Menu

Why do people homeschool their dc if they don't know the material or care to know it?

But see - my ds could and does figure it out himself. My dd on the other hand, might not be able to once we get to that point since she isn't learning things as easily even in the lower grades. I think what bothers me is not that I don't see the validity of learning things ahead or with our children, or in outsourcing what we can't teach and they aren't getting on their own. What bothers me is that some of us have self learners and it doesn't seem like that is being acknowledged as a valid thing in its own right. I get the feeling (not necessarily from you, Carol, but in general) that self learners at the higher levels are seen with suspicion that they really aren't getting enough or being pushed to their potential or being evaluated enough.

Absolutely there are self-learners, and I think that thoughtful parents can determine whether they have these. What concerns me is that some posts skirt the edge of ASSUMING that every homeschooled high schooler is a self-learner, and I know for sure that that is not necessarily true. I believe that homeschooling parents as well as non-homeschooling parents have the responsibility to ensure that their children are educated to the best of their abilities, and that that means that they must know whether or not their children are learning, and they must be prepared to help their children learn if necessary--outsourcing or not. Jean, I think that we agree.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last thing I would ever do is stick my child in a boarding school and I think that is the feeling of most of the homeschoolers here.

And that's a legitimate perspective.

Just as is mine. I don't think of boarding school as an "evil" at all. It may be a less dear option to me as a mother, but if the child wants it and can handle it, and they're not too young, I really can't see why would it be "bad" by any stretch of imagination. :confused: There are excellent boarding schools out there.

As many have demonstrated here, you can get by very successfully in life without a good grasp of advanced algebra or some language.

Look, you can also "get by successfully in life" by doing financial malversations and suspicious business, right? I don't even think that "getting by successfully in life" is a big argument here, since we're talking about the quality of education and it's known that people from ALL kinds of backgrounds and educational opportunities have managed to make it, and have "managed" not to make it. Personally I separate life skills from academics - without considering the former any less important. I just don't approach education from an utilitarian perspective.

Ester Marie said "Basically, yes - when I reach that level (it's not "if" in my case, it's "when"), and when I realize that the quality of the education I can give them in our specific circumstances does not suffice, and that there are other options they could profit from way more, the girls are off to a good boarding school."

The last thing I would ever do is stick my child in a boarding school and I think that is the feeling of most of the homeschoolers here.

I think it's worth keeping in mind that Ester Maria is not an American. Most Americans have very limited experience with boarding schools, whereas for many other countries, they are either the only option or the most common option.