Menu

ETC ....half books yea or nay

mlgbug

so i wasnt planning on using the half books...and moving dd right into 2 this weekend....

but i just flipped through it and i actually think ill pull stuff from it as review BEFORE she does her 2 pages a day in book 2.

Like the sentence building and writing, fill in the blanks, these all seem really great to use. She just doesnt need to go over the while cirle the letters write the word. xing the matching words...

does this sounds like a good idea to the hive or no :)

I"m doing book 1.5 with my son now, but decided to do it is as further review before going on to book 2. My original plan was go to on to book 2, but thought he needed more practice.

I wouldn't think you would need the half books, if the concepts from the book before is solid.

interesting to hear everyone's thoughts

Depends on your child. 3 of mine didn't need them, they learned SOOO quickly and caught on, we whipped through the series.

2 of my kids NEEDED the 1/2s. Spelling, writing, and reading was SUCH a struggle for them.

They are excellent, inexpensive workbooks and resale is TOP dollar - so I never mind buying books in this series ready to have on hand.

Top writing/reading, spelling book we've used. One of my top recommondeations for homeschoolers and all schoolers alike when their children are ready for reading/writing.

interesting. i was going to do it ALONG with book 2. i havent looking into book 2 yet. but i really like in 1.5 they have all the words for a sentence jumbled and she has to put them where they belong AND write it. i wih they had that activity in book one, rather than just writing the words they see from the picture.

interesting. i was going to do it ALONG with book 2. i havent looking into book 2 yet. but i really like in 1.5 they have all the words for a sentence jumbled and she has to put them where they belong AND write it. i wih they had that activity in book one, rather than just writing the words they see from the picture.

I like that too. It does seem like book 1.5 is a more advanced version of the info from book 1.

My son has really benefited from the 1/2 books. We don't do every page, but after we do a "whole number" book we do selected review from the corresponding 1/2 book which seems to help cement things, especially since some of those words he hasn't used in a few weeks. ETC is his primary reading instruction, so I'm pretty careful about using it well.

thanks for the replies. i dont think she NEEDS it, but i think it wont hurt, especially the fill in the sentence and th create the sentence pages....

so i think she will do her usualy 2 pages on book 2 a day, along with 1 page of 1 1/2

We are the same here, my son definitely doesn't need them (he is reading at a 3rd grade level), I just use them as extra practice and we do use the half books. I considered skipping the halves until I noticed the sentence puzzles also. I then decided to use the half books, it has been great for hw practice too. We do 16 pages a week along with Horizons Phonics. We had to stop because of an overseas move, which left us with no books for 2 1/2 months. Boy was I ever glad we pressed ahead. We are almost done book 2 1/2. We will be starting again this week after I finish setting up our school area and then move onto book 3.

I put great emphasis on Phonics and we have used HOP K-2 and finished several months ago (last spring). He are now using Horizons and ETC for Phonics. I also recently got The Writing Road to Reading from our library and am reading through that to see how I will proceed with my second son when he is ready.

Edited by Guest

I bought 3.5 to help cement a concept ds was having trouble with in 3. After seeing how they took the skills a bit further in the half book, I went ahead and bought 4.5 to use in conjunction with 4. He'll do the lessons in 4, then before moving to the next rule, we do the corresponding work in 4.5. It makes it more solid for him, and makes me feel better that he's really understanding it. I'm going to continue to do this for the subsequent books.

I use the halves after we are done for review instead.

Note: I had to edit my last post. I was saying whole when I wanted to say half :tongue_smilie:. I guess I shouldn't post that early in the morning before having my coffee (it was almost 5am my time).

Edited by Guest