Menu

Need B'day party ideas for DD's upcoming 11th b'day

We went to one of her friend's b'day parties (boy/11). Most of the kids in attendance are in a Bible study group together.

It was great fun and on a budget:

1. cupcakes

2. chips

3. fruit

4. drinks

That's it! It was held at a park (no fee). And, the Mom did not give goodie bags....good for her.

They played kickball, took pictures, ate.

The big play was playing in an open field dodging the spray string. Each can is $2 I think. So, for $20 - $25 she threw a party.

Since I wouldn't want to repeat the spray string stuff do you have any other ideaa for those of us on a budget.

Thanks. Sheryl <><

Tell me more, please!

We had a coop group that met at a local park and the leader had put together kits that had all the parts, glue etc. The children built their shooters and then they were able to take them right out and play. They used plumber glue (it was a blue color) and it dried real quick. It was great fun! The children spray painted their shooters to personalize them too.

You can make your own very inexpensively or I had seen that Oriental Trading has a shooter for $5.99. Here is the link:

http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/search/processRequest.do?Ntt=marshmallow+shooter&x=0&y=0&requestURI=searchMain&Ntk=all&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchallpartial&N=0

Marshmallow Gun Assembly Videos:

http://www.instructables.com/id/variation-on-the-marshmallow-gun/

http://www.instructables.com/id/Marshmallow-gun/

http://hubpages.com/hub/HomemadeToys_Perfect_For_Christmas_or_Anytime

Detailed Written instructions and list:

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Build-and-Shoot-a-Marshmallow-Gun&id=150942

Hope this helps! :)

We had a coop group that met at a local park and the leader had put together kits that had all the parts, glue etc. The children built their shooters and then they were able to take them right out and play. They used plumber glue (it was a blue color) and it dried real quick. It was great fun! The children spray painted their shooters to personalize them too.

You can make your own very inexpensively or I had seen that Oriental Trading has a shooter for $5.99. Here is the link:

http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/search/processRequest.do?Ntt=marshmallow+shooter&x=0&y=0&requestURI=searchMain&Ntk=all&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchallpartial&N=0

Marshmallow Gun Assembly Videos:

http://www.instructables.com/id/variation-on-the-marshmallow-gun/

http://www.instructables.com/id/Marshmallow-gun/

http://hubpages.com/hub/HomemadeToys_Perfect_For_Christmas_or_Anytime

Detailed Written instructions and list:

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Build-and-Shoot-a-Marshmallow-Gun&id=150942

Hope this helps! :)

Yes, it's appreciated more than you know. I googled after we last spoke and found the homemade and automatic shooters. They automatic are a little pricey. Is it hard for the kids to muster enough lung power to dislodge the marshmellow?

We had the pieces of pvc pipe and fittings on a table and the kids made their shooters. Give them a bag of small marshmallows and away they go. They had a blast. Cake and presents at the end and everyone went home happy. A permanent marker works fine for names.

Yes, it's appreciated more than you know. I googled after we last spoke and found the homemade and automatic shooters. They automatic are a little pricey. Is it hard for the kids to muster enough lung power to dislodge the marshmellow?

Not at all. Just a regular strength blow and that marshmallow really zooms! Fun!

We did this for my son's 12th birthday and several sisters were along. I must say they were in the thick of it! Other ideas that are fun are relays, the sponge in the bucket of water, the suitcase and you have to put the clothes on, run, take them off, pack and on to the next one, there are many more. There is some mummy thing where you wrap someone up in toilet paper. It's getting late. :) Check out a game book at the library. Then just let them run and have fun.

We did this for my son's 12th birthday and several sisters were along. I must say they were in the thick of it! Other ideas that are fun are relays, the sponge in the bucket of water, the suitcase and you have to put the clothes on, run, take them off, pack and on to the next one, there are many more. There is some mummy thing where you wrap someone up in toilet paper. It's getting late. :) Check out a game book at the library. Then just let them run and have fun.

Thanks for those ideas! I've got some good ones, so now off to decide!!

One last question.....do you think girls would do this? It seems more like a boy toy. What do ya think for 11 year old girls?

Definately! Most of the children at the event we attended were girls and they were right in there with the boys having a great time!

• 2 months later...

My dd's party is a week from tomorrow.

