Menu

Taking a year off from the history cycle

Mom2boys

I'm wondering if anyone else has done this. I am thinking of taking a year off from our 4 year history cycle and doing WinterPromise's Adventures in the Sea & Sky with my two boys this next school year. This looks like a really neat unit study for boys, and I think it would be too much to do it in conjunction with SOTW. Next year my boys will be in 6th and 2nd grades, so they will be at a good point age-wise to do this particular unit study. I think we could all benefit from a year of stepping away from our regular curriculum and doing something different. And, we can visit the ocean and the Kennedy Space Center as part of vacation next year, which would tie in nicely.

:confused:But, my dilemma is, that puts us one year behind in our history studies. So, do I try and condense the next three years of history into two, so my oldest is back on track to do ancients in 9th grade? Or, do I just add another year to their schooling by calling next year a "year off' and picking back up with 2nd and 6th grades in 2009-2010? (both boys are young for their current grade level). Or, should I just forget WinterPromise all together and stick with our current 4 year history cycle? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :confused:

I would definitely do the WP program. It does cover a lot of history, sort of an overview of ancient through modern times. Of course, it focuses heavily on ships (18 weeks are spent on ships) flight and space.

I might be in the minority here, because I don't believe in the need to be locked to a four year history cycle. Your kids will learn a lot more pursuing an area they are really interested in, and I would not hesitate to do the WP program. I actually planned on using it, but DS just doesn't care that much about ships, so I sold it.

Michelle T

We did Ancients this year w/ MOH 1 and are doing MFW ECC next year. I thought my dc needed a break from the History cycle and wanted to focus on getting them up to speed on the world around us. Exploring Countries and Cultures will do just that. I'm not concerned about putting us behind. We'll just pick up with Rome to Reformation (if we like using MFW) or TOG Year 2 or something entirely different the next year. My oldest will be in 7th next year. My only concern was that she has yet to have a full history cycle. SHe's done bits and pieces but not a full, 4yr. rotation. I think it'll be okay. She has enough "pegs" so beg. fresh in 9th will be okay.

Greta, I've been thinking about the history cycles lately as I look at our plans for the logic and rhetoric years. While I really like the idea of a 4-year history cycle, there are very few products out there that will allow me to continue the cycles once I've completed the SOTW series. I really like the SOTW series for grammar stage. For logic stage, I was trying to use the Christine Miller series, but it has 7 books which does not fit into a 4-year cycle at all. Then I look ahead to rhetoric level. I have the Speilvogel's Western Civilization, but I can't see using this one text for 4-years of high school. I would also like to take a year to focus on American history and a year to do US Gov't & Economics. Therefore, a 4-year cycle would be difficult to maintain with the extra classes I want to include. Sorry for the rambling here, but my point is that maintaining a 4-year history cycle doesn't seem as likely as it did when I first started homeschooling. Therefore, I wouldn't worry about maintaining the integrity of the 4-year cycle in the grammar years because I'm not sure you will come out with 3 perfect cycles anyway.

I figure that even if they only get one or two rotations of the full 4 year cycle of history in, they will be so far ahead of their public school peers!

My dd is in 3rd grade and we are so enjoying the 3rd year of SOTW and supplements that we aren't going to finish this year. So 4th grade will be the rest of vol. 3 and start on vol. 4. 5th grade we'll finish vol. 4. Then I want to take a break and do more in depth with U.S. history, native American history and women's history. Followed by another 4 year cycle of history which could take 5 years again.

Definitely follow the boys' interests! Good things will come if you do.

I have been looking at the Winterpromise catalog and that unit sounds like so much fun! I say go for it! I am doing WP american story 1 this comming year, and just listening to the audio cd of SOTW3, my plan was to do the same thing next year and then perhaps do the adventures in sea and sky. If the kids like that kind of stuff, they sure will have a whole lot of "pegs" in history that they will remember! I cannot see it doing any harm at all! just my 2 cents worth.

Jenny

I'm another one that doesn't stress much any more about the 4-year cycle. WTM and programs like TOG and Biblioplan that are somewhat based on WTM are the only neoclassical programs that do that. The others have other cycles or even (gasp!) don't worry about cycling.

It will fine:)!

We did that this year, and it's been great. We have always done a lot of nature study for science, so this year we decided to do two science programs and no formal history. We are using RS4K Chem 1, and Oak Meadow's Environmental Science. It has been a nice change, and history definitely crept in on them. We took two separate fieldtrips, one to Athens and one to Rome. We are going to spend a week in Normandy next month and visit all of the WWII sites. Travel is so inexpensive over here, and there is so much to see that I feel like they are learning a lot without really knowing that they are.

--Dawn

I would definitely do the WP program. It does cover a lot of history, sort of an overview of ancient through modern times. Of course, it focuses heavily on ships (18 weeks are spent on ships) flight and space.

Good to know. Thanks! I printed the table of contents off of their web site for my 5th grader to preview.

Thanks so much to everyone who took the time to offer encouragement. I agree, Javamama, that two history rotations would still put them ahead of their public school peers. And Beth, I had been wondering the same thing about the practicality of the four year history cycle in high school. You ladies have all given me lots to think about and I appreciate your willingness to share your wisdom. :)