Menu

HSMom2One

I'm thinking about next year so I can budget for costs, and am just beginning to explore foreign language options. Dd will be finished with LFC B, and would like to switch over to Spanish. I'd love to try Rosetta Stone, but it's just too expensive. What say you, Hive? Any suggestions for a bright 6th grader with some Latin studies under her belt?

And along with curriculum choices, what about the version of Spanish we choose for her as a beginner? We live on the west coast where there are many Latinos, but I would also like her to be able to speak Spanish abroad when she travels in the future or use Spanish as a second language as a career enhancement.

I do not speak a foreign language, so the curriculum of choice would be user friendly to parents that don't speak the language (like LFC, for instance). We would prefer a package that includes DVD's and/or CD's. Bundles are nice :~)

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One

Since you use LFC, definitely take a look at SFC. I like the DVD a lot and they used to have a sample of it on the website (hope they still do). Julia is very fun and vibrant--definitely a hit with my younger dds. See what your 6th grader thinks.

There is some similarity in format and style to LFC, so if that worked for you, you may like this product too.

Since you use LFC, definitely take a look at SFC. I like the DVD a lot and they used to have a sample of it on the website (hope they still do). Julia is very fun and vibrant--definitely a hit with my younger dds. See what your 6th grader thinks.

There is some similarity in format and style to LFC, so if that worked for you, you may like this product too.

I am using this now with my 3rd grader and 5th grader and am really imipressed.

Blessings,

Angela

Thank you ladies! I don't know why I hadn't thought of that one already. I took a look, and it does seem like it might be a good choice. Is it also integrated with Shurley Grammar like the Latin program?

I'm still open to other options if anyone wants to throw another one out there for me. I'm not one to get stuck on the first choice, I like to compare what's available before making a decision.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I am a broken record when it comes to this but you could use the Elementary Spanish program on Discovery Streaming. :) You could start her at the 5th/6th grade unit which has 100 lessons. She could complete that in one year doing Spanish 5 days a week for 30 min. each day. Then in 7th grade she could move to their next program called Educacion Espanol. DS only carries 50 of the 100 lessons but from what others have shared, it is meaty enough that you could make that last for 2 years. Each lesson has several things to do.

Here is a thread I posted last week asking for Spanish plans for 6th grade and beyond. I asked others about Educacion Espanol. Their comments will give you more insight into the program:

"Please share your Spanish plans for 6th grade and beyond" thread.

What I like about this program is that it is completely pick up and go. My ds8 can complete it totally independently and has learned a great deal. This year I am having him work through the 3/4 unit in one year and next year in 4th grade he will complete the entire 5/6 grade unit. He has a natural affinity for language and I want to take full advantage of that. :)

You can get Discovery Streaming through the Homeschool Buyer's Co-op for $199 and that is a great price for a video based Spanish program plus you get access to 1000's of other educational videos.

The only question I would have is if the 5/6th grade Elementary Spanish unit has enough review of previously learned material that your dd would be able to pick it up before moving onto Educacion Espanol (which is supposed to be for 7th/8th graders). My guess is yes b/c this year in the 3rd/4th grade unit they have folded in review of all that was learned last year in the 1st/2nd grade unit. That would be a question you could ask of those ladies in the other thread who are further ahead of me using the program. I really think it would be fine though.

Good luck with your decision.

And along with curriculum choices, what about the version of Spanish we choose for her as a beginner? We live on the west coast where there are many Latinos, but I would also like her to be able to speak Spanish abroad when she travels in the future or use Spanish as a second language as a career enhancement.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Ooooooh, that's some great feedback you've given me, so thank you bunches. Now how about the above question?

Lucinda