Menu

Numbers...yes, literally, a numbers question

BikeBookBread

We're working on number notebooks for Kinder, starting out with 0 - 100. We'll be going back later in Kinder and adding tally marks and other kinds of counting. In first grade and adding Roman numerals to the notebooks.

I'm creating tabs for each set of tens.

This is SOOOO dumb, but I'm brain dead. For the dividers, what would you call:

0 - 9 - tens????

10 - 19 - teens

20 - 29 - twenties

30 - 39 - thirties, etc...

I would simply label them 0-9, 10-19, 20-29. I wouldn't call them tens, twenties, etc. because I think that could be confusing later when it's time to learn place value.

I'm of the same mind.

0-9 we call "units".

"Tens" is how many "Tens" there are in a number. So 29 is two 10s and nine units.

I think this is super-important for kindergarten as learning place value is key, and English names for numbers (which need to be learned eventually) can be confusing to children stating out, so it's better to use a nomenclature that makes the principle of place value most clear.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
redundant clause was buggin' me

I'm of the same mind.

0-9 we call "units".

"Tens" is how many "Tens" there are in a number. So 29 is two 10s and nine units.

I think this is super-important for kindergarten as learning place value is key, and English names for numbers (which need to be learned eventually) can be confusing to children stating out, so it's better to use a nomenclature that makes the principle of place value most clear when starting out.

Bill

Agreeing with Bill. We use Singapore and the above is how it is taught. Easier to use the terminology from the beginning.

BTW, I feel the same way about parts of speech. ;-)

Thanks everyone. I went with Bill's nomenclature, as we are using Miquon.

Smart move :D

Stick with that way of "describing" numbers. When they get adept at understanding "29" is two-10s and nine-units, THEN you can start talking about how we have "special names" for numbers. And then use BOTH. But don't drop the first way until you get "eye-rolls".

This really helps cement the ideas needed for learning place value and reduces confusing semantics. Trust me.

Also, consider purchasing a set of (10) base-10 "flats" (100s values). They cost about $12. If you use these with the C Rods (they are the same scale) with Orange Rods being "tens", a child can build number to 999 with ease.

You "write" the number, they build it. Or, you build the number and they write (or verbally tell you) what it is. First in the "special math way", such as 3 Hundreds 5 Tens 4 Units, and in time ALSO as three hundred fifty four.

After a while you can quiz them verbally giving them an "English" way of saying a number and they tell you the math way, and vice versa. Does this make sense?

This is not "in" Miquon, but is something I tried "inspired" my Miquon and the 3 wonderful teachers books. And it works great!

Once the ground-work is laid (patiently) they can then "count" to 999 effortlessly. Because my son is extremely good at "memorizing" I experimented, and purposely never had him count to 100. Instead we worked the basics. Then the first time he tried counting to 100 he did it flawlessly, because he understood the system.

Knowing the numbers to 999 is just as easy when they "get" how it works, as opposed to "memorizing" the numbers as if it is an alphabet song.

Right Start has some neat place value cards and base-10 cards (to 1000 value) that also proved quite useful in making the "concrete" to "pictorial" leap. And they are super cheap.

I love (love, love) Miquon at this age, but I felt I wanted more emphasis on place value right from the start, and was inspired by the Miquon way to find ways to teach it. I'm really pleased by the result. So I'm sharing :001_smile:

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
why listen to a man who can't spell?

Smart move

Thanks for all of the further suggestions. I ordered the Base 10 orange flats. The girls have had a hard time understanding the way numbers "work" -- I like the idea of having them build numbers using the blocks rather than figuring out the English name.

I finally read Outliers; the author's suggestion as to why numbers and math concepts come so much easier to Japanese students made so much sense. The way English names numbers is so much harder than the simple way that numbers are indicated in Japanese. This will help work around the naming hurdle.

I would simply label them 0-9, 10-19, 20-29. I wouldn't call them tens, twenties, etc. because I think that could be confusing later when it's time to learn place value.

At first I wondered what you meant, but I came back because I had an aha moment!

To put "25" in the "tens" file might be confusing because "29" has tens AND units. Only "20" and "30" etc would go in a "tens" category?

You folks are so sharp.

Julie