Menu

Teaching Textbooks

HRAAB

My 3rd gr. twins have completed the first workbook of Horizon 3. The younger of the two is becoming more and more frustrated with the fast pace of Horizon. She is getting the work done but very slowly and with much difficulty. Just in the past month she's had the distributive property, equivalent fractions, division and multiplication with re-grouping thrown at her. I think her brain is on overload. Her sister is moving along alright with the program, though. Being twins, there's the competition factor and the 'my sister's smarter than me' thing going on so I'm thinking about putting them in different programs. In any event, I will be putting the younger in a different program.

So, my question. They both took the 4th gr. placement test for TT, and got everything correct. Looking at the 5th gr. placement test, the only thing they have learned yet is adding fractions with common denominators. They could easily learn that. I looked at the table of contents and see nothing new until around Lesson 65.

Is this what others have found? Coming from a 3rd gr. math book and placing well into 5th gr? I don't want her frustrated, yet I'm surprised she would go into 5th gr.

My DD is in 4th and placed in the 6th and almost made it into 7th.

She only complained about it being too easy when we first started. Now she has asked to go to one lesson per day rather than two.

The instruction seems to be sound. I'm watching closely and supplementing when I think it is needed.

I'm curious about this too. My ds is doing Saxon 3 right now (halfway through), and I am wondering if he should go into TT4 or 5 in the fall. I figure on giving him the placement test around the end of our academic year and going from there, but looking at the online samples, TT4 looked pretty easy to him!

Is this what others have found? Coming from a 3rd gr. math book and placing well into 5th gr? I don't want her frustrated, yet I'm surprised she would go into 5th gr.

Yes. I bought TT5 for my ds at the end of 2nd grade. We're half-way through 3rd grade now and we both love it. The beginning of each level is always really easy - being a review of previous years. This works well for ds who seems to need a lot of repetition (and he loves being able to zip through the lesson, lol). New concepts are learned throughout the rest of the CDs but always with the continuous review of previous lessons. I'm not sure if we'll continue with TT next year (I have all the LoFs I'd like to try with him as well as researching other programs, like MUS or something).

i was stupid and didnt do the placement test with dd whos doing 5th and just did a few weeks back. she tested into 7th, but i decided to start 6th and just let her blow through just so we dont accidently "miss" anything.

im not sure i would go too far ahead. my 4th grader is doing 4th and needs toe remedial at this point. so i would say you might be best to start with 4th and just let them go at there own pace just to be safe :)

My DD is in 4th and placed in the 6th and almost made it into 7th.

She only complained about it being too easy when we first started. Now she has asked to go to one lesson per day rather than two.

The instruction seems to be sound. I'm watching closely and supplementing when I think it is needed.

Exactly the same here. :iagree: