostly) ended the disagreements over books I wanted to read vs. the ones DD wanted to me read (no, I won't read Geronimo Stilton or Rainbow Fairies books as bedtime reading :glare:). The rule is that no matter what comes out, we have to read at least two chapters before anyone can veto it. We've given up on a few, but not many! It makes choosing a nonissue :D

This is an excellent idea!!!

This is an excellent idea!!!

Thanks :D It's my one and only original homeschooling idea :lol: I combed reading lists from a bunch of different sites (Sonlight, VP, WP, other HSers' blogs, etc.) from 1st-4th grades and put them all together in a list, and that's what we've used. I should really update it but haven't had time. Soon...

Here's a link if anyone wants to use my list as a jumping off point.

http://theunlikelyschoolhouse.blogspot.com/2008/08/book-jar-list.html

Beware that it's a bit skewed toward literature for girls!

All the OP's choices are good reads.

I vote for Twenty One Balloons. We read it a couple of years ago and kids loved it - especially the boys.
We finished it yesterday, and started Journey to the Centre of the Earth tonight. Lots of fun.