Menu

American Revolution DVD Recommendations

Mom0012

Guest labandbdr

My dear children both have enjoyed "Liberty KIds" series. We also use

"Great Americans for Children" series. We are able to to check them out from the library.

Liberty's Kids

Probably not for your ages, but one you might want to consider is The Patriot with Mel Gibson. It is pretty violent though, so read previews on it carefully before you decide. It's a great move however.

Good luck,

My daughter and I watched Drums along the Mowhawk a couple of weeks ago and liked it very much. This is a movie about a young frontier couple trying to make it and the break out of the war. It's about a couple of villianous torries (or one main one) stirring up the local native american population so as you can imagine from the time period, 1939, the stereotyping is offensive in many parts. Still, we loved the movie and want to see it again. Starring: (a young and gorgeous) Henry Fonda and Claudette Colbert

There is just something weird about this movie. I'm a very conservative mom who doesn't allow naughty movies but I tell you, even though this one is full of innuendo and bad language, I LOVE IT!!! We watch it every 4th of July! 1776; it's a wonderful musical about the signing of the Declaration of Independence. Love it!

The Howards of Virginia is next on our queue. I haven't seen it yet but it promises "Boston Tea Party and firebrand Patrick Henry's 'Give me liberty' speech." Starring: Cary Grant and Martha Scott. We can't wait to see it.

I saw The Patriot. I wish I could remember it better. I do remember liking it but I'm just not sure I'm ready to let me girl see it. I think I need to see it again b/f I decide.

Second, third, forth, whatever on the Liberty's Kids.

I haven't seen any of these but they're in Paula's list of movies to supplement history.

Benedict Arnold: A Question of Honor

Crossing; The (Battle of Trenton)

Founding Brothers

Founding Fathers

Madness of King George; The

New York: The Country and the City- 1609-1825

Thomas Jefferson: A Film by Ken Burns

oh, and found this in my favorites . . . can you tell we're studying this period, too?

http://digital.lib.lehigh.edu/trial/reels/resources/films/18

Edited by MomOfOneFunOne

We enjoyed Liberty's Kids, and The Revolution(History Channel). Liberty's Kids is for all ages, even my dh and I enjoyed it. The Revolution is heavy in content, and ds had to turn his head a couple of times during some battle scenes. I would only recommend for your dc's age only if they are history lovers.

Thank you! We have the liberty kids dvds and the kids have really enjoyed those. I will look into your other recommendations. I'm especially excited to hear there is a Johnny Tremain movie. We just finished reading that book a few weeks ago.

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa