Menu

"Rice and Beans" What exactly does that traditionally mean?

Guest Virginia Dawn

When I lived in PR, rice and beans was seasoned red beans over white rice.

When I lived in Key West, it was black beans over yellow rice.

I think you can have any kind of bean you want over any kind of rice. :-)

For me, the only way I found to cook brown rice that doesn't make it like oatmeal is to put the recommended amount of rice and water in a pan, and put it on medium heat with the cover off. I give it a quick stir every 10 minutes or so, until the rice has absorbed a lot of the water and it is bubbling, then I cover it, turn it on low and let it cook for about ? minutes. OOps I've forgotten how long, I'm guessing 30 minutes or so. You might have to use trial and error.

Are you asking because you're interested in bean dishes or are you asking to see what the phrase "rice and beans" mean to different people? Rice and beans has always meant red beans and rice for me. Although we do enjoy lima beans or black eyed peas over rice too. I'm not sure why in my head it doesn't stand for any of these.

We buy the low sodium boxed rice and beans mix when it is on ultra sale. Meal for pennies. I'd like to replicate some of the flavors from the box mix. It seems canjun-ish (now there's a word) to me.

We also use canned beans occasionally with brown rice. We've been experimenting with different types/brands of rice, so I can't tell the best way to cook it. We go by the directions on the bag.

We've also been experimenting with different flavorings when cooking the beans in the crockpot, but haven't found the best combo yet.

Edited by OrganicAnn

My favorite way to cook any rice, brown or otherwise, is in the microwave. I just use the right amounts of water to rice and cook in an open glass bowl. My microwave is very powerful so it cooks it in less time than it would on the stove. I would start with a lower time and increase time if the rice isn't all the way cooked. We do this all the time and it is perfectly good. I never could get the hang of cooking it on the stove without managing to burn it and I don't want a rice cooker.

It's red beans and rice down Louisiana way.

I cook the beans in a slow cooker. I sometimes use canned and other times use dried if I think to soak them overnight. I can't help you with the rice except to rinse it well and perhaps let it soak over night before cooking to reduce stickiness (longer grain the better, too).

I used to use a Zatarain's spice mix to season them, but it's not available in my area any more so I now just do my own thing. I do add a skinless, all beef sausage that I still import from Baton Rouge. We think it's the best, but I'm sure there must be other good, skinless beef sausages out there. It would also be good with andouille and/or tasso thrown in the pot.

Here's the recipe I use, which is largely from a Vernon Roger (Baton Rouge celebrity) cookbook:

Make sure you have enough water for the beans, whether canned or dry. I often use chicken or beef stock, rather than plain water (bouillion would work, too). Or you could use vegetable stock, particularly if you are putting no meat in the dish.

Chopped onion - I use about a double handful

2 Bay leaves

Black pepper - I grind about a teaspoon

Thyme - I add about a tablespoon

Chopped bell pepper - I add about the amount of one whole, medium pepper

Chopped celery (I use the leaves, too) - I add one or two individual stalks

Minced garlic - I add about a tablespoon

Tobasco - I add about eight dashes

Tony Chachere's seasoning - I add about a tablespoon

You can vary the seasonings to your taste and depending on the amount of beans you make. You might also add a can of crushed tomatoes (or about two fresh, crushed tomatoes).

You serve it over steamed rice.

my grandma/mom's traditional beans and rice

1 pound bag of red beans (or any variety) soaked overnight.

Drain in morning

Put in crock pot with 6-8 c water (more or less depending on how soupy you like),

1 chopped large chopped onion,

lots of chopped garlic;

bay leaf

optional:1/2-1 pound ham pieces or sausage--spicy or not--

cook all day.

salt and pepper to taste

options: serve with vinaigrette or Tabasco or salsa or add tomato(fresh or canned chopped) and green pepper,(or jalapeno) last 30-min to hour of cooking.

basic brown rice

1:2 brown rice to water. put both in a covered pot. bring to boil. simmer 45 min. Remove from heat, leave covered 10 min.

(mom and grandma would never have used brown rice :), but I do

I'm actually interested in tasty bean recipes to up my protein.

Rajma ("king bean" or large kidney bean) dal is delicious, keeps well, and can be put over rice or in a taco or as a main dish with some flatbread and raita. Here is YouTube vid on the technique of making this Panjabi curry. Recipes abound, it is the technique that is tricky.

When I lived in PR, rice and beans was seasoned red beans over white rice.

When I lived in Key West, it was black beans over yellow rice.

I think you can have any kind of bean you want over any kind of rice. :-)

Yup. It is my understanding that every culture in the world has their own version of this versatile concoction.

I love black beans with tomatoes, garlic, and salt and pepper over white rice.

I also love pinto beans with green chile and cheddar cheese over spanish rice.