Arrive

Game 1

Game 2

Maybe game 3

Eat, pictures

Presents

Free play

Water break

Marshmallow shooter

Go home

Depending on length of the games, I need ideas for games 1, 2 and maybe 3.

Water balloons and scavenger hunt were mentioned. I like those ideas, but my dh said balloons will not transport well. Scavenger hunt: need ideas here.

Need more game ideas. What about 3 legged race? Others? Sure could use your help on this asap. Thanks. Sheryl <><

Relay races

1. Egg on a spoon, pass to the next person

2. suitcase race--run up, dress in funky clothes (Hawaiian shirt, hat, big shorts, tie that's already tied), say a funny phrase, undress, run back

3. Sponge relay--2 buckets for each team, two big car-type sponges. Fill first bucket with water and add sponge. Pick up sponge, run to empty bucket, squeeze out, run back. First team to fill the empty bucket up to the line (whatever line you want to make on the bucket) wins.

There are lots of scavenger hunts online--do a nature oriented one if you are outside.

You could set up a nature craft on a picnic table--we got birdhouses from the dollar store and craft paint--very cheap, and gives you a favor to send home.

ETA: Oh, shoot! I see Star already gave you those relay ideas! lol Must be popular.

Relay races

1. Egg on a spoon, pass to the next person

2. suitcase race--run up, dress in funky clothes (Hawaiian shirt, hat, big shorts, tie that's already tied), say a funny phrase, undress, run back

3. Sponge relay--2 buckets for each team, two big car-type sponges. Fill first bucket with water and add sponge. Pick up sponge, run to empty bucket, squeeze out, run back. First team to fill the empty bucket up to the line (whatever line you want to make on the bucket) wins.

There are lots of scavenger hunts online--do a nature oriented one if you are outside.

You could set up a nature craft on a picnic table--we got birdhouses from the dollar store and craft paint--very cheap, and gives you a favor to send home.

ETA: Oh, shoot! I see Star already gave you those relay ideas! lol Must be popular.

Thanks Chris. I do like the spoon/egg idea, but not wanting to copy from the party we attended recently, the bucket idea sounds fun too! Suitcase is good too, but we'll be outside where it's already HOT here.

I'm planning on the shooters being their favor home....will keep the birdhouse idea for next year!!! Thanks. SHeryl <><

I'm planning on the shooters being their favor home

That's a great idea! Would a shooter knock over an empty soda can? You could do a shooting gallery of sorts, if you don't want them *only* shooting each other! lol Sounds like a lot of fun.

One other ice-breaker type of game--

You make a grid like a bingo card and put a characteristic or experience in each square. Things like, "Has 3 brothers" or "Has been to Canada" or "Has a birthday in August"-- Then you give everyone 4 or 5 minutes to ask around and see who fits each catagory. Works best in a large group, so you could involve the adults, too. First to fill in the whole card gets a "fabulous mystery prize" as my husband always says (we do this at our parish retreat).

I'm planning on the shooters being their favor home

That's a great idea! Would a shooter knock over an empty soda can? You could do a shooting gallery of sorts, if you don't want them *only* shooting each other! lol Sounds like a lot of fun.

One other ice-breaker type of game--

You make a grid like a bingo card and put a characteristic or experience in each square. Things like, "Has 3 brothers" or "Has been to Canada" or "Has a birthday in August"-- Then you give everyone 4 or 5 minutes to ask around and see who fits each catagory. Works best in a large group, so you could involve the adults, too. First to fill in the whole card gets a "fabulous mystery prize" as my husband always says (we do this at our parish retreat).

LOVE, LOVE your ideas here! That's exactly the types of games I looking for. Yes, shooters are their favor home. It works on our budget....about $3 each...not bad huh?!! Could spray paint, but my friend and I were discussing the pros and cons to it...mostly cons from her point of view. That's OK, it's an added expense that may not be appreciated. :D

Love the soda can ideas....my neighbor down the street is a coke-aholic as in the soda....:D I'll get them from her. My dh "tested" a shooter out and it flew about 20 ft....!!!! A nice variation will be the soda can...can't tell you how great that is.

Bingo GREAT! Will do this. Glad I have a week to work on it. Do I make one master board for me or only the questions? Then, do I give each participant a game board, right?

Honestly Chris, you get the star for today!! :001_smile: