Menu

Need advice about selling curriculum

Like everyone else, my husband and I are really enjoying the economy here in California (can't you just feel the sarcasm?). Anyway, we are anticipating two upcoming paycuts, one for this school year and another for next school year, and I'm looking at selling some of my unused curriculum to help with our bills while dh looks for a second job.

Since I've never sold anything on the board here, I'd love to hear any tips you'd be willing to share. For example, do you usually sell things in sets, or is it better to break things up? I've got the entire Key To... series, but maybe it would be better to list it piecemeal? Do you list everything in one thread, or several threads? Do you bundle things, for instance, if you have several books on writing--one price for all?

Any and all hints are welcome and appreciated! :bigear:

I've always had to sell in order the buy curriculum, so unused things don't stay around long unless there's a strong reason to keep them.

Being frank, I prefer http://www.homeschoolclassifieds.com over the boards here. It's less work for me and seems to get more traffic. It's easier to add/delete listings and you don't have to do things to bump them up in the listings. I sold here for a long time and did well, but I pretty much don't list here anymore.

For things that came as a set, I list as a set, but if it doesn't move after several months, I put in the listing "Willing to break up set."

I agree- list things including postage. As for sets, it just depends. I love to sell in sets because it's easier for me. But sometimes when I'm shopping, I don't need the whole set, so I ask if they are willing to break it up. You could give a price for each item but then put a discounted price if they are willing to buy the whole set.

Is it just me, or is no one buying right now? Maybe it's just the stuff I'm selling, but I've never had books listed for so long before without selling them. I guess a lot of people are in the same boat- needing to sell before they can buy.

I've always had to sell in order the buy curriculum, so unused things don't stay around long unless there's a strong reason to keep them.

Being frank, I prefer www.homeschoolclassifieds.com over the boards here. It's less work for me and seems to get more traffic. It's easier to add/delete listings and you don't have to do things to bump them up in the listings. I sold here for a long time and did well, but I pretty much don't list here anymore.

For things that came as a set, I list as a set, but if it doesn't move after several months, I put in the listing "Willing to break up set."

So things can take months to sell? What would you say is the average time?