Menu

Help me dress my boys for a formal wedding.

We plan to attend a formal afternoon wedding in an urban city. What would be appropriate for boys to wear?

I have an 8yo ds and a 6yo ds.

The grooms are wearing tuxedos, the bridesmaids ankle length formal gowns.

I haven't been to anything formal in 10 years much less with my children and am guessing in the dark. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

If it is a formal wedding, I would expect all men to be wearing suits, and women to be wearing a more formal, longer dress (although I do own a great pair of formal pants that I wore to my brother's black tie wedding, as I couldn't find a gown I could nurse in).

I would think that boys should be as formal as possible, as well. Suits would be best, but a nice pair of pants, collared shirt, tie, and sweater would also be acceptable. (Unless of course you ask my grandmother, and she'll tell you that short pants and knee socks would be most acceptable for any boy age 5 or under.)

Grey slacks and navy blazers, with a nice button down shirt (light blue or white) and a tie, and shiny black shoes. . . That's what I've done for ds when he has had formal events.

IME, a matched suit (same fabric slacks and blazer) is not required for kids unless it is an EXTREMELY formal night time wedding, with the GUESTS wearing tuxes. If the guests are in suits, then I think the grey slacks/navy blazers will look great on the boys. . . and will get a lot more mileage than a full suit. If the guests wil be wearing tuxes, then you might want to just go with rented tuxes for the boys, as that'll be (a lot) cheaper than buying suits, and you'd probably not get any additional use out of the suits anyway.

I went to my sister's formal wedding in September.

My younger boys, DS6 and DS3, wore slacks, dress shirt, tie, and sweater vest.

DS11 did the same, minus the sweater vest. He's a bit chunky, so the sweater vest look just wasn't going to be good for him, but yet I couldn't see paying for a suit jacket at this growing stage in his life, that he would probably only wear this once. He still looked very handsome, IMHO :D.

Much to my surprise, my boys and one other family, were the only children that were dressed up! The rest of the children were dressed very casual. I assume the parents were going for comfort over looks for their children. But you know what surprised me even more, even some of the adults were dressed very casually!

Maybe it has to do with the location. This wedding was in the outskirts of Kansas City, so many guests were small-town folks coming in from the mid-west.

• 1 year later...
Guest noelioni
We plan to attend a formal afternoon wedding in an urban city. What would be appropriate for boys to wear?

I have an 8yo ds and a 6yo ds.

The grooms are wearing tuxedos' date=' the bridesmaids ankle length formal gowns.

I haven't been to anything formal in 10 years much less with my children and am guessing in the dark. Any thoughts would be appreciated.[/quote']

I really recommend Boys Suits Store http://www.boyssuitsstore.com if you ever need boys suits for weddings, church and other formal events. I bought suits from them for my boys and I have been very pleased with the quality, price and look. Good luck!!

I would ask friends and check the kids consignment shops in your area before buying a suit new, if money is a concern. Since they are often worn only once or twice before being outgrown, you can often find pristine items for a very reasonable price. Ditto for boys' dress shoes.

I agree that a suit would be good if you have access to one, a blazer and nice pants with a tie is another option, and a sweater instead of a blazer would probably be OK.

Don't worry about suits. Suits are not necessary for little boys, and especially not for day events.

You don't even need a blazer! Nice pants, shoes, a crisp white shirt, and a cotton v neck sweater in a pretty color will do it. Really. I said navy blazers, but even those are not needed for the age of your little boys. Don't spend the money if you don't have it. Dark suits are not for little boys.