Menu

Knitters - ? about needles

After being stumped on how to knit for quite a while, my oldest dd figured it out all on her own! :thumbup: Which I find amusing because she's always been the one who wouldn't be able to do something (i.e. walking, riding her bike) and then all of a sudden and all on her own could do it.

I'm jealous...I've been trying for an even longer time and can not figure it out. :lol: :tongue_smilie:

Anyway, I'd like to get her a set of bamboo needles for her birthday but I have no idea what to buy. I know that the SP needles will keep the stitches from slipping off. However, I found these (I recently got their bamboo crochet hooks and L.O.V.E. them!!!): Patina bamboo needles by U-nitt (they have 6"-8")

Could we make them SP by putting little balls of self-hardening clay?

Or would these SP needles be better for her to start with?

Thanks!

It really depends on what she is more likely to want to knit. Small round things (socks, mittens, gloves) work better with double-pointed needles. Larger things (sweaters) work better with single pointed needles.

You could put little balls of clay on the end but they would still be too short to make a anything bigger than a sock or mitten.

Something like this wouldn't be bad

http://cgi.ebay.com/12-Size-Set-Bamboo-Knitting-Needles-SP-13-5-US-0-10-5_W0QQitemZ300388373407QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45f08ad39f

Double points are used for making socks, gloves and other tube things. They are used like circulars or for very small projects and cords. They are nice, but not really necessary right away. It can be a bit much for a new knitter IMO. One would be working with more than two needles at a time, often four or five.

Bamboo is good, I do like my fancy needles but I have older hands. :lol:

I would get a couple mid-range sizes like 6-8 and then some big ones like 13s and a couple circulars for hats or something.

If I am buying single point straights I only buy the shorter ones. The long ones tend to make my wrists tired. If I am making something that would need longer needles I just use circulars instead.

I don't usually allow myself to buy yarn or needles without a project in mind. It is like buying a bunch of scrapbooking materials without a project planned. That is how you end up with a huge stash and not really what you "NEED" :lol:

If you are having trouble knitting you should check out http://www.knittinghelp.com/ It is a great site with videos. I use it a lot when I am having trouble with a pattern.

I would also recommend checking out https://www.ravelry.com

Edited by Sis

Personally, I think 13" needles are hard for a beginner, and especially for a kid. I think the set of needles you linked to were really nice - for a fantastic price! But I think I'd hold off on a set like that until she has more practice.

For basics, I gave my dd a set of 8mm Clover Takumi bamboo SP. I am teaching a beginning class as well, and each student will be getting the same size, but not in bamboo.

eta: These are the ones I purchased for my students.

Edited by JoyfulMama

I know she doesn't need a full set...I want to give her one. ;) Just like I didn't really need more crochet hooks but now I have a full, pretty bamboo set so I'm prepared for any project I might choose. :lol:

The Options look nice too.

Sis ~ Thanks! That looks like a nice bamboo set! Somehow I hadn't seen that store on ebay yet.

Oh goodness, I've tried that website. I've tried just about every book our library has...including the ones for kids. I've tried youtube videos. I'll figure it out one of these days. LOL

And we're all over Raverly. :) Both of my oldest girls are in the homeschool kids group there.

Joyful ~ Which set?

Edited by Heather in OK

Have you tried knit picks circs? Are the nickle plated ones nice? I haven't tried knit picks before but they look fun and their circs are cheaper than turbos

I got one 16" of the nickel plated circs and they are slick! Actually too slick for me. I'm not a fast knitter--I prefer the Harmony. At this point I don't have much experience with their circs, just dpn's. But I do *love* those.

Cinder

Have you tried knit picks circs? Are the nickle plated ones nice? I haven't tried knit picks before but they look fun and their circs are cheaper than turbos

I like the KP circs better than Addi Turbos! The nickel plated ones are my absolute favorites, but the Harmony wood ones are nice too. Not a huge fan of the acrylic tips.

I'll recommend the Knit Picks circs as well. I have Addis and they're quite slippery - not something I'd recommend for a beginner. My daughter (10)finds my KP Harmony needles much less frustrating to work with. And she thinks the colors are cool. :)

I learned to crochet before I learned to knit and continental knitting was much easier for me to learn than English. The yarn and working needle is held in the same hands as crochet.