Menu

Horizon phonics vs saxon phonics

hsmom

We've used Saxon.

It is very thorough. Each lesson is divided into several sections. There is an alphabet activity (saying the alphabet, talking about consonants/vowels, accents, etc...), phonemic awareness (beginning, middle and ending sounds), new learning, handwriting/letter tiles, new deck cards, worksheet and homework.

The program is very dry. There are some card games included but after getting through a lesson we didn't want to look at it anymore that day. I stopped using it with my first child when she began reading well. I think maybe at lesson 80. I have stopped with my 2nd child because he cannot stuff anymore rules into his head.

I'm not a big fan and plan on finding something else for my youngest child next year.

We haven't used Horizon but a review that I read said that it blends words with the initial consonant and the vowel (ba, bo, bi, bu).

Kelly

We quickly tried Horizons a long time ago and found it moved much too fast for us. I switched to Saxon and although boring, I credit it for teaching my children to read and spell well. At least for my daughter anyway, it was perfect. It was perfect for my son too, but he's dyslexic. I quit it too early though since it was pretty drawn out. That was my biggest mistake. Now I'm back to Saxon Interventions with my son.

If I can answer any more specific questions, just let me know.