Menu

Science in 2nd grade

jenL

I'm beginning my research for 2nd grade, and I'm curious to hear what you've used for your science curriculum. Do you follow the suggestions in WTM for earth science and astronomy? Or, have you found a great curriculum that incorporates these?

Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks!

Granted I have only a 1st grader and pre-schooler, but we are planning on doing the WTM rotation using God's Design for Science by AIG. This year we used God's Design for Life series and next year we'll do God's Design for Heaven and Earth series.

I like that they use a 4 year set that follows WTM suggestions. The Life and Heaven & Earth series have beginner sections in each chapter for younger kids and the books can be used up through 8th grade if desired. There are activities that go with most chapters and there are worksheets for about 1/2 of the chapters. For example, on our week spent on fish, ds did 2 pages for his animal workbook - researching and reporting on 2 different fish (with mom's help researching); he made an underwater scene with foam stickers; and he did a worksheet on fins and how each help the fish swim in a different way.

Both my kids LOVE science and are excited everytime I take out the books. God's Design is not only thorough and follows the pattern of WTM, but it is fun.

We are in the middle of 2nd grade WTM science here. We have the 2 suggested Usborne encyclopedias, and do it like suggested. We read the ency. spread and any library books I have picked up on the subject. Sometimes we go to the online links and play games theres. DD7 does a narration and usually a diagram of some sort for her notebook. She reads additional books on the subject during the week. We do any activities that present themselves from the library books. I did not purchase the experiment book as we find lots in our own books, online, and in library books. Then she fills out an experiment page for her notebook. We spent a lot of time on geology, and I did buy a workbook at a teacher supply store on it that had lots of ideas in it. And we went to a geology fair because this was a new topic she was interested in. I just copied the pgs we did on geology into her notebook.

We haven't started Astronomy yet, but I was just online reserving books for it. I have no advice for you, just answering as one who is doing it.:)

Do you follow the suggestions in WTM for earth science and astronomy?

No. I recommend Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding by Dr. Nebel for science at this age. It is a wonderful inquiry-based science program. I think SWB's recommendations and resources for English and History are absolutely wonderful. But for science, I look to scientists. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Building-Foundations-Scientific-Understanding-Curriculum/dp/1432706101/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263828422&sr=8-1

No. I recommend Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding by Dr. Nebel for science at this age. It is a wonderful inquiry-based science program. I think SWB's recommendations and resources for English and History are absolutely wonderful. But for science, I look to scientists. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Building-Found...3828422&sr=8-1

I think I just figured out what to use next year. :D This book says K-2. Does it take more than a year to go through?