Menu

WWE Level 1 Help!

aready

What age did you start WWE? I have a K, who is doing mostly 1st work, so we started on WWE. She is having trouble with some of the questions about the narrative. Any experience with this? The funny thing is that if we were doing something that didn't have so much figurative language in the passages I'm sure she would do fine and could easily complete the tasks. But at this point she isn't able to answer many questions. Anyone done this before?

Thanks!

:)

She might just need more time for her brain to develop. I have found different things develop at different times. My ds7 is finally reading but can't picture the word in his mind to spell it to save his life. We started WWE1 last spring (2nd semester of 1st grade, he was 6). We did 2 days worth of work each day/5 days a week. He did great at that and now we just started WWE2. I'm finding we can't necessarily combine 2 days worth of work into 1 day anymore. That's okay, I'd rather he get it and be comfortable with it and like (or at least tolerate, he is a 7 year old boy, after all) it and cover less more thoroughly than rush through and have him hate it or not really understand it.

So, all this rambling to say, it's a fantastic program, your dd might just need to wait till next year. If you want to finish it early you can easily accelerate like I did (2 days of work in 1 calendar day). I know I'm not the only one who does that!

Hope this helps!

I'm just starting WWE with my DD in 1st grade (will be 7 in March). The first half of the year we did narration through our storytime and she did copywork from a key idea in our bible study. I personally didn't want to start anything formal until the 2nd part of 1st grade. I know everyone is different though. :) My twin boy's in K would not be ready for WWE either.

Well, part of it is *learning* to listen and think and answer those questions. I wouldn't assume she isn't ready just because she can't answer all of the questions. Ask her, and if she doesn't know the answer, go back and read her the applicable section. Can she answer now? If not, ask her some leading questions. Go back and point out the answer. (Actually *point* it out, showing her the words on the page.) Take your time. Give her *time* to answer. Don't assume that because the answer doesn't come tumbling out the moment you ask that she can't answer -- give her a good 5 seconds to think before you start offering leading questions or re-reading the appropriate sentences from the story.

Don't be afraid to coach her for a little while -- that's part of what this is about. :)

When my son has trouble answering the questions (in WWW 2), sometimes I reread the passage, sometimes I tell him the answer. Many times the questions he has trouble with are about minor details that really have no bearing on his comprehension of the story. In fact, many times *I* don't even remember the answer!

Some things that might help are slowing down your rate of reading and telling her to visualize. I know that when I remind my son to visualize what I'm reading his ability to answer the questions goes up.

We're doing WWE1 also - and it's hard for the 1st grader...

I think younger kids' writing levels tend to be far behind their reading level (maybe it's a brain development thing)...for example...my 2nd grader reads at a 4th grade reading level, but when she writes, it is NOT at a 4th grade reading level...

These are good options! Knew I could count on the hive!

My K is above in some levels which is why I started her in WWE so soon. I feel like you all do, that some of it might be above where she is, but the passages are really not our "typical" spoken language. I guess my question is now, is the point of WWE to learn how to summarize? Comprehension? Or to be exposed to these types of books? Or all of the above? I guess I need to know that before I know how to proceed!

Thanks!

I am using it this year- this past fall I used it with a group of (6) 5-7 year olds. My dd was the only one (she was 6 1/2) who could answer the questions (the 2 seven year olds often couldn't). I think it might have to do with the fact that my 6 1/2 yr old is my youngest and we've done BOATLOADs of memory work for the past 2 years. The other kids were first borns and it was thier first year homeschooling.

I did re-read parts of the passage for them more than once. I felt the goal was to train them to listen for details. We also talked about the passage and the kids would have a chance to relate it to what they knew.

We are doing WWE at home now and my dd (she'll be 7 in a week) usually completes 2-4 "days" of a lesson a day. But we've also done a ton of coypwork (using MP's books).

Were it me I would just use the WWE format to work on narration with whatever you are reading to your daughter to help her learn the process, and then start WWE in 1st grade.

:iagree:

I guess my question is now, is the point of WWE to learn how to summarize? Comprehension? Or to be exposed to these types of books? Or all of the above? I guess I need to know that before I know how to proceed!

IHMO, the point at this level is to learn comprehension, narrating back, and how properly written english looks (copywork of excellent examples from classic works: master writers).

WWE 2 is working on summarization skills and picturing sentences in your head then writing them down.

Have you read the "textbook" SWB wrote for WWE? It's not necessary to have, but if your library has it you might want to check it out to get an overview of WWE, how the program works and where it's taking you. This would help you decide what direction you want to go.

HTH!

I have a little bit different perspective since I started WWE 1 with my 10 year old last year. We did one week's worth of lessons in 1 day. She has writing problems so that is why I chose the program. The comprehension questions are very easy for her. I don't think she ever missed one. We're almost done with level 2 now and still doing a week in one day easily. My point is that I think if you are reading good literature and letting her tell you or someone about what she's heard and learned she will be able to do these questions eventually. I would just use easier passages from things that you are already reading.

Tricia

I haven't read all the posts but I just wanted to say that in the introductory pages SWB recommends starting WWE Level 1 after the child is at least 6 (doesn't insist on it but recommends that it is better if the child is at least 6) ;). I was going to start with my son when he was 5 1/2. After reading that I decided to go with the suggestion and so left it till the fall. By then my son will be almost 7. HTH!

4evercanucks - I had no idea that SWB said that...I scoured the web looking for the recommended age for WWE 1 before we started.

My son is 6, just started WWE1 and it is the perfect level for him. Hmmmm... :D

Quote from: WWE Strong Fundamentals, pg. 31 - Preschool and Kindergarten

However, I do not encourage parents to push children into first-grade writing skills early: it's often much better to take advantage of a late birthday and allow the child an additional year to mature. If your child is younger than six, don't feel that you're gaining some kind of advantage by beginning Year One work early. Work on handwriting, and read, read, read together. Wait until the child is first-grade age before starting on the Year One exercises.

HTH!;)