Menu

Is Math Mammoth as thorough as Singapore?

In the Rain

Would I be shortchanging dd to switch from Singapore to MM?

I really like Singapore, and dd does well with it. My only complaint is the price. I buy the HIGs, textbooks and workbooks, and also have CWP. It costs me $80 per year. I haven't actually used the textbooks, but feel like I should have them "just in case I need them". :tongue_smilie: I haven't needed the 2nd grade HIG, but did use the 1st grade.

Anyhow, if MM is as complete a program as Singapore, I'd switch and spend the extra money on MCT! :lol:

Would I be shortchanging dd to switch from Singapore to MM?

I really like Singapore, and dd does well with it. My only complaint is the price. I buy the HIGs, textbooks and workbooks, and also have CWP. It costs me $80 per year. I haven't actually used the textbooks, but feel like I should have them "just in case I need them". :tongue_smilie: I haven't needed the 2nd grade HIG, but did use the 1st grade.

Anyhow, if MM is as complete a program as Singapore, I'd switch and spend the extra money on MCT! :lol:

I switched from Singapore to MM and am very happy I did. They are very comparable, although I find MM easier to use (since it's all-in-one), and I think MM's explanations are clearer and more explicit. She really walks kids through everything a step at a time, without dumbing down the curriculum at all. The author is still working on the 6th grade program (due out this summer), and she recommends that students who have finished MM5 use Singapore 6 until MM6 is available, which I think is a good indication that they are on a similar level.

Jackie

but I've never used Singapore. I like that it's a worktext with the short explanations right in it - inexpensive and easy to figure out what to buy. Also easy to use altho my kids still need explanations from the parents in about 50% of the pages ... It's our 2nd year with it - started in 4th and now doing the 5th grade worktext.

I switched from Singapore to MM and am very happy I did. They are very comparable, although I find MM easier to use (since it's all-in-one), and I think MM's explanations are clearer and more explicit. She really walks kids through everything a step at a time, without dumbing down the curriculum at all. The author is still working on the 6th grade program (due out this summer), and she recommends that students who have finished MM5 use Singapore 6 until MM6 is available, which I think is a good indication that they are on a similar level.

Jackie

We switched from Singapore to MM too. We are happy with MM.

Thanks for the responses!

For those who switched, did you do it because you were unhappy with Singapore?

Dh thinks that by the time I get it printed out in color, it may not be much cheaper than Singapore. That would have been one of my main reasons for switching. I also like the thought of 1 book instead of three, and having a little more practice. How many pages are there to print in the 3rd grade?

• 2 weeks later...
There are 282 total lesson pages for 3rd grade (Light Blue). I'm not sure what that would cost to print out, but even if Math Mammoth cost more than Singapore, I would still prefer it.

Jackie

I'm looking at switching from MUS to either Math Mammoth or Singapore, would you elaborate on why you prefer MM? (2nd grade dd)

Thanks

Angela