Menu

Does anyone have a "Must Read " Literature list for studying Philosophy??

We did Sophie's World this summer and to go along with it we used:

Philosophy for Kids : 40 Fun Questions That Help You Wonder About Everything! by David A. White

Each Question highlighted a different philosopher and it had interesting discussion questions. The girls enjoyed it.

We did Sophie's World this summer and to go along with it we used:

Philosophy for Kids : 40 Fun Questions That Help You Wonder About Everything! by David A. White

Each Question highlighted a different philosopher and it had interesting discussion questions. The girls enjoyed it.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I am actually looking for either full length works by the philosophers or a book with an anthology of their works.

Thanks,

Faithe

Thanks to 2cents for suggesting the following title!

We're doing Sophie's World right now so I just reserved this from our local library! Yeah!

Myra

Plato: Apology, Crito, Meno, Protagoras, and the Republic

Aristotle: Ethics

Maimonides: Guide for the Perplexed

Aquinas: Being & Essence

Bacon: New Organon

More: Utopia

Machiavelli: The Prince

Montesquieu: Spirit of the Laws

Rousseau: Social Contract

Descartes: Discourse on Method; Meditation on First Philosophy

Locke: 2nd Treatise on Government

Paine:Rights of Man or Age of Reason

Hume: Enquiry concerning Human Understanding

Hobbes: Leviathan

Spinoza: Ethics

Berkeley: A Treatise Concerning the Principles of Human Understanding or 3 Dialogues

Kant: Critique of Pure Reason; Groundwork of the Metaphysics of Morals

Hegel:Phenomenology of Spirit

Marx: Communist Manifesto

Mill: On Liberty; Utilitarianism

More modern philosophers I have read in a more piecemeal fashion, so any list I made would be exceedingly disbalanced...

Another possibility would be to get a standard philosophy reader and use those selections and supplement as desired or use the selections to decide which things you'd like to do in their entirety. Here's one title, but there are dozens out there; you might want to check a local used bookstore.

Great List!!! Thanks for posting this!! :)

Are you sure Rambam is not a little too... culture-specific (in lack of better expression)? While I definitely agree about his (fundamental) importance for the Jewish thought, I'm not sure I'd put him on a "general" reading list.

Don't get me wrong, I like the list you provided, it's just that this strikes me as a bit odd, so I'd like to know why. :confused: